oldgoat

Selling Tuna.

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Buyers in our neck of the woods just shut off buying for at least 48hours. Cant sell for 20c/lb even if you wanted to. There's no one that will buy it

We went to Fisherman's Market in New Bedford (our new fav fish market) the other day. They had beautiful bft and yft for sale, $8.49lb. Opted for the bft.  Had it the other night seared and chilled, with a spring greens salad with fresh strawberries and sliced almonds and some nice pinot noir. :drool:

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

We went to Fisherman's Market in New Bedford (our new fav fish market) the other day. They had beautiful bft and yft for sale, $8.49lb. Opted for the bft.  Had it the other night seared and chilled, with a spring greens salad with fresh strawberries and sliced almonds and some nice pinot noir. :drool:

Great market, Bob G!   

My fave as well.

Their scallops are excellent, and inexpensive as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Great market, Bob G!   

My fave as well.

You mean these scallops. $8.99lb for dry season.

IMG_20190725_192529.jpg

Edited by bob_G

14 mins ago, bob_G said:

IMG_20190725_192529.jpg

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

IMG_20190725_192529.jpg

YEP!!!!

On 7/28/2019 at 6:00 PM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

The tuna stocks are extensively managed and well kept. I can at least speak for the U.S. fish stock and say its healthy. What other nations do to their stock is their doing. It's not because the market Is flooded it's the meat quality is garbage. These fish just swam up from the gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean to here to feed. After that long journey they are very lean and deprived. This is why they are not worth anything right now. Tuna is a lot better managed than striped bass rn and I would honestly say tuna is a success story. It came back from a potential collapse and had been on the up and up

This is absolutely correct. 

I would like to add a few things to this discussion.

I have seen on many occasions this year very poor fish handling of such a great fish.Not being bled,sitting on a deck of a boat in 90 degrees baking for hours before truck arrives,no blanket,no ice.These people know better,they are just lazy.

these poorly taken care of fish people are much of the problem.

Tuna are being farmed now,perfect sized,perfect fat content,perfect everything.there is no need for our fish.

This total BS show wicked tuna has ruined things as well.Everyone now wants to become "rich" and a "star".

58 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

I have seen on many occasions this year very poor fish handling of such a great fish.Not being bled,sitting on a deck of a boat in 90 degrees baking for hours before truck arrives,no blanket,no ice.These people know better,they are just lazy.

Tuna are being farmed now,perfect sized,perfect fat content,perfect everything.there is no need for our fish.

This total BS show wicked tuna has ruined things as well.Everyone now wants to become "rich" and a "star".

100% agreed.  

On 7/29/2019 at 0:48 PM, bob_G said:

Yes, worth the trip.

They closed their retail business a few years ago, and reopened maybe 2,,3?years ago.

I was in withdrawals!

Scallop crumbs are also available,,,chunks too.

On 7/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, Southcoastphil said:

Great market, Bob G!   

My fave as well.

Didn't I turn you on to them?

On 8/7/2019 at 7:26 AM, hotfishgirl said:

One in town here the other day sat in 76° water all day waiting for a buyer.

Another sat on the deck of a boat in the sun for hours with zero ice (and there is an ice house on the pier with a hose to blow unlimited amounts onto your boat.)

I'm so happy its closed until september!!charters,lobstering,and tuna fishing is to much for me(maybe not for some)3-4 hours of sleep does not work with me well.