codfish

albi lure size

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Do a search- plenty of info. Reading I saw a variety of sizes mentioned. 

The first one I caught hit a SS 2 3/8 popper. Every other only hit small teasers.

I don't think there is a "too small" with albies. But I probably wouldn't try to throw it with an 11 ft rod. :p

23 mins ago, bdowning said:

I don't think there is a "too small" with albies. But I probably wouldn't try to throw it with an 11 ft rod. :p

right... its more about the balance between rod, reel, line, and casting distance.  i can wing a 1.25oz epoxy (which works well for me and i typically start with) much further than a .85oz but if i drag the 1.25 right thru a school of breaking fish and no hook up i’ll keep trying different colours and as small as i can cast till they take it.

I've catch the majority of them on 5/8oz and soft plastics that weigh about that (albie snax on unweighted hooks, whatever those weigh). Next up would be 7/8 and 3/8, but have caught them on 1 1/4 as well. I have 2 main rods I'll go through, but the main rod is rated to throw 1/4 - 5/8oz, and will rocket epoxies and albie snax a good ways.

25 mins ago, nesportsman said:

I've catch the majority of them on 5/8oz and soft plastics that weigh about that (albie snax on unweighted hooks, whatever those weigh). Next up would be 7/8 and 3/8, but have caught them on 1 1/4 as well. I have 2 main rods I'll go through, but the main rod is rated to throw 1/4 - 5/8oz, and will rocket epoxies and albie snax a good ways.

Thanks for sharing:D:D

Much more important to match the hatch. When they are on micro bait, 3/8oz can be too big. When they are on squid, 2 ounces could be too small. It's not important what we like, it's more important to find out what they are keyed in on. I start with a 3/4 oz. olive back jig as a general starter baitfish pattern but keep my eyes open and change accordingly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, codfish said:

is 1/2oz to small to cast?? what size do you like to through??

Where are you casting from? Boat? Beach? Pier? Jetty? You will need to be able to cast a fair distance and many times into the wind. If you are on a beach with rough surf  into a stiff wind, 1/2 oz. is far too small. Albies will hit many different size lures. What you throw depends on what they are feeding on and conditions.  

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

2 hours ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Where are you casting from? Boat? Beach? Pier? Jetty? You will need to be able to cast a fair distance and many times into the wind. If you are on a beach with rough surf  into a stiff wind, 1/2 oz. is far too small. Albies will hit many different size lures. What you throw depends on what they are feeding on and conditions.  

Personally I agree that 1/2oz is too light for shore casting but guys still do and still catch. I have figured out that the size/color usually doesnt matter. The lure just needs to be in the right place at the right time. From shore I never throw anything under 1oz and usually am throwing 1.25oz or 1.4oz 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, HappyonChappy said:

Personally I agree that 1/2oz is too light for shore casting but guys still do and still catch. I have figured out that the size/color usually doesnt matter. The lure just needs to be in the right place at the right time. From shore I never throw anything under 1oz and usually am throwing 1.25oz or 1.4oz 

Same here. 1 oz on East beach into a 25 mph wind doesn't cast much beyond your feet.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

3 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Much more important to match the hatch. When they are on micro bait, 3/8oz can be too big. When they are on squid, 2 ounces could be too small. It's not important what we like, it's more important to find out what they are keyed in on. I start with a 3/4 oz. olive back jig as a general starter baitfish pattern but keep my eyes open and change accordingly.

You know your stuff, thanks

3 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

^^^ Excellent.

I might acquire one of Ksong's Suzukis for a shore albie rod. 

1.2 oz Williamson gomami jig in pink is first one I go to. Then size down and change colors if they are picky. But  more often than not the pink gomami gets it done. I know they aren't eating pink bait but for some reason it catches.(stands out in the crowd maybe)I find1/2 oz  jigs can be necessary if they are inside a harbor on small bait as that's when I feel they are pickiest and match the hatch is a must.