codfish

albi lure size

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, golden said:

Well, sure you can do that - that's only barely a 1/2oz greater than a 7/8oz hogy epoxy jig, and they slice right thru the wind.  If you use one of these epoxies, either 7/8 or 1.25, it will get out there from shore plenty far, but of course, the drag in the wind if you tie a teaser fly to the end will cut the casting distance.  I've caught hundreds of albies from shore in wind, calm, rain, sun - if the bait is there, they will be there.

Yep. The best time is when the wind pushes the bait onto the beach. 7/8 epoxy won't go far into 25-30 mph on east beach.

32 mins ago, MVDCGTO said:

60g in those conditions

Yep. The 60g, 2 1/8 oz., coltsniper has a big profile which seems to help in really rough surf. Over 2 oz lures require the right rod. Typically not the same rod used to throw the 5/8 lures. Most people fishing the beaches carry 2 or more rods for covering all the different conditions encountered while casting for albies from the beach. The crowds get pretty small when the surf is big and the wind is in your face.

12 mins ago, golden said:

P-Line makes an interesting 1oz jig laser minnow, pearl, matches peanuts almost exactly, if you can find them.

I just bought one. Curious to see how it does. Great price compared to $11 epoxy jigs.

4 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Yep. The 60g, 2 1/8 oz., coltsniper has a big profile which seems to help in really rough surf. Over 2 oz lures require the right rod. Typically not the same rod used to throw the 5/8 lures. Most people fishing the beaches carry 2 or more rods for covering all the different conditions encountered while casting for albies from the beach. The crowds get pretty small when the surf is big and the wind is in your face.

Yeah in those situations I use a Aubut 8’10” rod with a 5k Gosa.  Can really launch them a mile and fight the fish very well.   For lighter tackle situations I use a 7’2” Aubut with a 4K twin power and that’s by far my favorite Albie setup ever, and I must have 10 complete combos for them lol.  

9 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

I just bought one. Curious to see how it does. Great price compared to $11 epoxy jigs.

It's funny... I was fishing a spot and they weren't hitting the epoxies at all one day, not 3/8, 5/8, or 7/8, diff colors, but the peanuts were heavy.  Tried the p-line and immediately hooked up, ending with 4 fish before I called it.  It's come though occasionally when they wouldn't hit other jigs.  It gets beat up  abit but worth keeping a couple in the box.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, MVDCGTO said:

Yeah in those situations I use a Aubut 8’10” rod with a 5k Gosa.  Can really launch them a mile and fight the fish very well.   For lighter tackle situations I use a 7’2” Aubut with a 4K twin power and that’s by far my favorite Albie setup ever, and I must have 10 complete combos for them lol.  

That's what the seasoned surfcasters do. I use 7' 6" to 9' rods. Got rid of my 4000 size Shimanos and use all 5K with 15lb braid on the reels for the light rods and 20 lb for the heavier setups. When it gets real nasty an Ultegra 5500 ci4 with 30 lb on a 9 foot rod will cast 2 1/8 into some heavy wind.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

Be sure to swap out those p line hooks... I got burned once

I switched to dressed single hooks for most of my albie jigs and have had very good luck. You get the action of a teaser and it grabs less weed

3 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

I have never used a teaser for them, here its not necessary.   Usually get well over 100 from the sand every fall

I'm clearly a beginner compared to you. 

Thanks for all the tips you're posting!

Edited by Buckscorider

8 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

I'm clearly a beginner compared to you. 

Thanks for all the tips you're posting!

If you want to use a teaser its probably a good idea to take the hooks off whatever you're throwing it with, a double hookup usually results in both fish lost and probably the $10 lure too lol.  In situations where they are on small small bait and I want to use a fly or a zoom fluke I use a casting egg to get it out there.  

Edited by MVDCGTO

My absolute best Bonito lure(and Albies tear it it too) is 5" long, almost 3" wide and 3" tall:)  Doesn't cast as bad as you might think.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:31 PM, rickhern said:

My absolute best Bonito lure(and Albies tear it it too) is 5" long, almost 3" wide and 3" tall:)  Doesn't cast as bad as you might think.

Bonito/Albie lure that is 5 by 3 By 3 inches ---- All Right -- I'll bite ---- I'm thinking a Robert's  Ranger or Bounder  or Whistler ---but I'm probably wrong  --- 3 inches tall seems a bit off. What is it? -- if you don't mind sharing.

Edited by whistlefish

If we're talking metals and epoxies, I like to throw the smallest offering (within reason - 14 gram maria is as small as I will go) I can that is required to reach the distance I need in a given area - sometimes that means over an ounce, but I don't fish those with a lot of confidence. But then on the flip side, I also go the albie snax and plugs route, which are way bigger than any metal I'd throw at them. And then to flip back the other way, I also fly fish for them and have caught them on anything from medium sized mushies down to size 4 epoxy/candy flies

2 hours ago, albacized said:

If we're talking metals and epoxies, I like to throw the smallest offering (within reason - 14 gram maria is as small as I will go) I can that is required to reach the distance I need in a given area - sometimes that means over an ounce, but I don't fish those with a lot of confidence. But then on the flip side, I also go the albie snax and plugs route, which are way bigger than any metal I'd throw at them. And then to flip back the other way, I also fly fish for them and have caught them on anything from medium sized mushies down to size 4 epoxy/candy flies

Try a 7" Hogy rubber bait in BubbleGum or Amber with a 1/4-3/8oz weighted swim hook.  I get weird looks from other guys when I switch to this until I start hooking up 2-3 for every 1 they are getting.  Sometimes it really works

Edited by MVDCGTO

7 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

Try a 7" Hogy rubber bait in BubbleGum or Amber with a 1/4-3/8oz weighted swim hook.  I get weird looks from other guys when I switch to this until I start hooking up 2-3 for every 1 they are getting.  Sometimes it really works

I've seen Albies puke up very large sandeels, so it's no surprise to me that a 7" hogy would work well under certain conditions. I get looks when I tie on a 6" ronZ in red metallic (really a dusty pink), but the results speak for themselves.