Kones1

Frank Mundus

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Back in the 80’s I fished with ol’Crazy Frank for a few years and was wondering if anyone else had that privilege who visits here.  The 4 and 5 day trips out to the canyons were the greatest adventures. Always packed 4 or 500 rounds of ammo. Ate fryed flipper. Caught huge tuna. Killed huge sharks. Times were different then and we weren’t so conservation minded. Sustainable wasn’t considered as there seemed to be an endless supply of all sea dwelling creatures   

He would be out in Montauk today dragging that Humpback instead of the CG doing it, to feed it to GW's 

not sure why you would think it was a privilage to fish with Mundus,there were many captains in Montauk who were known to catch fish,who were not egomanics

And today there is not a single man left that can say they did what he did. A privilege indeed to have fished with a wild and whacky dude like him. A time and era gone by. I fished with a few just like him from Canada to the Keys and loved them all. I wish I could find men like them again as I would happily spend time with them   Legends brother. True legends 

He treated me fairly and we had good times. I liked him. A mans man. Batsczhitt crazy and egotistical.  All good things to me

16 hours ago, Sandflee said:

He would be out in Montauk today dragging that Humpback instead of the CG doing it, to feed it to GW's 

This was so idiotic that I had to read it twice (the article about the whale not your post).  

They find a dead humpback 6 miles offshore with shark bites all over it and decide that it’s a good idea to spend the time and money to drag this thing IN to the main public town beach (and close the beach for the day) so they can put it on a flatbed to autopsy then dispose of it? 

Now they have drones and lifeguards in surfboats just beyond the swimming area watching for sharks. Dead whale chumslick will lead directly to the most crowded beach in Montauk.  

Frank was a cool guy. Never fished with him but drank plenty of cold beer almost every Friday night sitting on his front lawn on Flamingo drive. Back in those days he was living in one of the leisureama houses. Last time I saw him I bumped into him on the main drag in Kailua-Kona and we went for a drink at the Kona Inn.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:09 AM, NoFlukenName said:

His daughter Pat is a few slips down from me in Greenport.  Here’s a short article she penned on her dad.  FYI - she pilots a blow boat and you can charter her out for a cruise (and I’m sure hear first hand many stories about her dad).

https://east.easthamptonstar.com/170710/monster-man

Nice read. Thanks for sharing this.

Yes Frank was a rough guy. I fished on the Cricket once. I was invited to participate on a shark trip, which someone from the party that booked the trip had cancelled last minute. My first impression of Frank was to stay away. He didn’t  seem to like any of the city people (all bankers) that we’re on the boat. When I arrived on the dock, I noticed a wooden platform that was laid on the dock in front of the Cricket. He had done a commercial for Newport cigarettes.” Circle of winners”. 

There was a 600 lb. Dusky hanging from the boat.  We went out that evening, dropped the Dusky in  the bay and went 26 miles out . In the morning we had sharks all around us. Everyone of those bankers were green when they got up. Poor guys we’re so sea sick. No one wanted to fish. Frank asked me if I wanted to catch some sharks which I did. Frank made these guys get up and each one had to catch a shark. Which they did and went back to bed. (Hilarious). Frank asked me if I wanted to fish some more. Which I did. All of a sudden the sharks were gone. Frank strapped me up. He started feeding line out of my reel. Within a minute or two something cut my line. Frank set me up for a second time. Again the line was snapped.  to say the least I was so disappointed . Frank went down into the cabin and came out with another rod and reel. Set me up again. Free spooled my line within a minute it bit the line. I knew I had a fish on. So did Frank. At that point he said  “I’m going to make some coffee. Your going to be hear for a while. I was on that fish for awhile alright, then Frank asked me if I wanted him to back the boat to the shark. I told him “No if he cuts the line so be it. Franks whole attitude changed. We brought that Dusky in. Even though the other guys were sea sick he made them get up and watch me fight that fish. Frank couched me all the way. When the shark was hanging. He told the other guys they could now go back to bed. Frank and I sat below and he made grilled cheese sandwiches on the propane heater for us.Frank and I had a nice talk all the way back to shore. We talked about him and

the  Cricket.  Found him to be a special person. To this day I remember that trip like it was yesterday The Dusky was 625 lb.

Great story. Thank you. I have a few myself. Food was often caught and cooked before the heart stopped beating. A harpoon was our favorite.