Fluke Jetty Fishing

Rate this topic

Lost several Bucktails fishing structure off (a jetty).  Is there a particular rig that is least likely to get stuck on rocks and other bottom structure?   What would you use for Fluke?

Edited by TimS
I removed the specific jetty name from your post to make your question more general :-)

We call that "The price of admission."

I like the spire point jigsor the bullet nose, Do-it makes a mold for them, rounded point up front and a barb on the shank to hold a Gulp minnow. I like the 1/2 oz. for beach and jetty, for fluke. 

Dan Tinman, who is a member here, offers a wide variety of jigs for sale on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, it is quality stuff, and he'll answer questions with good advice.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

12 hours ago, CannotFishHelp said:

Lost several Bucktails fishing structure off (a jetty).  Is there a particular rig that is least likely to get stuck on rocks and other bottom structure?   What would you use for Fluke?

Do yourself a favor and lose the bucktail if fishing in the inlet. If you're on the beach side of a jetty where there are less rocks/snags, keep the bucktail on. 

Assuming you're fishing a bucktail with a teaser above it, sub the bucktail for a bank sinker of however much weight you feel is necessary. For most NJ inlets, 2oz is sufficient, depending on moon and tide. Your catch rate will stay the same but your snags should greatly decrease. I've been practicing this technique for years with much success.

Has anyone tried the "Magic Bottle" trick to unsnagging in the rock on jetty or inlet?

Never did it myself, but hear it works for most bank fishing.

Basically take a 2 litre soft drink bottle 3/4 filled with water  tie some line to the neck and put on a snap swivel, slide it down the line and let it float off a bit till it far out and wave action pulls the line free from a different angle.  May need to give line a quick jerk to help dislodge it.

Or the "Paperclip" trick - attach you sinker to your rig with a paper clip.  If you get a snag, tugging it hard will cause the paperclip to open up and leave the sinker behind, but your rig can be recovered.

Edited by BillHoo

What they said. Accept that you’ll get snagged. Plan accordingly. 

I usually pre-tie a rig with a built in break point. Braid 20-30#, to 20-30 lbs mono leader (or plain mono) and one or two dropper loops tied in this section of leader. Use teaser or plain gulp, or whatever else. 

Below the bottom dropper, tie a section of 10 lbs weaker leader or plain mono. I have been using a uni to uni to make a small connection point (less snaggy).

Put a single turn surgeons loop at the very bottom of the weaker leader. Sinker goes here. Assuming the sinker gets snagged, bust it off and hopefully the rest of your rig comes back still usable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, I only heard of it recently.  Wished I had used either a few months ago when jigging a sabiki off one of the jetties near an inlet.  Got snagged and I could not dislodge it.

It was not expected to be a productive day, since they were dredging that day just about 300 yards at the mouth of the inlet.  But I rarely make it up to NJ and happen to not be in a hurry to rush back to Virginia that day, so if figured to give it a try.

Edited by BillHoo

23 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

If you think it hurts losing a few bucktails to rocks just wait until you lose one that's stuck into a giant fishes mouth.  :mad:

Uggg,

You brought back memories. I relived those moments over and over again in my mind.

I keep telling myslef, if you hook a big one, take your time and have a landing spot and plan ahead of time! Have a long handeled net or gaff.

JD

Having a plan works but not when you get a swell that pushes the fish up and into a rock crevasse.  One thing I learned is there are always exceptions and they almost always happen at just the wrong time.  

Delete from SOL_Users where username like 'wasy','Seal'....