Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ATBfish

Adding a trolling motor...

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys I’m in my first year of kayak fishing and definitely wish I got a pedal drive but at this point I’m going to have my Jackson big rig for at least another season. Trolling in this thing can be a real pain as it is heavy and in current it can take everything I have to paddle. Being able to have my hands free sounds great but I have some concerns about it. It would seem you’re limited to how long you can fish because once your battery goes it seems that paddling with the motor on back would not be fun and cause the kayak to not track well? Anyways just looking for peoples opinions of who has added a trolling motor and wether you liked it or not before I make the purchase. 

Thanks 

I think you should work on your paddling or look into a solo skiff.  Ive seen quite a few people with trolling motors on kayak, but it doesn't seem to be their primary means of propulsion.  You dont want to be stuck in the water far from your launch spot unable to paddle.  Once you put a motor on a kayak you need to register it in certain states as well.

1 hour ago, bantis said:

I think you should work on your paddling or look into a solo skiff.  Ive seen quite a few people with trolling motors on kayak, but it doesn't seem to be their primary means of propulsion.  You dont want to be stuck in the water far from your launch spot unable to paddle.  Once you put a motor on a kayak you need to register it in certain states as well.

I definitely need to work on my paddling I just like the idea of being able to be hands free to fish. I would paddle out to the area I would fish. I go back and forth on wether I would want to do this because it just seems like a lot of extra weight to paddle when you’re not using it and only get 2-3 hours of it makes me uneasy about spending all that money on it. Plus it seems like a lot to deal with. Just trying to see if pros out weigh the cons...

On 7/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, ATBfish said:

I definitely need to work on my paddling I just like the idea of being able to be hands free to fish. I would paddle out to the area I would fish. I go back and forth on wether I would want to do this because it just seems like a lot of extra weight to paddle when you’re not using it and only get 2-3 hours of it makes me uneasy about spending all that money on it. Plus it seems like a lot to deal with. Just trying to see if pros out weigh the cons...

Im looking into this as well. Went out with a few guys this weekend, they fished probably 30% more than me even though we were on the water the same amount of time, I was just paddling more. My kayak is nice to paddle but paddling against a tide and/or wind is not fun in any kayak. Here is my list of pros/cons as I'm looking at the possibilities of upgrading to some other type of propulsion:

Pros:

Spend more time fishing

Able to get to spots quicker

Able to keep a spot or control your drift

Ability to troll or move hands free and can do things on your way to your next spot (changes lures, straighten up, smoke, drink a beer, etc)

Not as tired after trips

Cons:

More things to maintain

More weight on your kayak

I'm in NJ - have to register it

Price - Torqeedos are $2000+, I'm researching now cheaper options (reg electric trolling motor on some mount with battery)

Battery life - I'm reading it is 2-3 hours, if you do a 8 hour trip you have to watch your usage

Supposedly can't have beers when operating a powered kayak (haha)

For the cost of a motor you could buy a peddle yak.   I cover 5 to 15 miles without much effort.  Hands free fishing.   

My my ride is a Revo 13 with the old seat. 

Light, agile and easy to paddle.  

Also easy to re enter.  

Wise man said: If you ocean kayak-

“It’s not a matter of  if you dump just a matter of when and are you prepared”

JB. 

Good luck with your decision.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Torquedo isn't the only game in town,  you can go to bass yaks site to gage pricing on full foot pedal controlled  systems, island hopper is another....

If your handy you can just buy the motor and modify the same way they do, i built from scratch,  made everything i needed,  bought various hardware, plugs, etc....

Some folks buy a $120.00 minnkota C30 & strap it on the side & steer with the tiller handle....i consider this a jimmy rigged system, it seems to work ok,  may be a good short term,  cheap option if you really want to motor around ...

Edited by BillZ

I use one, mainly for getting home as my shoulder has gotten worse. Also useful like you said for slow trolling. Used plywood and made template and tested, then cut out of starboard. I had inserts that were for power pole to use as mounting points.

On minn kota transom mounts, take off the clamp mount section and you are left with pivot points.  I use two small micro pulleys to help raise it.  Really makes it easy and keeps the heavy motor head from twisting. Currently using a motor control from Gama.

i have a 45lb motor, but I had it. I think it is overkill and usually use 50% power or less. Hooked up to cheap sealect rudder pedals for control.

One of our club members went down this path. Didn’t want to spend the money on a pedal kayak, got disillusioned with paddling, got a trolling motor, now says he should have just “cut bait” and got a pedal kayak instead of continuing to spend money and effort on the motor setup.

It definitely  kills the option to surf launch. And if you’re a long ways off and your  battery dies, you’re likely in a “pickle”. 

Not saying there aren’t cases where an electric motor makes sense, just that it usually isn’t the a good alternative solution when a pedal kayak is the right solution. 

6 hours ago, atv223 said:

One of our club members went down this path. Didn’t want to spend the money on a pedal kayak, got disillusioned with paddling, got a trolling motor, now says he should have just “cut bait” and got a pedal kayak instead of continuing to spend money and effort on the motor setup.

It definitely  kills the option to surf launch. And if you’re a long ways off and your  battery dies, you’re likely in a “pickle”. 

Not saying there aren’t cases where an electric motor makes sense, just that it usually isn’t the a good alternative solution when a pedal kayak is the right solution. 

Yeah the more I think about the more I think I’m gonna suck it up the rest of the year and try to get a PA or outback this fall/winter. Just gotta convince the wife to let me get a new kayak a year later lol.