oldgoat

Selling Tuna.

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, chris koltz said:

At that point they should close the season

No one I know is fishing for them right now anyway. But why close the season? Someone is holding a gun to their heads to make them go tuna fishing?

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

No one I know is fishing for them right now anyway. But why close the season? Someone is holding a gun to their heads to make them go tuna fishing?

Because catching Tuna and getting 20 cents a pound for Cat food is a terrible use of our resources. I'M from the if it's legal do what you want camp but something is out of whack here.IMO

35 mins ago, chris koltz said:

Because catching Tuna and getting 20 cents a pound for Cat food is a terrible use of our resources. I'M from the if it's legal do what you want camp but something is out of whack here.IMO

I hear you. But it doesn't seem to be a problem right now. Not many are fishing for them and it seems like no one is keeping them. 

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I hear you. But it doesn't seem to be a problem right now. Not many are fishing for them and it seems like no one is keeping them. 

Lots are still fishing and lots are still keeping. Tons of fish got killed this past week. 

1 hour ago, chris koltz said:

Dead Tuna is a dead Tuna irrespective of the price paid for it.

5 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Dead Tuna is a dead Tuna irrespective of the price paid for it.

If the market is down to 20 cents a pound there is a major over harvest. These over harvest situation can destroy fish stocks.

Just now, chris koltz said:

If the market is down to 20 cents a pound there is a major over harvest. These over harvest situation can destroy fish stocks.

The tuna stocks are extensively managed and well kept. I can at least speak for the U.S. fish stock and say its healthy. What other nations do to their stock is their doing. It's not because the market Is flooded it's the meat quality is garbage. These fish just swam up from the gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean to here to feed. After that long journey they are very lean and deprived. This is why they are not worth anything right now. Tuna is a lot better managed than striped bass rn and I would honestly say tuna is a success story. It came back from a potential collapse and had been on the up and up

Posted (edited) · Report post

All the stories you hear about dismal dock prices are totally true, highlighting what total BS Wicked Tuna is.  I can't wait to watch this season's shows where everyone is getting $15+ a pound.  Then you should all be calling BS...

Some fish are being sold and marketed, but the markup at seafood stores is nuts, upwards of $20/lb for BFT.  I've had it a couple of times this week, just delicious, but wish the price was more in line with the auction price.

As for the color, it's sad that very few consumers know that in many cases yellowfin looks light red because it's been gassed with carbon monoxide.  This is very common in "frozen at sea" operations.  CO treatment would also make bluefin look lighter. but thankfully nobody believes in doing it, at least not now.

Edited by Roccus7

Is Tuna seen predominantly as a sports fish or a for profit fish.

Is it possible to C and R Tuna or do they mostly die after a fight on rod and line.

Genuine questions.

Thanks

Mike

14 hours ago, chris koltz said:

How?

I saw two BFT's getting div'd up on the docks over this past weekend when I was coming/going on our bass charters. They had no one to buy em so they kept em for the freezer.. It's brutal right now.. 

We got two one day about a month ago and another did 2.00/lb and the other did 4.00lb... next day, they shut off the buying.  Unreal. Swift kick to the balls.

16 hours ago, chris koltz said:

They have an allocated quota set every year. Doesn’t matter if the fish are caught in 3 days or 3 months, there is a maximum set amount that can be harvested. The low market is an indication that there is an abundant resource available right now which in my mind is a good thing. It would behoove the powers at be to limit the daily retention of fish during the beginning of the season so that this lull in price doesn’t happen. That’s just my opinion tho

I feel the season should start off at one fish per day while the quality is down......if necessary bump it up later in the season as the quota dictates.

quality and value of fish will be much better later.