levari

Van Staal Grease - Ridiculous price

Rate this topic

104 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

I use K Y jelly for all my lubrication needs..

Isn't KY Jelly waterbased?  Seems to me if your seal is worn, and some water leaks into your VS, the KY Jelly will be thinned out, and will no longer protect your VS. Which means your VS could get pregnant and have little baby VS's.  Maybe that is how VR50's came about?

1 hour ago, FlatWing said:

Isn't KY Jelly waterbased?  Seems to me if your seal is worn, and some water leaks into your VS, the KY Jelly will be thinned out, and will no longer protect your VS. Which means your VS could get pregnant and have little baby VS's.  Maybe that is how VR50's came about?

:laugh:

On 8/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, Tagman said:

This makes the most sense. It’s a freaking fishing reel. 

Levari, I would try the Penn blue lube. Penn uses it in the Torque/Slammer/SSVI reels. All these reels are sealed. I would bet the seals Penn uses are the same material as the VS seals. I’m sure it would be safe to use.

I used some penn blue on the o ring for my pool filter, as I couldn't get the two halves to seal after securing the giant triclover clamp around it. Doesn't leak anymore, but it's permanently embedded into the rubber and I get black residue coming off the (now previous) o ring if I try to wipe it.

The DuPont ptfe lube I used the next time didn't seem to go after the rubber, in fact the rubber still looks and feels like new.

The o ring is probably viton, maybe buytl.

I'll vote for the Royal Purple, which is my preferred choice in my ZB.

I've never used straight grease, been using a nice thick molasses consistency mix of superlube & gear oil on all of my vs's since day 1.

Kidding aside, most of my reels were lubricated with petroleum jelly good old Vaseline..  I process reels that are over fifty years old going strong..Now I use lithium grease.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, BillZ said:

I've never used straight grease, been using a nice thick molasses consistency mix of superlube & gear oil on all of my vs's since day 1.

That's how i do me vs reels, cept at the pinion i pack lubriplate,  still have a from years back,  i go in my shop and grab lucas gear oil or valvoline 60 wt or screaming eagle 20 50 synthetic lol it actually works better when cold 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, Sir Defyable said:

I used some penn blue on the o ring for my pool filter, as I couldn't get the two halves to seal after securing the giant triclover clamp around it. Doesn't leak anymore, but it's permanently embedded into the rubber and I get black residue coming off the (now previous) o ring if I try to wipe it.

The DuPont ptfe lube I used the next time didn't seem to go after the rubber, in fact the rubber still looks and feels like new.

The o ring is probably viton, maybe buytl.

I'll vote for the Royal Purple, which is my preferred choice in my ZB.

What weight Royal purple 75w-90?

Lubriplate 130AA is the recommended grease for MaxProp feathering sailboat propeller ($$$$$).  I perform this maint every fall when I haul out.

I like it so much I also use it on my sailboat winches, works awesome.  Mineral based, very moisture resistant, cheap.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

Yep that's the one.

73B32007-996D-4AEE-B9D1-0BB99993EBCE.jpeg

Just serviced my whole reel spool and all.  My reel runs way smoother with Royal purple. Excited to go fishing with it the next time I go out.

Super Lube for I don’t k ow how may years now without a hitch. 
I pack my old Penn 704’s and my Diawas full and no water penetration. Cheaper than a VS