Hoan

Is yeti the best cooler around ?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Check out pelicans.  I have one of those and a Yeti, and the Pelican definitely keeps ice longer by a good margin.  Also, they're all heavy.  Pretty sure the older pelican 65 I have weighs 35lbs.

The ice available today is not as cold as the ammonia ice from the old time ice houses. The machine made ice is great for making drinks cold but doesn't hold it’s cold for long when used to keep foods. 

9 hours ago, george6308 said:

The ice available today is not as cold as the ammonia ice from the old time ice houses. The machine made ice is great for making drinks cold but doesn't hold it’s cold for long when used to keep foods. 

Ammonia ice ??

Edit - had to look that up. Ammonia was used as a refrigerant before Freon.

Edited by Sudsy

I have a 75 tundra. I received it as a gift. My only complaint is that it is heavy when empty. Even worse when full.. I use it as a stationary cooler or use it for camping.. Most recent trip was a 4 day tent trip. Packed it with 25lbs dry ice, card board layer, 16lbs reg ice and then all frozen food first with cold food at the top. Packed on a Wed night and still had reg ice on Sunday. 85-90' heat on all days. Only opened to take out the planed meal. On Saturday night I took out the still FROZEN 6 pack of Klondike bars and surprised everyone at the campfire! They have a place..I use regular igloos for the boat..

On 7/29/2019 at 10:28 PM, FishTaco10 said:

Heard somewhere that yeti lost their patent at one point and Companies Like RTIC have the same product for half the price. Buying the name at this point if that's true.  Friend has an RTIC and it holds ice just the same

Actually yeti sued rtic for using their products made by the same manufacturer. Rtic lost and sold all their inventory at a great price for those of us who heard about it. Now all their products satisfy the suit but the quality in my mind is the same. My fishing partner and I have the old Rtic and the new stuff and the quality is the same in our opinion. Eff, yeti they will never get my money.

If all brands have the same price, Yeti is the best. Downside is its weight and small capacity relative to its outer dimension. Nice features aside from keeping ice longer are the reliable screw type drain plug and rubber lid to keep fishy smell locked-up. It will be last for portability though.

9 hours ago, mandaragat said:

If all brands have the same price, Yeti is the best. Downside is its weight and small capacity relative to its outer dimension. Nice features aside from keeping ice longer are the reliable screw type drain plug and rubber lid to keep fishy smell locked-up. It will be last for portability though.

What are the features that Yeti has that Rtic doesn't?

4 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

Advertising, warranty and customer service.

That’s bout it. Not worth the difference IMO unless you really rely on or beat up on your coolers.

Edited by C.Robin

4 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

Haven't used RTIC. I use Yetis for multi-day trips but mostly use inexpensive Coleman for regular day trips.