TJC

Nantucket Shoals fluke fishing

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Planning on fishing the nantucket shoals for fluke..next year ( 1st time)... charters are out for me because I don’t know anyone who would make the trip..so thinking 2 day trip on the HELEN H...Would like to bring my own gear...what do you  suggest .. all  advice appreciated ... ( rod, reel, line ) thanks

They get some big guns out there + cod (assuming they go near the recks too). 8-12lb will be the norm out there. 

Did Helen H last year and liked it so much I went out on the Angler during the same week.  The Angler is speedy and gets you to the grounds quickly, but doesn't hit multiple spots, but it produced just as well.  Plan to go out again in a few weeks.  A good group on both boats.  

59 mins ago, Kookermonga said:

bad influence charters does nantucket fluke all summer.  looks like a good boat and pics look like they kill it!

Heard he was booked up into the middle of 2020

13 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Did Helen H last year and liked it so much I went out on the Angler during the same week.  The Angler is speedy and gets you to the grounds quickly, but doesn't hit multiple spots, but it produced just as well.  Plan to go out again in a few weeks.  A good group on both boats.  

I'm thinking on trying on my own boat this year, how far east and south of nantucket do they fish in general.  depths?

we've chartered bad influence and jimmy the greek a few times. fish from 50-120' of water, 6-10+ ounces. more or less fish a hi-lo with a squid like something tipped wiht squid, gulp, fluke belly etc. The times I've been we've fished a ways SI of Sankaty.  I wouldn't say 8-12 is the norm but 4-5 pounder easily are, with some occasional and frequent fish to 10ish pounds. Lots of nice sized seabass (20ish inches) too. some big blues. lots of dogs sometimes. 

23 hours ago, TJC said:

Planning on fishing the nantucket shoals for fluke..next year ( 1st time)... charters are out for me because I don’t know anyone who would make the trip..so thinking 2 day trip on the HELEN H...Would like to bring my own gear...what do you  suggest .. all  advice appreciated ... ( rod, reel, line ) thanks

What do you have already? People seem to think it is different than other fluke fishing, unless you never fish 50-120' feet for fluke. I'm using some Tsunami slow pitch  rods MH, H, And XH, Two with Lexas on them and one with an Avet SX. I fish 30# because thats what has worked for me for years, going to switch to 20# one of these days and see how that works on using less weight.

Never fished more than 12ozs. there on the days I fished, last time was just there for a few hours and fished 4 oz. I'm sure there are days where you go heavier but it has not been a given on the trips I have done.

Good luck, some real nice fluke there and a good way to check out and stay in Nantucket.

Don't be afraid to yell for one of the better mates if you get a nice fish, they don't all gaff the same ;-)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the help..keep it coming..lol...all my flukin is done no deeper the 35 ft....1/2 oz—2oz...bucktails..15lb braid .. I also use the tsunami rods ... I just checked on the rods you suggest ... The heaviest only goes up to 7 ounces ??  Does it handle with 10 ounces ?? Thanks

Edited by TJC

12 mins ago, TJC said:

Thanks for the help..keep it coming..lol...all my flukin is done no deeper the 35 ft....1/2 oz—2oz...bucktails..15lb braid .. I also use the tsunami rods ... I just checked on the rods you suggest ... The heaviest only goes up to 7 ounces ??  Does it handle with 10 ounces ?? Thanks

I go by line rating and H, XH and how it works for me,I always thought those ratings are for casting too.They are so inexpensive is why I tried one out. I used it for haddock also, with 14ozs in deep water GOM with no problems, it caught a lot of fish too, and that was not the XH. That is why I bought more of them and when I got up to Montauk this year the captain had one after seeing mine in action last year. He was loving it, telling me about big bass on it,(Montauk big)

I have an old Penn Torque that is rated heavy 30-80 lb with a Saltist 20 for heavier 16+,just in case. Thats only rated for 5ozs, so to me those numbers don"t apply to jigging or dragging.IMHO

Lot of good stuff out there, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Your avatar is great.

10 hours ago, Kookermonga said:

I'm thinking on trying on my own boat this year, how far east and south of nantucket do they fish in general.  depths?

You Tube has some video from Helen H (via OTW) and Jimmy the Greek.  Both give a lot of info about the bottom and depth.  Depth can be as shallow as 12' - 20'.  

11 hours ago, Kookermonga said:

All depends we have gotten just east of great point before and we have gotten them 20miles southeast of Sankaty. It's a very large area but I would look for drop offs form deep to shallow. Its not as scary as a area as people say it is honestly. Pick a day without fog for your first trip to get a feel for the area. You can see the danger areas really obviously.