Todays report

Rate this topic

saltfisherman

Well it has certainly been a while since I’ve been out fishing, has to be a good 2 months. I ended that streak by going out today. 

Water clarity is nice. 

Water has a nice smell to it too. That sounds odd but it’s a great smell to have around again. 

lots of small bait and I mean lots, bait all over the place. 

So many numerous shore birds feeding while perched on the mangrove edges. 

I did manage to get two small black drum and few snapper plus big pinfish. 

Didn't really spend too much time out, only 3 hours, the mosquitos were numerous and hungry. Zero wind this morning. 

Talking to the bait shop where I get the shrimp the owners told me more reds are being caught. Nothing big but quantity of fish. Still no trout to be found in Bonita/estero Bay Area. 

From the other side of the state, I hit the water for the first time in a month (traveling out of state). LBS said snook were on the beach so off I went for sunrise after flying in after 11pm last night. South end of Jupiter Island if anyone cares. 

Great sunrise which was obscured by a cloud extending that "sunrise" lighting by an hour or so. Fresh paths of nesting turtles up and down the beach - this has been a very busy turtle nesting season. Also, smaller turtles out in the surf. 

Managed to land two short snook (one in photos below) and one jack. Also, on third cast, jig and tail got slammed by something large which went on run for ten seconds before my braid was cut on the coral offshore. Never saw it but either a big snook or a medium jack. 

zHgSJ4ZbTcWxqKaBAltJLA.jpg.073a7ac324a1bb51e6851578e9925e70.jpg

5d3df2020553b_Gdwt2u47SHbO9HsL1kAFg.jpg.657814327bf2555925ff3fcc7e11c5e1.jpg

dOyxtOxEQSSNyMFUhOzbzA.jpg.48ce120800f5c02b6259aacf2a439f1b.jpg

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

I’ve been fishing somewhat regularly. Not too much on the beach, lots of “snot” on the edge and it gets on everything when you real in. Fishing the intracoastal with some success, a few nice trout and some jacks. Been spending more time just peddling around looking for edges and oyster bars etc. I have seen some really nice reds but by the time I see them they’ve seen me. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 0:06 PM, tomkaz said:

From the other side of the state, I hit the water for the first time in a month (traveling out of state). LBS said snook were on the beach so off I went for sunrise after flying in after 11pm last night. South end of Jupiter Island if anyone cares. 

Great sunrise which was obscured by a cloud extending that "sunrise" lighting by an hour or so. Fresh paths of nesting turtles up and down the beach - this has been a very busy turtle nesting season. Also, smaller turtles out in the surf. 

Managed to land two short snook (one in photos below) and one jack. Also, on third cast, jig and tail got slammed by something large which went on run for ten seconds before my braid was cut on the coral offshore. Never saw it but either a big snook or a medium jack. 

zHgSJ4ZbTcWxqKaBAltJLA.jpg.073a7ac324a1bb51e6851578e9925e70.jpg

5d3df2020553b_Gdwt2u47SHbO9HsL1kAFg.jpg.657814327bf2555925ff3fcc7e11c5e1.jpg

dOyxtOxEQSSNyMFUhOzbzA.jpg.48ce120800f5c02b6259aacf2a439f1b.jpg

Tom Nice

Going to try the beach tomorrow again. High tide about an hour after official sunrise. See if I can get my 19yo out of bed at 5:30.

Quit by 7:15-30, home for a shower and off to the office by 9:00. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

9 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Going to try the beach tomorrow again. High tide about an hour after official sunrise. See if I can get my 19yo out of bed at 5:30.

Quit by 7:15-30, home for a shower and off to the office by 9:00. 

Be there around the end Sept. Tomkaz... can't wait.

One of my closest friends of 45 years died suddenly this week in Tequesta. There went my free room and transportation in Jupiter. He was a lifer in Florida, didn't fish but knew where to send me. I ask him last trip how he knew the fishing, he replied he drank with the captains.

Be there late September for the memorial, and maybe the mullet run too. 

driftboat

8 mins ago, JTF said:

One of my closest friends of 45 years died suddenly this week in Tequesta. There went my free room and transportation in Jupiter. He was a lifer in Florida, didn't fish but knew where to send me. I ask him last trip how he knew the fishing, he replied he drank with the captains.

Be there late September for the memorial, and maybe the mullet run too. 

Sorry to hear that - condolences.

I'll be around end of Sept. as well & I am sure you can ping Tomcaz if you need to touch base.