bob_G

This speaks for itself

Rate this topic

175 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

54 mins ago, bob_G said:

Carl,

Obviously we all know this. We all know about stacking fish. I held a comm lobster and finfish licenses for 40 years, so I'm familiar with the drill.

Even if some guy poaches a few fish for sale at a future date, that does not constitute making a living as a comm fisherman. It's like the guy who works under table for years to hide his income. It's illicit money no matter how you look at it.

Edited by bob_G

57 mins ago, Tailslap said:

I've pretty much stayed out of whatever personal axe you have to grind with bob, but, this **** is getting old. It ends now. Consider this a warning. Bury the hatchet, or I'll wrack my brain to see if I remember how to give time-outs. That goes for the other people you've been flaming of late.

20 hours ago, bob_G said:

The term commercial fisherman when used in conjunction to the canal is laughable. You're allowed two fish per day, two days a week.

That sounds like a spartan living to me. :laugh:

What I don't understand is... Why is commercial fishing allowed at the canal at all? You can't guide there legally, you can't sell plugs or tackle there legally, you can't sell hot dogs and ice cream there legally. But you can perform legal fishing commerce that you yourself see as a "spartan living!" :huh:

yes its ironic. but in reality there are plenty of other illegal commercial activities that go on "under the radar" there. or at least the corps turns a blind eye to them. 

1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

What I don't understand is... Why is commercial fishing allowed at the canal at all? You can't guide there legally, you can't sell plugs or tackle there legally, you can't sell hot dogs and ice cream there legally. But you can perform legal fishing commerce that you yourself see as a "spartan living!" :huh:

Commercial striper fishing in the canal SHOULD be illegal. That would reduce the problems over there. Any other type of business is illegal over there and so should commercial striper fishing be too.

A 1st year canal googan told me the other day that he got his commercial license to harvest striped bass in order to help pay for his expensive gear. :dismay:

29 mins ago, night owl said:

Commercial striper fishing in the canal SHOULD be illegal. That would reduce the problems over there. Any other type of business is illegal over there and so should commercial striper fishing be too.

A 1st year canal googan told me the other day that he got his commercial license to harvest striped bass in order to help pay for his expensive gear. :dismay:

That's understood. I've heard that many times myself.

49 mins ago, night owl said:

That’s why the commercial striper program should be ended. Too many people participate just for extra spending money or to pay for their hobby.  This income is not needed to support their family or put food on their table. It’s a joke. If you want more money than work overtime at your real job or get a side job. Stop raping the ocean for a few extra bucks in your pocket. 

2 hours ago, night owl said:

Commercial striper fishing in the canal SHOULD be illegal. That would reduce the problems

Maybe a little...the Area 51 mayhem started a month before comm season

2 hours ago, night owl said:

I don’t think ending the commercial fishing of the canal will slow the crowds. Maybe you’ll get a 5% reduction in them if that. Majority of the canal commercial fisherman fall under the second thing you wrote guys trying to help pay for gear or some extra spending money. They wouldn’t just quit fishing the canal if commercial start, they’ll fish the canal regardless. They won’t just start beach fishing to sell commercial bass.

1 hour ago, canalsharpie said:

I don’t think ending the commercial fishing of the canal will slow the crowds. Maybe you’ll get a 5% reduction in them if that. Majority of the canal commercial fisherman fall under the second thing you wrote guys trying to help pay for gear or some extra spending money. They wouldn’t just quit fishing the canal if commercial start, they’ll fish the canal regardless. They won’t just start beach fishing to sell commercial bass.

A reduction of illegal activity is the real point, 5% or 50% doesn't matter. The problems need addressing and the commercialization of bass fishing on the canal is a small part of the problem with a clear solution already in place. Enforcing no commerce on the CCC moves in the direction of help, I'll take any help we can utilize right about now!