bob_G

This speaks for itself

Rate this topic

175 posts in this topic

Carl, I am certainly not trying to "pick on you". But the you tube video shows someo]e everybody knows not acting like a true sportsman. See if you can find the original "You Tube" feed with the sound and tell me that the fish was handled properly for a good release. Instead look what I caught. Mike L has to keep telling HIM how to release the fish. If you can't see that there is something wrong. "He" can cast better than most everybody but is NOT a great sportsman or better than some of the "REAL" Canal fisherman. I respect your wisdom on all things fishing but yiu :

"missed the boat" on what happened here no matter what day it was!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin we have known each other long enough as do others understand one thing I have been an outspoken critic of any mishandling of fish poaching situation, disrespect for the the resource and unethical sportsman to know that I do not make comments on something I have not knowledge off and make every attempt to evaluate each situation on the merits at the time. I have built my reputation as being an honest person, even though some have made attempts to taint this . I do not like to see any one characterize others in some negative manner especially when it comes to those who write about our sport and fabricate information that may not be truthful and forthright . As I posted I have not been able to view this video yet. When ever we go on these research projects it is amazing what can be gleaned from viewing and listening to the whole thing and if after I am able to view it and i come to the same conclusion as you and others , you can rest assure that I will agree in principle no matter if that person was my own FAMILY , just so you understand my commitment to my beliefs .   Keven the video being referenced in the article in regards to the Environmental Police never ever occurred is all I am saying , where the person in question was being forced to make a video on how to release fish. I have fished and observed hundreds of properly released fish by the person in question over many years that survived the ordeal of being hooked and like each of us some do not make it . When ever you are using a large plug of size and it is ingested into and below the  gills we will always have a lot of bleeding and a much higher mortality rate when you go to remove it , unless the barbs have been crushed and we still will have some mortality no matter what any one may say to the contrary . Nice to have a conversation with you and we will see if that video is still around to view.:howdy:    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Kevin we have known each other long enough as do others understand one thing I have been an outspoken critic of any mishandling of fish poaching situation, disrespect for the the resource and unethical sportsman to know that I do not make comments on something I have not knowledge off and make every attempt to evaluate each situation on the merits at the time. I have built my reputation as being an honest person, even though some have made attempts to taint this . I do not like to see any one characterize others in some negative manner especially when it comes to those who write about our sport and fabricate information that may not be truthful and forthright . As I posted I have not been able to view this video yet. When ever we go on these research projects it is amazing what can be gleaned from viewing and listening to the whole thing and if after I am able to view it and i come to the same conclusion as you and others , you can rest assure that I will agree in principle no matter if that person was my own FAMILY , just so you understand my commitment to my beliefs .   Keven the video being referenced in the article in regards to the Environmental Police never ever occurred is all I am saying , where the person in question was being forced to make a video on how to release fish. I have fished and observed hundreds of properly released fish by the person in question over many years that survived the ordeal of being hooked and like each of us some do not make it . When ever you are using a large plug of size and it is ingested into and below the  gills we will always have a lot of bleeding and a much higher mortality rate when you go to remove it , unless the barbs have been crushed and we still will have some mortality no matter what any one may say to the contrary . Nice to have a conversation with you and we will see if that video is still around to view.:howdy:    

There is no defending the actions of this so called "fisherman" in this video. It is deplorable behavior.

It's like watching a spoiled child. There was lots of coaching from the video taker to a so called seasoned fisherman, all of which he ignored to glorify himself? Watch it. Turn up the volume.

You may not be so long winded after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditch Dog said:

There is no defending the actions of this so called "fisherman" in this video. It is deplorable behavior.

It's like watching a spoiled child. There was lots of coaching from the video taker to a so called seasoned fisherman, all of which he ignored to glorify himself? Watch it. Turn up the volume.

You may not be so long winded after. 

Where can we find the video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditch Dog said:

There is no defending the actions of this so called "fisherman" in this video. It is deplorable behavior.

It's like watching a spoiled child. There was lots of coaching from the video taker to a so called seasoned fisherman, all of which he ignored to glorify himself? Watch it. Turn up the volume.

You may not be so long winded after. 

Any idea how long he kept this fish out of water for the photo op????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I found one Video. Not sure if its the same one and the end is edited. 

Just drops his plug on a fish 5' out then praises the plug. Not much to see. 

 

That's not it.  The fish was foul hooked and took quite a while to haul in with the video in question.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, b-ware said:

Any idea how long he kept this fish out of water for the photo op????????????

I watched the video several times, otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it.

 

Yes the fish was foul hooked. Ok, that happens. He beached the fish, unhooked it. He could have easily just slipped it right back into the water and release it. But for some reason he hooked it to his boga and held it up to show it's size.  Time out of water... I'd say 25 seconds at most. But it did swim off.

Ok, not the way I'd have done it, but I'm not him. On a personal note, I've known him for well over 40 years. Have fly fished and shell fished with him often. While he can be an enthusiastic self promoter, he's far from  the devil incarnate as he's been portrayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, bob_G said:

I watched the video several times, otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it.

 

Yes the fish was foul hooked. Ok, that happens. He beached the fish, unhooked it. He could have easily just slipped it right back into the water and release it. But for some reason he hooked it to his boga and held it up to show it's size.  Time out of water... I'd say 25 seconds at most. But it did swim off.

Ok, not the way I'd have done it, but I'm not him. On a personal note, I've known him for well over 40 years. Have fly fished and shell fished with him often. While he can be an enthusiastic self promoter, he's far from  the devil incarnate as he's been portrayed.

OK thanks for the info...……...

 

PS I have known him for quite a few years myself...…………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I watched the video several times, otherwise I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it.

 

Yes the fish was foul hooked. Ok, that happens. He beached the fish, unhooked it. He could have easily just slipped it right back into the water and release it. But for some reason he hooked it to his boga and held it up to show it's size.  Time out of water... I'd say 25 seconds at most. But it did swim off.

Ok, not the way I'd have done it, but I'm not him. On a personal note, I've known him for well over 40 years. Have fly fished and shell fished with him often. While he can be an enthusiastic self promoter, he's far from  the devil incarnate as he's been portrayed.

Let the rest of us see and judge it as we may...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plum Island Reservation closes its gates when the parking lots are full, might something like that be implemented with a little work? If it's full the tough sheet. If one comes out one can go in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thought but they are apples and oranges. Parker River NWR aka Plum Island refuge has only one access point for vehicles, so it's far easier to control. The Canal has many parking lots (many with gates) and many other informal pull-off access areas. It simply wouldn't work without a major reconfiguration. Furthermore, there are multiple jurisdictions at the Canal (corps, state, BSP, etc) to coordinate vs. only one at PI. 

 

The only "easy" way to limit or slow down vehicular access at the Canal is by locking the gates at night. And I say "slow down" because there are ways to circumvent it, legal or not, by parking elsewhere and biking in for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.