bob_G

This speaks for itself

Rate this topic

175 posts in this topic

With all of the new construction going on as of late inside it only stands to reason that they will need to save parking spaces for those doing the work . This will be a temperately situation I am sure . As I know of some who are still fishing that area.

Posted (edited) · Report post

it's because of construction and i believe the school football team will be practicing in next few weeks. they closed it last year for them too. I talked to someone around noon today about it down there. 

Edited by canalsharpie

I just hope they keep up the enforcement and this isn’t a one time thing.

I’d be all for upping the saltwater license fee to pay for increased enforcement.

i saw the video that is being discussed the day after it was taken. I’ll just say it passed me off and leave it at that.

Totally unrelated-lots of turkeys in downtown Cambridge again.

certain notorious poaching areas of the canal have been quieter lately. id like to think its partially due to publicized busts and increased police presence. but these are also off tides when fishing typically is slower. remains to be seen whether this lasts next week on the full moon and the weekend following it. any enforcement action at this point is better than nothing.

3 mins ago, bdowning said:

certain notorious poaching areas of the canal have been quieter lately. id like to think its partially due to publicized busts and increased police presence. but these are also off tides when fishing typically is slower. remains to be seen whether this lasts next week on the full moon and the weekend following it. any enforcement action at this point is better than nothing.

The Environmental Police where well aware of the potential poaching that would arise from the increase of bait and tidal connections, that is why they chose the date they did and at least for now did have an impact . Time will only tell for how long

1 min ago, Angler #1 said:

The Environmental Police where well aware of the potential poaching that would arise from the increase of bait and tidal connections, that is why they chose the date they did and at least for now did have an impact . Time will only tell for how long

I would hope they were well aware. They told me they received over a hundred phone calls informing them as to the poaching along the canal, and that was in the course of a couple days. 

The poaching began in June and continued right through July.  I know the EPOs have a lot on their plate, but IMO this reaction time is simply too slow. This given the fact that several live right on the Cape.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I would hope they were well aware. They told me they received over a hundred phone calls informing them as to the poaching along the canal, and that was in the course of a couple days. 

The poaching began in June and continued right through July.  I know the EPOs have a lot on their plate, but IMO this reaction time is simply too slow. This given the fact that several live right on the Cape.

Then why do you blame the out of state folks ?

It’s a local problem.

Shore and boat. 

It’s inbred in them.

Been going on forever.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Yup, one next door to my dad down in the Yarmouth area. 

44 mins ago, reel em in said:

Then why do you blame the out of state folks ?

It’s a local problem.

Shore and boat. 

It’s inbred in them.

Been going on forever.

Mass allows non-residents to obtain commercial licenses. A rod and reel license only costs $100 for an out-of-stater. Have you ever driven by the herring run lot on an open commercial day, during a good set of early morning tides? You'll see as many RI, CT, NY, NJ, and PA plates as MA ones.

3 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Mass allows non-residents to obtain commercial licenses. A rod and reel license only costs $100 for an out-of-stater. Have you ever driven by the herring run lot on an open commercial day, during a good set of early morning tides? You'll see as many RI, CT, NY, NJ, and PA plates as MA ones.

Are we talking poachers or  legitimate  commercial fishermen ?

I’m talking about poachers or are you saying everybody is a poacher. 

The term commercial fisherman when used in conjunction to the canal is laughable. You're allowed two fish per day, two days a week.

That sounds like a spartan living to me. :laugh:

1 min ago, bob_G said:

The term commercial fisherman when used in conjunction to the canal is laughable. You're allowed two fish per day, two days a week.

Except in some case they stack the fish on the days that are not sell-able days and do not clip the fin as the law now states they do. What you are allowed does not have any meaning to those poaching when the bite is on and they knowingly can put away enough fish to sell on the saleable days under a boat permit take

9 mins ago, bob_G said:

Who says they are making a living off it.

Pocket  money 

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Except in some case they stack the fish on the days that are not sell-able days and do not clip the fin as the law now states they do. What you are allowed does not have any meaning to those poaching when the bite is on and they knowingly can put away enough fish to sell on the saleable days under a boat permit take

Carl,

Obviously we all know this. We all know about stacking fish. I held a comm lobster and finfish licenses for 40 years, so I'm familiar with the drill.

Even if some guy poaches a few fish for sale at a future date, that does not constitute making a living as a comm fisherman. It's like the guy who works under table for years to hide his income. It's illicit money no matter how you look at it.