Hoan

Is yeti the best cooler around ?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Most of the roto-molded coolers are of similar quality, many being made in the same factory. With Yeti you’re paying for brand name recognition and a good warranty. I have a few yeti things (tumblers/jugs/etc) either being gifts or something I found for clearance somewhere. I don’t think I’d fork over the money for their hard coolers unless it is seriously going to get abused. I have an RTIC hard cooler that I love, but it spends most if its time just sitting on the balcony. 

What are you using it for? If you’re keeping ice for a couple days save the money and buy an igloo elite. If you need to keep ice for several days and/or want to keep bears out of it, drop the 400 bills. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, Seadogg said:

What are you using it for? If you’re keeping ice for a couple days save the money and buy an igloo elite. If you need to keep ice for several days and/or want to keep bears out of it, drop the 400 bills. 

Exactly.  Depends on what you NEED it for.  1/2 day-day at the beach with the family...not worth the trade off in lack of capacity compared to similar size (exterior dimensions) coolers IMO.  I use the regular igloo for beach days most of the time.  The Yeti 45 I won comes out on extra long outings where I need to keep ice for extended periods....or if I feel the need to "fit in" with the crowd that frequents our beach.

Edited by FoliFish

I don’t have a Yeti cooler and I know they’re expensive compared to other brands but Yeti does pay for advertising in fishing magazines and TV shows. That’s where some of the added money is probably going. Without sponsors no fishing magazines and no fishing shows. 

I just use a 54 qt Igloo cooler for the fish and bait. I do replenish the ice each day. days food I keep in a lg little playmate. Both work fine. Last 54 qt Igloo lasted 19 years before wearing out. Only problem , They don't have a decal I can stick on my back window to impress someone.:laugh:

Edited by hunter123

According to my Google search, the tundra models are made in the U.S. and Philippines. Other Yeti models and the Yeti drinkware are made elsewhere.  I do use a Yeti exclusively for bait due to its ability to hold ice for multiple days. 

Heard somewhere that yeti lost their patent at one point and Companies Like RTIC have the same product for half the price. Buying the name at this point if that's true.  Friend has an RTIC and it holds ice just the same

6 hours ago, ecks said:

I don’t have a Yeti cooler and I know they’re expensive compared to other brands but Yeti does pay for advertising in fishing magazines and TV shows. That’s where some of the added money is probably going. Without sponsors no fishing magazines and no fishing shows. 

Maybe if they stopped TV and magazine advertising, they could lower the price by $100 and I bet the magazines and TV shows would do just fine.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged