TJC

Nantucket Shoals fluke fishing

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

iv been out twice this year to the shoals, using a 6'8" black hole charter special and an avet sx. Also my haddock/cod rod. This weekends trip was 5-6 lb fluke on it no problem, had a bigger at one point but he shook it. usually i have 4-6 oz bucktails, but carry some 8s. 11.2 lb was the big fish of the day. Have haddock jigged with 12 oz east of stellwagon in 200 ft and its fine even at its "2-6 oz rating". I think the 7'3" is 2-8 perhaps?, but honestly the 68 does great for my style. 30# braid helps negate any thing heavier then 12 tbh. Like someone said above, i may try 20 at some point but like the 30. 

Its definitely a big trip, we were also in that area SSS mentioned. While doable its worth doing it with a charter at least the first time. It can get hairy coming back in- was quite wet sunday at noon rounding great point. Otherwise, find some good drops and do some long drifts on a nice calm clear day early in the morning and you should have fun. 

Check out black hole, at 180 or something its a solid all around rod. Plenty of backbone for big fish, but very fun for even small guys. 

I just got back from the cape, fished with Capt Joey Huck on the Hellen h and used a 731 black hole with 20 lb braid and a 7 oz bucktail and caught a 10 lber. When currents slowed a bit, I could get the bucktail down. I also used a black widow 300 with 30 lb braid as main rod for bait and weights up to 24 oz. and lost a 12 lber at the gaff. Black hole is good for 4-8oz , black widow was a pleasure up to 18 oz but on this new moon we needed 24 and it was no fun.  My buddy caught a monster 14.6 lb fish. Great trip.

must do it again like ......now

A55CD23B-6A49-4242-8104-36EA4D667ABF.jpeg

48D0C505-D363-4D26-8D18-53D658EB3461.jpeg

16 hours ago, DannyBoycustomleather said:

I just got back from the cape, fished with Capt Joey Huck on the Hellen h and used a 731 black hole with 20 lb braid and a 7 oz bucktail and caught a 10 lber. When currents slowed a bit, I could get the bucktail down. I also used a black widow 300 with 30 lb braid as main rod for bait and weights up to 24 oz. and lost a 12 lber at the gaff. Black hole is good for 4-8oz , black widow was a pleasure up to 18 oz but on this new moon we needed 24 and it was no fun.  My buddy caught a monster 14.6 lb fish. Great trip.

must do it again like ......now

A55CD23B-6A49-4242-8104-36EA4D667ABF.jpeg

48D0C505-D363-4D26-8D18-53D658EB3461.jpeg

Gaff.... on fluke? Don't they have nets?

They gaff everything! Worked well, only fish they missed was one of mine.  These are all big fish. 6-10 lb fish gaffed all day. 

I was lifting 6lb fish and under.

this is a professional outfit, doing this for.... 30 years I’ll guess. Since last time I fished with them in sheepshead bay Bklyn, at least. They know what they’re doing. You can use their rod , reel, bait, rigs and you’ll do 

fine.  You want to try your own techniques, go for it. As I pointed out, I fished the new moon, so dead sticking a 24oz with bait was my best option. 

You want to fish similar weight as others on the boat so line lay 

And drift somewhat similar.

bow and stern corners, have room for bktling. I was on the side and only bktled when current slacked or we were shallow. I think I saw a few nets on the boat but they weren’t used. This is not back bay flukin, need to think simple heavy rigs and outfits.  Tandem hooks, on short leaders, heavy lead to stay down and close.  If you fish light, after a few fish, and tangles, weakening your rig, you run the risk of losing that mamaluke fluke that is down there.

On 7/28/2019 at 0:59 PM, TJC said:

Planning on fishing the nantucket shoals for fluke..next year ( 1st time)... charters are out for me because I don’t know anyone who would make the trip..so thinking 2 day trip on the HELEN H...Would like to bring my own gear...what do you  suggest .. all  advice appreciated ... ( rod, reel, line ) thanks

I regularly speak with a guy who is a backup captain for some party boats out of Long Island and from what he is telling me, there are far less fluke this year than past years and what is there is harder to find.

A couple of days ago I was fluke fishing between Noman's and MV and there were non-stop draggers (I saw over 25 of them, all big steel ones. About 20 headed out and 5 headed in) traversing around the west side of Martha's Vineyard and then south from the east side of Noman's. If they were headed to The GOM or George's Bank from New Bedford in "very nice weather" I would imagine the track they would take would be around the east side of MV. With that in mind, I was thinking all those draggers were headed for Nantucket Shoals to "finish off" the fluke!

They gaff everything! Worked well, only fish they missed was one of mine.  These are all big fish. 6-10 lb fish gaffed all day. 

this is a professional outfit, doing this for.... 30 years I’ll guess. Since last time I fished with them in sheepshead bay Bklyn, at least. They know what they’re doing. You can use their rod , reel, bait, rigs and you’ll do 

fine.  You want to try your own techniques, go for it. As I pointed out, I fished the new moon, so dead sticking a 24oz with bait was my best option. 

bow and stern corners, have room for bktling. I was on the side and only bktled when current slacked or we were shallow. I think I saw a few nets on the boat but they weren’t used. This is not back bay flukin, need to think simple heavy rigs and outfits.  Tandem hooks, on short leaders, heavy lead to stay down and close.  If you fish light, after a few fish, and tangles, weakening your rig, you run the risk of losing that mamaluke fluke that is down there.

8F3F2C07-1147-4924-97D5-BA6160F5EF0F.jpeg

That’s my buddy’s 14.6 lb fish. You have to gaff a fish like that. 

I like party boat charters because it’s all friends or friends  of friends, and a large pool. 

Thats a $500 fish, and my 10 lb took the pool the day before. 

$1000 to cover the gulp we went thru....

On 8/3/2019 at 0:05 PM, DannyBoycustomleather said:

I agree with your fishing descriptions, techniques although I haven’t hit 24 oz yet.

But I’ve got to caution you on incorrect terms;

The Captain is Joe Hicks not Joey.

Mamaluke is ItalianAmerican slang for a dumb person.  Marmaduke, like the dog, could be used to describe a big fish.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:10 PM, Kookermonga said:

bad influence charters does nantucket fluke all summer.  looks like a good boat and pics look like they kill it!

Jeff is probably the best captain out there and he’s very customer oriented. That’s why he’s booked a year in advance.  Watch his Facebook page for postings of openings when someone needs a fill in.  I’ve done that a number of times and always met up with good people.  I wasn’t able to get on his boat this year but did a couple trips last year; his “bad” trips are better than most peoples “good” trips.  

FYI, he was a mate on The Helen H for years.  

bad influence charters does nantucket fluke all summer.  looks like a good boat and pics look like they kill it!

Jeff is probably the best captain out there and he’s very customer oriented. That’s why he’s booked a year in advance.  Watch his Facebook page for postings of openings when someone needs a fill in.  I’ve done that a number of times and always met up with good people.  I wasn’t able to get on his boat this year but did a couple trips last year; his “bad” trips are better than most peoples “good” trips.  

I’m pretty sure the Capt. Of the Hellen H is joe HUCK, which is short for Huckemier or something similar. And I am looking to catch a big dumb mamaluke fluke.

12 hours ago, DannyBoycustomleather said:

I’m pretty sure the Capt. Of the Hellen H is joe HUCK, which is short for Huckemier or something similar. And I am looking to catch a big dumb mamaluke fluke.

Yes he usually goes by Joe Huck, but his proper name is Joseph Huckermeyer.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, DannyBoycustomleather said:

That’s my buddy’s 14.6 lb fish. You have to gaff a fish like that. 

I like party boat charters because it’s all friends or friends  of friends, and a large pool. 

Thats a $500 fish, and my 10 lb took the pool the day before. 

$1000 to cover the gulp we went thru....

Why? Just curious cuz it could definitely fit in a net.