TJC

Nantucket Shoals fluke fishing

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, DannyBoycustomleather said:

That’s my buddy’s 14.6 lb fish. You have to gaff a fish like that. 

I like party boat charters because it’s all friends or friends  of friends, and a large pool. 

Thats a $500 fish, and my 10 lb took the pool the day before. 

$1000 to cover the gulp we went thru....

I don't see why they 'have' to gaff a big fluke. I've seen them drop big fluke when they couldn't get the net fast enough and grab the gaff for it... 

3 hours ago, nateD said:

Why? Just curious cuz it could definitely fit in a net.

I really don’t think a fish that big will fit in a net, and it must be hard to work one 20 Ft long, and also it’s hard to get a mess of hooks out of a net quickly, in order to net the next customers fish. These guys know the best way to do things. I don’t question an expert , they’re making a living doing this...

4 hours ago, zeke04 said:

Booked a trip for Monday, have an outfit that should be adequate but is it possible to buy bottom rigs onboard?

Mike

they give you rigs on board, they give you weights to use, just return them at end of trip, they have excellent egg sandwiches you have to order and just tip a lot, often and generously! Bring 2 rods, a 20lb for bucktailing when currents slack a bit, you should bring 4-8 oz bucktails. And a  30lb for bait, both braid.

Have fun, 

1 hour ago, DannyBoycustomleather said:

and also it’s hard to get a mess of hooks out of a net quickly, in order to net the next customers fish.

I think this is likely the reason. I’d have no problem asking the mate about it, not in a judgy way but literally out of curiosity like what experiences led them to gaff instead of net.

The only problem I have with gaffing fish is , once they put a gaff in it , I can’t chose to release it! And also the mate bounced my 12lb fluke off the gaff and it broke off, and got away, that was a bit disappointing, but I didn’t get upset, I said, I’ll just have to catch another one.

9 hours ago, zeke04 said:

Booked a trip for Monday, have an outfit that should be adequate but is it possible to buy bottom rigs onboard?

They’ll tie you a set up such as hi/lo, bait rig, etc.  I havennt seen them supply teasers and such.  Nor have I seen them on sale.  Call the office and inquire; maybe they’ll do something for you.

Just want to report on the fluke trip Monday on the Helen H. Almost a 2 hour run to the Nantucket Shoals in thick fog, started with a very slow pick at slack tide, as the current picked up it became clear that my 8 oz jigs were not going to work and would create tangles. Ended up using their rigs with 20 oz lead, not a lot of fun. The boat was maxed out and tangles were frequent, but did see some fluke approaching 10 lbs caught, although I did not get one that size. The high hooks were using gulp teasers on high low rigs. Later as the current slacked, the captain could not get a good drift and there was nothing but tangles. I would say it was a learning experience for me, but I will get the appropriate tackle and try again, probably next season. As someone mentioned in this thread, I believe the commercials have dragged that area and the fishing is not as hot as it once was.

40 mins ago, zeke04 said:

Just want to report on the fluke trip Monday on the Helen H. Almost a 2 hour run to the Nantucket Shoals in thick fog, started with a very slow pick at slack tide, as the current picked up it became clear that my 8 oz jigs were not going to work and would create tangles. Ended up using their rigs with 20 oz lead, not a lot of fun. The boat was maxed out and tangles were frequent, but did see some fluke approaching 10 lbs caught, although I did not get one that size. The high hooks were using gulp teasers on high low rigs. Later as the current slacked, the captain could not get a good drift and there was nothing but tangles. I would say it was a learning experience for me, but I will get the appropriate tackle and try again, probably next season. As someone mentioned in this thread, I believe the commercials have dragged that area and the fishing is not as hot as it once was.

Try to get on a limited load trip,two day next time.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:19 PM, DannyBoycustomleather said:

The only problem I have with gaffing fish is , once they put a gaff in it , I can’t chose to release it! And also the mate bounced my 12lb fluke off the gaff and it broke off, and got away, that was a bit disappointing, but I didn’t get upset, I said, I’ll just have to catch another one.

If your going going release it, swing it over the rail.You know the fishing is good when you try to swing slobs.Two mates are good with the gaff others average.IMHO Learn their names and yell for one of them when you get a real good one. Good job on not getting upset.

Yea, the mates were all good natured and knowledgeable , Matt is the head mate I imagine, the young lady was great at undoing my intense braid knots, and Scott dropped my fish , but hey, it’s all in fun, you gotta keep things light hearted and fun or go play golf !