Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turboandy

Trilene big game trouble ?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I spooled my spinners with Trilene Big Game 12 # test a few months ago. I am having trouble with the line wraping arount the tip guide more and more on casting. Anyone have any suggestions ? Maybee a line with more spring to it? I appreciate any input. You guys are the best.

That's an unusual complaint. Sounds like you have a lot of twist in your line - I can't see that happening any other way. Even if line is correctly installed on a spinning reel, twist does accumulate with time, and it's all too easy to install twist without meaning to. The usual practice is to spool up your reel with the line coming off the line spool in the same direction as it's going on to the spinner spool. Check often to see if twisties are showing up by letting the line hang loosely between spool and reel; when they appear, swap ends on the line spool for a few moments. Most people don't take the time to check for twist as often as they should.

If you can, respool a reel using a big, one or two pound bulk spool. This gives fewer twists per yard.

Twists build up with use, too. Cranking the reel against a running fish will install twist very quickly. Lures or rig that spin on retrieve will mess you up too.

Trilene is a very well-behaved product, it's not the source of the problem.

Turbo, Brian's fine post may well be all you need to follow up on to resolve this; it definitely ain't the line. One other thing occurs to me... I believe you once mentioned having acquired some 15 foot surf rods. If it's on these behemoths that the problem seems to crop up, it's quite possible that your terminal tackle is - on the cast - coming forward below the plane of your tiptop and wrapping it up good from time to time. That's an awful lot of rod for anyone to try to cast; I don't own anything longer than an 11 footer and most often it's a tenner that tops out the arsenal. Twelve and a half seems to be about the max for even the hardest of the hardcores these days. Any of those 15 footers I've ever seen had tip sections that were hopelessly soft, making them all the more ornery for unloading a good cast.

I agree with my learned buddies here, line twist definitely sounds like the culprit. Big Game is my mono of choice for the few applications I still utilize mono for, it's the best on a dollar-for-dollar basis and I've had few problems with it--even on spin tackle. And a springier line--one with more memory--is only going to twist worse.

A barrel swivel should reduce twist at least a little bit. I've noticed, when chunking in the Canal, a piece of bait on a line without a swivel spins like a top in the current. When I use a swivel, no spin. Most twist problems, however, are caused by spooling line incorreectly at first, and by reeling against the drag.

Turboandy, I, too support Brian's thinking. I may be the world's biggest fan of Trilene Big Game line. I have used it for years and liked it a lot. But if you want to see what clinched me as a life-time user of this line take a peek over on the photo pages and look at that monster bullred I caught last summer on,...what?....you got it! 12 lb test (fish weighed about 40 to 45 lbs)Trilene Big Game. I wasnt' fishing for that hoss but That line didn't let me down.

It has low memory, casts great, and has loads of strength. I can't see myself ever changing to any other brand...W.J.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your assistance. With your input digested I will start using swivels and I also think I am going to add a guide between the tip guide and the one next to it. I do drop the line when I cast as I cast in a semi pendilum motion.Thanks again everyone

I agree with the other fella's here, sounds like line twist to me. When I used to use mono, this would happen over a period of time with the same results, the line wrapping around the tip of the rod and it can get very frustrating. mad.gif

If your throwing alot of metal or lures that are prone to spinning this will happen more frequently. One way to correct this is to carry a 1 ounce drail with the bead chain running through it. When you start to notice some line twist, take a couple of casts with the drail and reel it in with a fast retrieve, this should help. smile.gif

If your fishing where there is a good current, take the line with nothing on it, and let it drift back in the current, give it a second to unwravel and reel it back in, this usually eliminates all the line twist. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I witnessed these tree trunks being cast and the tip does seem to bounce a bit. I didn't get close as he casted to see if the line wrapped the tip on loading the line. I was afraid.

Hi Andy! smile.gif

Dave