codfish

albi lure size

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

regardless of size lure use floro,they have great eyesight.  15# should do it.  If they are on rain bait a fly rod does the trick from a boat.

I wont throw anything to albies without a teaser in front of it.

Last year needed a sinking SS popper to deliver. From the sand.

Tip:  You don't need to reel at the speed of light.  a swimming, 7/8oz epoxy, retrieved moderately, will get crushed in the fish are actively feeding.  Sandeel, green, blue, silver, and pink colors should be in your box.

Also, rather than throw smaller than 5/8, stick with the 7/8 - 1.25 if on small stuff - remove the hook from the jig and tie on a stretch of 15 fluro about 20", and tie on a small albie fly.  They will crush it from shore or boat. 

Finally, the rod should be rated around 1/2 or 3/4oz - 1.5oz.  8 - 10'.  This will get these jigs out plenty far.

24 mins ago, golden said:

Tip:  You don't need to reel at the speed of light.  a swimming, 7/8oz epoxy, retrieved moderately, will get crushed in the fish are actively feeding.  Sandeel, green, blue, silver, and pink colors should be in your box.

Also, rather than throw smaller than 5/8, stick with the 7/8 - 1.25 if on small stuff - remove the hook from the jig and tie on a stretch of 15 fluro about 20", and tie on a small albie fly.  They will crush it from shore or boat. 

Finally, the rod should be rated around 1/2 or 3/4oz - 1.5oz.  8 - 10'.  This will get these jigs out plenty far.

That is a good idea. It would be quite a challenge when casting from shore into a wind. Still a good way to get a fly out there.

I just bought a 1 oz small profile epoxy jig.  Single hook (vs the treble I'm accustomed to).  Brownish color, looks soooo good.  This one is more dense than the 5/8 oz I have been throwing.  Maybe those finicky fish keyed in on small bait will show interest.

29 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

That is a good idea. It would be quite a challenge when casting from shore into a wind. Still a good way to get a fly out there.

It can be tough sometimes with the wind, with the teaser, but I've seen albies running the shoreline in windy conditions when the bait is pushed onshore.

2 mins ago, golden said:

It can be tough sometimes with the wind, with the teaser, but I've seen albies running the shoreline in windy conditions when the bait is pushed onshore.

Yep, but from the beach you use a jig to get 'out there'. Very few fish caught by the fly fishing group when an offshore wind is blowing on east beach. These are conditions where one would use a large profile heavy jig like a 42g coltsniper.

6 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Yep, but from the beach you use a jig to get 'out there'. Very few fish caught by the fly fishing group when an offshore wind is blowing on east beach. These are conditions where one would use a large profile heavy jig like a 42g coltsniper.

Well, sure you can do that - that's only barely a 1/2oz greater than a 7/8oz hogy epoxy jig, and they slice right thru the wind.  If you use one of these epoxies, either 7/8 or 1.25, it will get out there from shore plenty far, but of course, the drag in the wind if you tie a teaser fly to the end will cut the casting distance.  I've caught hundreds of albies from shore in wind, calm, rain, sun - if the bait is there, they will be there.

12 mins ago, golden said:

Well, sure you can do that - that's only barely a 1/2oz greater than a 7/8oz hogy epoxy jig, and they slice right thru the wind.  If you use one of these epoxies, either 7/8 or 1.25, it will get out there from shore plenty far, but of course, the drag in the wind if you tie a teaser fly to the end will cut the casting distance.  I've caught hundreds of albies from shore in wind, calm, rain, sun - if the bait is there, they will be there.

Those colt snipers outcast the epoxy jigs by a wide margin.  I love the 60g for distance with my 8'10" Aubut.  Only issue with the snipers is the paint chips off rather quickly but Ive slayed Albies on one with almost no paint left on it, after about the 20th fish on as many casts the guy next to me asked what color they were using and my reply was "Lead" lol

24 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

60g in those conditions

On 7/30/2019 at 9:06 AM, Buckscorider said:

I wont throw anything to albies without a teaser in front of it.

Last year needed a sinking SS popper to deliver. From the sand.

I have never used a teaser for them, here its not necessary.   Usually get well over 100 from the sand every fall

16 mins ago, MVDCGTO said:

Those colt snipers outcast the epoxy jigs by a wide margin.  I love the 60g for distance with my 8'10" Aubut.  Only issue with the snipers is the paint chips off rather quickly but Ive slayed Albies on one with almost no paint left on it, after about the 20th fish on as many casts the guy next to me asked what color they were using and my reply was "Lead" lol

I'll have to give those a go - I use the bigger ones jigging for tuna in the bluewater, longfin, etc... they crush it.

2 mins ago, golden said:

I'll have to give those a go - I use the bigger ones jigging for tuna in the bluewater, longfin, etc... they crush it.

Im annoyed Shimano stopped making them in white as that was my go to color.  Thankfully I knew in advance and stocked up but who knows how long those will last?

P-Line makes an interesting 1oz jig laser minnow, pearl, matches peanuts almost exactly, if you can find them.