MakoMike

August 1st is coming, are you ready

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Starting next week, single use plastic bags will be banned in the state and there will be a 10cent per bag tax added to all sales of any substitute bags. Lamont is banking on raking in an additional 50 million a year from this tax of supermarket shoppers. Only way to avoid it it to bring your own bags to the market.

16 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Starting next week, single use plastic bags will be banned in the state and there will be a 10cent per bag tax added to all sales of any substitute bags. Lamont is banking on raking in an additional 50 million a year from this tax of supermarket shoppers. Only way to avoid it it to bring your own bags to the market.

Who is Lamont? 

20 mins ago, MakoMike said:

When you have to use false weasel words like "single use" to get your ban implemented you know you're crooked.  

Didn’t know this

holy ****, this state sucks and blows

hopefully the last person that leaves will shut the lights off. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Who is Lamont? 

Our illustrious Governor/dictator.

Edited by MakoMike

38 mins ago, fishweewee said:

Some towns have already enacted a plastic bag ban - stores there are charging an extra $0.10 for paper bags.

Big Y has already said they are intending to do the same. The other supermarkets in the area haven't AFAIK said what they intend to do. But the deadline is coming up fast.

Stamford has already had this in effect since May 3. Love it.

I've had to pay a whopping 30 cents for the times I have forgotten a bag since the ban. Amazing how people shell out for stupid crap in their cart and lose their mind over a dime if they happen to forget a bag to put it in. I just wish they would ban mylar balloons so I could stop fishing those out of the sound on every freakin' trip. 

I'll add one thing...I'm all for taking fees from those most able to afford it. Why haven't we established a heliport on the sound offering flights to LGA and JFK for those who can afford the prices, with a big kick-back to the state? There are people here who can afford it, like the image of it, etc. There are LOTS of waterfront properties between Port Chester and Bridgeport that could be repurposed. Serve a market demand (services from NYC do just fine) and tax the crap out of it. Get the novelty money. Get the IDGAF money. Use the resource. 

The plastic bag ban doesn’t take effect for two more years. Until then you can still get a plastic bag but it will cost 10 cents. 

16 hours ago, nateD said:

Oh no, no more plastic bags!!!!!! Lets start a mob and go picketing

By itself, I don’t care all that much. But it’s just another tax and it’s adding up.