bob_G

This speaks for itself

Rate this topic

175 posts in this topic

Law enforcement is the only thing that's going to change any of this !!If it's catch and release and your a poacher you don't give a s*** anyways people who break the law aren't going to quit breaking the law until they got stiff penalties fines and gear confiscated including vehicles and boats catch and release also isn't going to change the litter problem that's the same thing no law enforcement nobody gives a chet

Daves article is no different then many of the posts here over the years have stated the same problems that never go away yet just get more complicated . Why should any thing david printed in a paper be any more valued then what any one else here has been saying over the years that has gone no where except down,.

Glad to see some one noticed that one place which some were saying had been closed, is still open , but that may well change by the next battle on the land and the disrespectful fishermen. 

1 hour ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

yep. How many of these a$$holes would be fishing if it was 100% catch and release?

Probably just as many. Poachers don’t care about rules. Especially when the rules are rarely enforced. 

1 min ago, z-man said:

Probably just as many. Poachers don’t care about rules. Especially when the rules are rarely enforced. 

I don't think so. It's a lot tougher to poach when possession itself is illegal. Every fish they run up to the truck is a certified illegal,and witnessed by everyone that sees them. It's much easier to enforce a no possession law than one with length and number criteria. Catch and release only with a $500 minimum fine for a first offense along with REAL enforcement would put a big dent in the number of a-holes. Second offense fines of $1000 would make the real a-holes think twice. Of course, nothing works without proper enforcement, which is severely lacking at the canal.  

4 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

I don't think so. It's a lot tougher to poach when possession itself is illegal. Every fish they run up to the truck is a certified illegal,and witnessed by everyone that sees them. It's much easier to enforce a no possession law than one with length and number criteria. Catch and release only with a $500 minimum fine for a first offense along with REAL enforcement would put a big dent in the number of a-holes. Second offense fines of $1000 would make the real a-holes think twice. Of course, nothing works without proper enforcement, which is severely lacking at the canal.  

With all due respect. Those fine sound great. But IMO no Ma judge will fine someone $500  for a fish. Most judges either have no idea regarding fishing violations, or  have far too many other things on their agenda to even pay it any regard. Honestly I doubt an egg bearing lobster brings a $500 fine?

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

With all due respect. Those fine sound great. But IMO no Ma judge will fine someone $500  for a fish. Most judges either have no idea regarding fishing violations, or  have far too many other things on their agenda to even pay it any regard. Honestly I doubt an egg bearing lobster brings a $500 fine?

I addressed that very issue with the REAL enforcement comment. The state's lack of enforcement by both the courts and the agencies is the biggest problem/challenge to address the issues at the canal. The state of Massachusetts needs to take a good look at the poor job it has done to address this matter. 

1 min ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

I addressed that very issue with the REAL enforcement comment. The state's lack of enforcement by both the courts and the agencies is the biggest problem/challenge to address the issues at the canal. The state of Massachusetts needs to take a good look at the poor job it has done to address this matter. 

However, it's not nessesarily the fault of an EPO. Granted, we all wish they were a bit more...vigelent. That aside, the leniency granted by our judicial system in matters regarding fishing violations is almost criminal in and of itself.  For decades most striper violations received a slap on the wrist if anything at all! Poachers and creeps notice stuff like that and it emboldens them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, bob_G said:

However, it's not nessesarily the fault of an EPO. Granted, we all wish they were a bit more...vigelent. That aside, the leniency granted by our judicial system in matters regarding fishing violations is almost criminal in and of itself.  For decades most striper violations received a slap on the wrist if anything at all! Poachers and creeps notice stuff like that and it emboldens them.

It ALL needs to change. The courts won't have the ability to give a slap on the wrist if the laws were written with absolute minimum fines and/or jail terms. It can't be left to the digression of some knucklehead wearing a robe.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Unfortunately, the litter problem is not only a CCC problem. It seems some folks are pigs and feel that the wide open is their garbage can. Almost everywhere I fish , including the canal, I see lots of litter. 

It happens everywhere.

I'm always amazed at how badly many "fishermen" treat the 'Chu. Every year I see beer cans, shot nip bottles, Dunks cups, soda cans, worm cups, lure packaging, etc thrown all over the place. Many "fisherman" poorly handle the fish as well.

So many just don't ****** care. I wonder where they plan on fishing once shore access places like the canal or the 'Chu are shutdown because of their behaviors.

Edited by TimS
Getting old with the skirting the autocensor

I see the nip bottles everywhere. I guess these guys figure they're small enough to disappear into the sand or too small to be noticed. When they think at all , that is. :beatin:

13 mins ago, capequahog said:

MA govt can’t manage most of its major entities do you really think they are worried about short fish poachers ?

What we have here is a total disrespect for the law, from Washington and it's politicians all the way down to the homeless druggies...…...…….Everybody is guilty of something, from speeding to driving under to tax fraud...………...

6 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Unfortunately, the litter problem is not only a CCC problem. It seems some folks are pigs and feel that the wide open is their garbage can. Almost everywhere I fish , including the canal, I see lots of litter. It is a shame that a few out there don't respect the spots that others allow us to park our vehicles and to fish. There is no quicker way to shut down a privileged location than with lots of garbage and noise.

The litter issue almost bothers me more than the rampant poaching. I can't for the life of me understand how people aren't constantly being busted for littering. There needs to be stiffer penalties.