pclassic

Tube and Worm at night?

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anyone do well at night using the tube and Worm or do you usually switch to something else? I've had some luck during the day and was thinking about getting past my fear of being out at night in my kayak and was wondering if the tube works just as well at night. Thanks.

Edited by pclassic
Spelling

Personally I've had better results in terms of numbers during the day time with tube and worm. At night I catch fewer fish in the same areas with t&w but oftentimes they are bigger.  I think I need to experiment with varying the depth some more. I'll usually switch to a black tube after dark and that seems to help some. If I'm going to be fishing late afternoon into the evening I'll sometimes buy sand worms for t&w while there is daylight and switch to eels once it gets dark. 

I'm using the T&W during the days. Haven't fished at night in my kayak because I'm a whimp, but that's going to change this week lol. Where I fish at high tide there's no more than 7 to 9 feet of water. I've been using a weighted Santini T&W and it pretty much hits bottom not more than 25 feet behind the kayak. Should I switch to an unweighted one to get it further back. Kind of tired of catching schoolies and I've been wondering if the bait being that close to the kayak might spook the bigger ones. I haven't caught anything over 18" with the T&W, but that's a day time stat.

The Santini with braid and mono leader should go back like 50' or more if you are trolling in 15'-10' depths at 1.2-2knots. If the Bass are hitting , it's working. Try another area into the rocks and go on patrol. You will find larger eventually.

I ran the tube for years and never ran it at night....not even once but if it works for you go for it.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:13 PM, The Riddler said:

I ran the tube for years and never ran it at night....not even once but if it works for you go for it.

Why didn’t you?   Because you found that jigging big plastics at night produced or for some other reason?

I've always switched to eels at night from the pube during the day.   It just makes sense to me.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, Northshore Bob said:

Why didn’t you?   Because you found that jigging big plastics at night produced or for some other reason?

I am a results guy and prefer on the cheap and best method for me.  There is no need too run the tube at night for big bass or any bass for that matter.  Even when I first started in kayak fishing it was a buck an eel but you could catch a few on the same eel or more.  People are paying a dollar a worm now. That’s insane. 

Everybody does the pube and worm.  My grandma can catch bass on pube and worm, eels and live pogies/bunker. No challenge. 

I prefer a challenge and not be a one trick pony. 

Tossing rubber is an addiction and at times a challenge but for me it’s the best way to rake in the bass.  Especially big bass. I do not think I can do the same with eels. I get  it right where I want it.  The bass numbers I get and many others speaks volumes on what a well placed offering can do...but on the other hand you may have an angler who gets tons of monster blues at night.  Even if you pour your own baits you will lose a ton of rubber. I don’t have that problem. So some may find it easier to fish a tube at night for a number of reasons including ease of landing bass.  For me, I have no issue. 

Edited by The Riddler

It works. However, I prefer to cast eels or lures at night. It's just a preference for me. Don't be afraid to go out at night. Just stick to areas you know well to get used to being out there in the dark. Minimize the amount of gear you bring. It's so easy to get caught up fumbling with your gear in the dark. The less stuff on your boat, the more efficient you will be. Dim your sonar as low as it will go, and try not to turn on your headlamp unless you absolutely need to. You can see so much better in the dark without any lights. Wear a pfd, take some extra precautions, and for the love of God, take a buddy with you if you can. But yes, tube and worm works well at night.

5 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

It works. However, I prefer to cast eels or lures at night. It's just a preference for me. Don't be afraid to go out at night. Just stick to areas you know well to get used to being out there in the dark. Minimize the amount of gear you bring. It's so easy to get caught up fumbling with your gear in the dark. The less stuff on your boat, the more efficient you will be. Dim your sonar as low as it will go, and try not to turn on your headlamp unless you absolutely need to. You can see so much better in the dark without any lights. Wear a pfd, take some extra precautions, and for the love of God, take a buddy with you if you can. But yes, tube and worm works well at night.

I don't have any kayak friends so I'll be out there alone, but where I fish is shallow with little current. I'll pick calm nights with little wind. What lures have you had success with at night?

1 hour ago, pclassic said:

I don't have any kayak friends so I'll be out there alone, but where I fish is shallow with little current. I'll pick calm nights with little wind. What lures have you had success with at night?

I would master the 9" sluggo or the 10" Original Hogy. Hogy is a having a closeout sale right now at good prices. Pick up some 1/2oz and 3/4oz jig heads. You need a stout hook if big bass were around. Hogy Barbarian Jig heads 10/0 hooks size 1/2oz and 3/4 are worthy. It rusts kinda fast but worthy hook for bass. Hogy also has barbarian swim bait hooks with the spring. This is great for tossing rubber weightless. 10/0 size is fine.

8 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I would master the 9" sluggo or the 10" Original Hogy. Hogy is a having a closeout sale right now at good prices. Pick up some 1/2oz and 3/4oz jig heads. You need a stout hook if big bass were around. Hogy Barbarian Jig heads 10/0 hooks size 1/2oz and 3/4 are worthy. It rusts kinda fast but worthy hook for bass. Hogy also has barbarian swim bait hooks with the spring. This is great for tossing rubber weightless. 10/0 size is fine.

Thanks

13 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I am a results guy and prefer on the cheap and best method for me.  There is no need too run the tube at night for big bass or any bass for that matter.  Even when I first started in kayak fishing it was a buck an eel but you could catch a few on the same eel or more.  People are paying a dollar a worm now. That’s insane. 

Everybody does the pube and worm.  My grandma can catch bass on pube and worm, eels and live pogies/bunker. No challenge. 

I prefer a challenge and not be a one trick pony. 

Tossing rubber is an addiction and at times a challenge but for me it’s the best way to rake in the bass.  Especially big bass. I do not think I can do the same with eels. I get  it right where I want it.  The bass numbers I get and many others speaks volumes on what a well placed offering can do...but on the other hand you may have an angler who gets tons of monster blues at night.  Even if you pour your own baits you will lose a ton of rubber. I don’t have that problem. So some may find it easier to fish a tube at night for a number of reasons including ease of landing bass.  For me, I have no issue. 

You've only got a taste of what its like to have hoards of bunker pods keeping the bass gorged. It gets worse, the time will come when everything will be ignored.