bob_G

This speaks for itself

Rate this topic

175 posts in this topic

As much as i hate regulations and licensing stuff, perhaps requiring a separate canal fishing license and a tag system ? Charge enough ( 50 to 100?) to fund a dedicated canal patrol that stays on site.

make the license a photo i.d that shows name and address easily that has to be displayed so we can all see who is here and keep everyone honest? 

I usually make 8 to 10 canal trips a season (and have done so for the last dozen years) and i do think fishing here is a privilege.  I have yet to get there this year, partly because of work and partly because of what I have been reading .

1 hour ago, K Foley said:

I must be missing the "lnviting" part. Have not seen that myself.:laugh:

"Be inviting" for example - some one comes to the site, asks how to fish the canal and people give advice on what to use, how to use it etc 

A lot of people keep local information a secret and it takes an outsider who is committed time and effort to study local ways to learn the tricks associated to the area.

6 hours ago, Malsow said:

I'll say it again....

If everyone is so worried about the crowds at the canal, then why are people so quick to give advice to visiting fisherman. Why not let them struggle and not return? Instead, people here dole out advice and then complain that more and more are fishing the canal. 

There is a lot of info on this site already. Maybe an agreement should be made to no longer provide additional information

Blame it on social media all you want - THIS IS SOCIAL MEDIA

What is this special advice you speak of. There are many days where it takes no special skills to catch at the canal. Just cast to breaking fish and reel them in. That’s why the crowds fish there. It’s easy... sometimes 

2 mins ago, z-man said:

What is this special advice you speak of. There are many days where it takes no special skills to catch at the canal. Just cast to breaking fish and reel them in. That’s why the crowds fish there. It’s easy... sometimes 

Any spot can be easy at time. Any type of fishing. I'm sure guys walk up to the open beach and find blitzes too. Open ocean same thing. Not sure what your point is. 

There once was a time that people found the canal intimidating. Not bc of tough guys or blow hards but bc the techniques weren't understood. That information has been shared exponentially and continues to be. 

There has been all sorts of ideas floated on this site on how to manage the crowds, protect the fishery etc. Most have been unrealistic. Could people here stop passing on tips? Maybe, I dont know...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Question - if you were fishing and hooking up left and right using a certain lure and 15 other guys you didn't know and never seen before showed up and cant hook up would you tell them to use whatever it is you're throwing??

Edited by Malsow
Typo

3 mins ago, Malsow said:

Question - if you were fishing and hooking in left and right using a certain lure and 15 other guys you didn't know and never seen before showed up and cant hook up would you tell them to use whatever it is you're throwing??

Unless it was Ray Charles and the Sisters of the blind, I think they'd figure it out on their own. :laugh:

5 hours ago, clambellies said:

I'm sure the fishemen of NC feel the exact same way when the liscense plates from Mass show up on their beaches.    It all evens out.

These are not public beaches or areas I expect to see visitors.  Sure any state park or public access spot I always expect to have company.  The canal, any state park, or the national sea shore these are the same as me showing up to the public portions of the outer banks.  I have no issue with that at all.

When out of state guys are illegally street parking in a neighborhood that I park legally further away then walk or bike to be respectful of the locals is what i am referring to.  They get some location from a facebook group don't bother to think about residents and piss  everyone off.  That is something that is a new technology driven thing.  I picked up another 2 garbage bags of trash from an area that I fish where last time six out of state guys showed up parked illegally and trashed the place.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

Unless it was Ray Charles and the Sisters of the blind, I think they'd figure it out on their own. :laugh:

I've been in situations where guys haven't. 

Also maybe I'm throwing a 6 oz white bucktail the guys next sees it, looks at what he has and throws a 1 oz. Do I extend myself and explain to him what to use?

And back to you point - let them figure it out on their own. There is no problem learning that way. 

Edited by Malsow
Typo

3 mins ago, Malsow said:

Question - if you were fishing and hooking up left and right using a certain lure and 15 other guys you didn't know and never seen before showed up and cant hook up would you tell them to use whatever it is you're throwing??

If 15 guys showed up and watched you I don't think you would have to tell them what you were throwing and how to use it. They "might" be able to figure it out. Do you think.?The "Canal" challenge was made MUCH easier with the new spinning equipment and braid. Not so much this site that does not publish the dates and times of the breaking tides. One of the better secrets I overheard was from Walter "E" and that was mackerel pellets the best attracting bait ever.

5 mins ago, K Foley said:

…. One of the better secrets I overheard was from Walter "E" and that was mackerel pellets the best attracting bait ever.

Thankfully, Walter shared this with some and didn't take this secret to the grave with him.

5 mins ago, K Foley said:

If 15 guys showed up and watched you I don't think you would have to tell them what you were throwing and how to use it. They "might" be able to figure it out. Do you think.?The "Canal" challenge was made MUCH easier with the new spinning equipment and braid. Not so much this site that does not publish the dates and times of the breaking tides. One of the better secrets I overheard was from Walter "E" and that was mackerel pellets the best attracting bait ever.

I'm not blaming this site for crowds at the canal. Does this site add to it? Probably.  I just think its counter-intuitive to complain about crowds and extend an inviting atmosphere to the uninitiated. 

In all honest, I very rarely deal with crowds. I've had my fair share of good fish this year without having to deal with crowds. I've also witnessed the spectacle the canal can become and  it can be amusing bc I can leave it bc I'm not desperately trying to get on fish.

This conversation I've brought up doesn't really matter to me as much as you may think. It just seems logical to me...

Do as you please but I can debate this all day and will. Keep it coming...

2 hours ago, K Foley said:

Kevin, I still have 3 jars of mackerel pellets, that Walter gave me about 6 years ago, next time I see you I'll give them to you, you no where I park

1 hour ago, burkie said:

Kevin, I still have 3 jars of mackerel pellets, that Walter gave me about 6 years ago, next time I see you I'll give them to you, you no where I park

I won't say where you park because that would be a spot burn. Walter was a pissa. He would be surprised what the Pilgrims have done to MMA and Area 51. He sure knew how to get the Pilgrim's attention with his "secret" information if they were smart enough to eaves drop on his words of wisdom. Those 3 jars could probably fetch 6 figures once the bass are hard to find again.