GreggH

Paying out line on the back cast.

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Gregg with a tail wind it is possible to shoot some or all the head that is inside the guides using a roll cast.   Depends on how much head is inside rod. With a strong head wind that is not easy but is relatively easy to do on a single back cast.

If I can I like to shoot line on both forward roll and back cast. It is easier to judge how much line to let go when releasing smaller amounts.

For clarification the forward roll cast is taken out of the air into the back cast.

In ideal cast the line on the forward roll goes out straight and pretty flat with enough energy that you can shoot some line.  It is a really good roll if you can get all of your head and your overhang outside of your rod tip

Typically it is necessary to feed some line into the back cast as well.

Wading makes it more difficult. Sinking lines do to. Waves play their part as well.

If waves are well spaced or water flat you can let your roll cast touchdown momentarily and water haul into your back cast. Roll cast does need to be out straight.

Pay as you roll out I am not quite sure what you mean. 

Mike

He means he is paying out, or feeding line on the roll cast.

1 min ago, Oakman said:

He means he is paying out, or feeding line on the roll cast.

Yes. But does he mean using a roll to just get line out side of rod tip onto the water. You could do several rolls or just one. Or is he saying actually shooting line on the roll cast. A single roll cast.

Also need to know if he is picking that roll cast out of the air or off the water.

mikey

I strip the line until the head is 10" outside my tip, lift rod, roll out letting 3-4 feet of running line. As soon as the fly hit's the water I lift and back cast. Depending on how smooth that was I may let it rip with no false cast. This is where my confusion was. I thought is was a no no to false cast the 2 handed overhead. Thanks for all your help on this fella's. BTW-  The rod handle is placed/pinned just below the arm pit for my Opal DBL haul. Video soon. 

DR3A1998.JPG

1 hour ago, GreggH said:

Thanks for all your help on this fella's. BTW-  The rod handle is placed/pinned just below the arm pit for my Opal DBL haul. Video soon. 

I stand corrected. Apparently we are now double hauling our THers.  The no no to false casting is the ideal goal = more time with the fly in the water, less effort spent in the day casting and not fishing.  Fishing situations most often dictate some compromise.  Do what you have to do to make a cast, with the goal in mind, nature doesn't always cooperate.

1 min ago, Oakman said:

I stand corrected. Apparently we are now double hauling our THers.  The no no to false casting is the ideal goal = more time with the fly in the water, less effort spent in the day casting and not fishing.  Fishing situations most often dictate some compromise.  Do what you have to do to make a cast, with the goal in mind, nature doesn't always cooperate.

Oak, you are correct. This post was all about the 2 handed overhead. The dble haul talk was from another post.

6 mins ago, GreggH said:

Oak, you are correct. This post was all about the 2 handed overhead. The dble haul talk was from another post.

Sweet!  like being correct.  

But the point I think is important to all these discussion is that flexibility is key to good TH fishing.  Practice is exemplary, but the ability to adjust in the field when it doesn't go like practice can make a deplorable situation fishable. 

Ok Gregg so you are roll casting your line onto the water and then  go into a single back cast and deliver.

It is not a no no to false cast with a TH. 

It is conditions which for me at any rate determine if it’s possible to false cast or not.

A busy surf then it’s a lift roll cast one back cast and go. No time to false cast.

If there is time to put in a false cast and it’s needed because the line is not set up properly on the first sequence then best to do it.

Have you tried being less ambitious with your roll cast and getting it into the air and flat so you take it out of the air when you go into your back cast.

Tough with an 11 footer to get everything clear on a single roll cast. Much easier to share it between the roll and back cast.

Not sure if this  helps.

mike

Irrespective which post it is the issue is getting the head out side the rod tip and to do that we need to shoot some line.

No matter that DH are put into the equation with Greggs cast

I have seen Gregg do this but it was a few years ago and-my memory can’t recall exactly how it was done.

In normal TH cast of course line speed comes from Anglers skill and rod length.

mike

Hi all

I'm on a fishing trip  as I write this. Been using the OPal 9-10( with OBS 12F) quite heavily for the first time in small surf conditions...

Love it.

My fly has never been that wet for that long...You know what I mean....

Best for me is to strip while walking back up the beach as fish is striking close to the lip. I keep the head out with about a foot of running line, roll cast to get anchor point( loading the rod) than shoot.No false casting. I use a basket.

Best advice came from CRUNCH....I keep my rod as vertical as possible(No kiddin...) while casting and it works good for me.I used to go sideways but encountered problems with loop.

I can cast right or left, right is better of course. Practical distance I guess is around 70-80 feet in good conditions with a 6 in deceiver.

Like some members mentioned, the whole thing depends highly on the capacity of the caster to adapt with the conditions, either wind or waves...

I was thinking of selling it. 

I changed my mind.

Just love it.

Cheers

^..^

Good for you snapper. Sometimes it’s the gear and sometimes it is us. Glad you have it sorted. You can move forward from here as far  as you want to go.

mike

1 hour ago, snapper1 said:

Hi all

I'm on a fishing trip  as I write this. Been using the OPal 9-10( with OBS 12F) quite heavily for the first time in small surf conditions...

Love it.

My fly has never been that wet for that long...You know what I mean....

Best for me is to strip while walking back up the beach as fish is striking close to the lip. I keep the head out with about a foot of running line, roll cast to get anchor point( loading the rod) than shoot.No false casting. I use a basket.

Best advice came from CRUNCH....I keep my rod as vertical as possible(No kiddin...) while casting and it works good for me.I used to go sideways but encountered problems with loop.

I can cast right or left, right is better of course. Practical distance I guess is around 70-80 feet in good conditions with a 6 in deceiver.

Like some members mentioned, the whole thing depends highly on the capacity of the caster to adapt with the conditions, either wind or waves...

I was thinking of selling it. 

I changed my mind.

Just love it.

Cheers

^..^

Heh heh heh, wait 'till you cast one of Mike's rods, you'll be ruined. . .

For some reason I did not read the fine print.  I just assumed that we were referring to the old one handed fly casting routine.

Sorry  for my reply.

FT