fishtheeast

Dark Matter Surf Rod

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone see these in person yet or fish them? They look pretty nice...Fuji components, grip similar to st. Croix legend, “nano carbon” design. Only comes in a 10ft medium, moderate fast action.   $300

E01ABC03-9E45-4360-A789-E114E628E78A.jpeg

187E9A18-FB9E-4AE4-BEF7-946039F6B6DB.jpeg

09BD4376-B1AA-4D53-AB94-839496509E67.jpeg

Edited by fishtheeast

J&H had one run of rods made by Lamiglas that were excellent, but that was years ago. I've heard and seen nothing on their other house brands, sloopster and so on.

The other dark matter rods they made seem to have done well. Skinner did a video with one of them. It’s cool to see a custom rod type grip on a factory rod, I wish more companies would do that. 

Got home from getting chased off the beach by some storms...some how managed a category 3 sunburn...and was greeted by a mystery box about 8 feet tall at my doorstep.

Unbeknownst to me Josh sent me one of these sticks.  (usually I get a pic of a packaging label and it's always been something I requested..I'm still waiting for him to punk me since he knows I open stuff on camera...I hope he doesn't read that)

11.5/.6 ounces on the scale.

Stainless K framed fuji sic guides and top 

32" from reel seat to first guide (Fuji K sic 40) 7 total guides including tip

paracord under a pretty grippy rubbery shrink wrap

Hard plastic butt cap (not a sticky rubber butt cap.)

Fuji seat

Build quality / fit finish/ butt joint grip 100% mint

Epoxy is excellent

Thread work and subtle details look great winding checks are aluminum and sized perfectly.

Graphics....Very Slick....no Holograms...  No gloss other than thread coat..no fancy colors....very stealth.  Lettering is flat white and Dark Matter Logo is a pencil thin white border with flat black .

60/40 split

As far as the flexy bendy wavy stuff goes (scientific method.....carpets were involved)

I wouldn't call it a fast action....more of a mod fast.  

It bends like a 9'6 tiralejo (just loaded them side by side but has a bit more power)

It's a slightly "'faster action" than the original 10 tiralejo 10 footer but feels like it has a tad less power.

***I never fished it cast it or even had it outside

He didn't tell me to talk about it or put out a vid.........but at the same time he knows I'm chatty lol.

I was skeptical as to wheter a 1 rod series of surf sticks was going to be anything special when he mentioned it in passing last year.   But it has the fit finish, weight, feel and lego parts of a stick in it's price range...

(some more expensive lego parts than most.

That 40 stripper is a 28$ guide on mudhole...an alconite is 15 and a fazlite 30 is 8).  I'd rather a rubber butt but it's got a nice half inch chamfered edge so I can wrap some silicon self adhering tape on it and it'll be nice and grippy on my waders.  SO no harm no foul.

It feels the part....nice and lively...Many of the 200$ sticks out there feel sorta dead..like a pvc tube...Not the case with this.  And it has the pricier components.   

Ehh. Not a fan. Dealing with josh for any warranty issues is enough to scare me away. There’s nicer options out there in that price point. 

8 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Got home from getting chased off the beach by some storms...some how managed a category 3 sunburn...and was greeted by a mystery box about 8 feet tall at my doorstep.

Unbeknownst to me Josh sent me one of these sticks.  (usually I get a pic of a packaging label and it's always been something I requested..I'm still waiting for him to punk me since he knows I open stuff on camera...I hope he doesn't read that)

11.5/.6 ounces on the scale.

Stainless K framed fuji sic guides and top 

32" from reel seat to first guide (Fuji K sic 40) 7 total guides including tip

paracord under a pretty grippy rubbery shrink wrap

Hard plastic butt cap (not a sticky rubber butt cap.)

Fuji seat

Build quality / fit finish/ butt joint grip 100% mint

Epoxy is excellent

Thread work and subtle details look great winding checks are aluminum and sized perfectly.

Graphics....Very Slick....no Holograms...  No gloss other than thread coat..no fancy colors....very stealth.  Lettering is flat white and Dark Matter Logo is a pencil thin white border with flat black .

60/40 split

As far as the flexy bendy wavy stuff goes (scientific method.....carpets were involved)

I wouldn't call it a fast action....more of a mod fast.  

It bends like a 9'6 tiralejo (just loaded them side by side but has a bit more power)

It's a slightly "'faster action" than the original 10 tiralejo 10 footer but feels like it has a tad less power.

***I never fished it cast it or even had it outside

He didn't tell me to talk about it or put out a vid.........but at the same time he knows I'm chatty lol.

I was skeptical as to wheter a 1 rod series of surf sticks was going to be anything special when he mentioned it in passing last year.   But it has the fit finish, weight, feel and lego parts of a stick in it's price range...

(some more expensive lego parts than most.

That 40 stripper is a 28$ guide on mudhole...an alconite is 15 and a fazlite 30 is 8).  I'd rather a rubber butt but it's got a nice half inch chamfered edge so I can wrap some silicon self adhering tape on it and it'll be nice and grippy on my waders.  SO no harm no foul.

It feels the part....nice and lively...Many of the 200$ sticks out there feel sorta dead..like a pvc tube...Not the case with this.  And it has the pricier components.   

Thanks! Sounds legit, might have to get one and try it out. 

On 7/27/2019 at 2:48 PM, BrianBM said:

J&H had one run of rods made by Lamiglas that were excellent, but that was years ago. I've heard and seen nothing on their other house brands, sloopster and so on.

I think it was the beachmaster  or surfking 1 peice it was my favorite pencil rod  ! But I left it at my old house while moving and never went back to pick it up smh such a nice rod..  :waah:

On 8/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, MikedNJ said:

Ehh. Not a fan. Dealing with josh for any warranty issues is enough to scare me away. There’s nicer options out there in that price point. 

What didn’t you like about the rod?