Berkely 420 reel... what can you tell me?

Rate this topic

We were in a consignment shop and my son saw a neat 7' orange honey-colored rod, very moderate, that he said he "had to have".  So we made an offer and now its ours.    Name scraped off, no idea what it is.  He liked it and we got it for basically free, so thats all that matters. 

Along with it came a Berkely 420 reel.   

It seems like a decently made reel.  Yeah?  Nea?  I dont know anything about it, but it evokes Mitchell.   

The drag is a little squirrely, but otherwise seems clean and tight.    I'll clean up the drag this evening.

So, just an overall info question.  Not much on the net about them, they are on ebay for 10-25 bucks, but otherwise, what can you tell me about these reels?

Thanks in advance to the 'reel' experts.  

Yeah, thats about what I found online as well!  

I am assuming they were budget items  made by mitchell and rebadged.

I pulled the spool, cleaned  it up a little, relubed, and loaded some 10lb big game.  Noticed line lay shifted "up", leaving a huge gap on the bottom.

I made 3 shims out of the plastic from an old rapala minnow box and it layed a lot better.   Not perfect, but it doesnt need to be.

The thing took about 30,000 feet of 10lb big game.  New tip top on the rod, cleaned up the guides with some steel wool.

Middle guide foot is no longer under the wrapping.  Reel seems in perfect mechanical condition.  When I have some spare time I will open it up and relube the guts.  

Very slow/moderate action.   Thinking a jitterbug rod.  

Son #2 is pretty happy with it, and the price was perfect.