RonG

HELP!!! Central AC unit

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Problem with central AC unit, the inside coils are frozen.  I am de-icing the coils now.  Air is blowing from the wall vents, return air not being sucked into the unit. What is the possible problem that is causing that to happen.

Thanks

Change your filter! More than likely the filter is clogged. If not, you have a blockage in the return somewhere. 

Posted (edited)

Would that be the filter on the inside unit? Do I have to do anything else after changing the filter?  You say "change the filter", it that the replaceable one, fiber material?  I don't have replaceable filter, I have the electronic air cleaner. 

The fan is sucking and blowing air out the vents.  That eliminates blockage for the return air.

Edited by RonG

6 mins ago, RonG said:

Would that be the filter on the inside unit? Do I have to do anything else after changing the filter? 

Change the filter. If air is coming out of the vents then it's also being sucked into the returns - that's where the air handler gets the air from to blow it out the vents :) 

Also, the way it has been explained to me - most home AC units are designed to cool the air about 15 degrees from the ambient air temp - on a 95 degree day that would be about 80. Setting your air at 72 on a 95 degree day isn't going to allow your AC to cycle, it's going to run 100% of the time - and that's when the coils start freezing. Bump the air up a bit...better to have dry 80 degree air than have your system all froze up :o

TimS

Posted (edited)

10 mins ago, TimS said:

Also, the way it has been explained to me - most home AC units are designed to cool the air about 15 degrees from the ambient air temp - on a 95 degree day that would be about 80. Setting your air at 72 on a 95 degree day isn't going to allow your AC to cycle, it's going to run 100% of the time - and that's when the coils start freezing. Bump the air up a bit...better to have dry 80 degree air than have your system all froze up :o

Tim, the thermostat is set at 76 degrees.

The blockage could be the frozen coils?

Edited by RonG

Clean the EAC and let the fan run until water stops coming out the drain. If it freezes up after that it is either a refrigerant problem or a dirty evap coil.

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, ted527 said:

Clean the EAC and let the fan run until water stops coming out the drain. If it freezes up after that it is either a refrigerant problem or a dirty evap coil.

I have the fan running now intake vent is sucking air, output vents blowing air. 

How do I check the evap coil?  Is it on the outside unit?  Is it something I can change?

Thanks Ted

Edited by RonG

11 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Bulls Eye!

Grrrrrrr!!! Means a service call?

12 mins ago, Highlander1 said:
  35 mins ago, One Gunner said:

It's not the filter, you're low on Freon.

You put up contradicting info here. You originally say there was no air coming back to the unit. Which is it? 

If there is air coming back, then you maybe low on freon. Or it could STILL be and airflow issue. 

44 mins ago, One Gunner said:

It's not the filter, you're low on Freon.

There's absolutely no way for you to know this, especially with the conflicting info he posted. You ALWAYS look for the simplest solution, first. 

33 mins ago, ted527 said:

If there's one person in here qualified to make an assessment, it's Ted ^. 

Posted (edited)

27 mins ago, Scallywag said:

If there's one person in here qualified to make an assessment, it's Ted ^. 

^^^^^ I agree with you.  Maybe redfishkiller might chime in??

In the past Ted has helped me.

Sorry about the confusion about the air flow.  I didn't open the panels to check the unit for the return air problem.  After removing the panels saw the coil frozen (blocked foils), cause of blocking return air.

I have the fan on right now, return vent is sucking air, output vents blowing air.

Edited by RonG

It's fine, I get it. I just didn't like how two others weighed in saying its low on freon without checking or having all the info.