55555s

Neshaminy Creek

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I take the kids to Tyler park and mess around in the Neshaminy creek while visiting relatives.   Sometimes we do well enough, other times not, other times we slay.   Nice park overall, good herping.  

 

In pursuit of newer and bigger fishing experiences, I was considering bringing the kids further down, towards the State park where the Neshaminy meets the Delaware.

 

My questions are:

 

1) Is there decent access by land?

2) any snakehead action up that far (yet)?

3) I a assuming channel catfish, but are there any Flathead catfish in the neshaminy?

 

TIA

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marina is ok with the time of year and what is in season, haven't been there in quite awhile so if you're going check out the jetty area and bring a lotta of bug spray. just sayin'. Like I said haven't been there in a bit but good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how much help this will be.  I've never fished the Neshaminy either in it's upper end or lower end.  The Wissahickon is about 10 minutes from my house.  The Neshaminy is minimum of 30 minutes or more depending on traffic.  Did check out  a map of the park and there is a fishing area on the marina side of the park which will give you access to the mouth of the creek and the Delaware River.  As far as flatheads, I've haven't seen any reports of them being caught in that area.  You could check out Brinkman's Bait and Tackle's web site for current fishing reports.  The Schuylkill seems to be the hot bed for flathead fishing.   They're in the Delaware but I'm not sure how many people chase them.   Same with snakeheads.  More reports come from the Jersey side of the river, mainly in the tidal creeks.  Again, they're in the river, just have to find them. Good Luck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Great.  Thank you for the info.  Will give it a try but lower kid's expectations of fishing for flatheads or snakeheads there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, 55555s said:

^Great.  Thank you for the info.  Will give it a try but lower kid's expectations of fishing for flatheads or snakeheads there.  

Slim chance of flatheads or snakeheads up there but almost 100% chance of channies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Philly said:

Not sure how much help this will be.  I've never fished the Neshaminy either in it's upper end or lower end.  The Wissahickon is about 10 minutes from my house.  The Neshaminy is minimum of 30 minutes or more depending on traffic.  Did check out  a map of the park and there is a fishing area on the marina side of the park which will give you access to the mouth of the creek and the Delaware River.  As far as flatheads, I've haven't seen any reports of them being caught in that area.  You could check out Brinkman's Bait and Tackle's web site for current fishing reports.  The Schuylkill seems to be the hot bed for flathead fishing.   They're in the Delaware but I'm not sure how many people chase them.   Same with snakeheads.  More reports come from the Jersey side of the river, mainly in the tidal creeks.  Again, they're in the river, just have to find them. Good Luck.  

Brinkmans doesn’t update daily since the new owners took over. No biggie, i just explore new water. I’ve seen flatheads caught on the Delaware where I chase smallmouth,but nothing big enough to make me switch gears just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up in Fergusonville I use to fish spots from the dam just above hummeville road all the way out to the Delaware.  There is another park on the Bensalem side that was decent.  The dam itself was always good but eventually either the nursing home booted you out or the bar on the other side had your vehicle towed.

 

My grandparents use to have a boat yard on Haunted Lane, my dad was born and raised there.  Right there at the bait shop use to be another good spot as was the mouth at the marina and the jetty.  Actually use to be a very good musky spot and small mouth spot.

 

Along Ford road there is a park that was good as well.  We use to get schooly stripers and channel cats and white perch from there.

 

Problem is I wouldn't fish any of them spots at this point at night without carrying.  Seen some shady **** thru the years and can only imagine how bad it is now.  Exact reason why the maple beach area along the river  was shut down.

 

I have never seen any flatheads or snakeheads come out of that stretch.  Seen some of the biggest snappers ever come up to the wall at Haunted Lane.

 

When we had our boat we use to fish right at the mouth of the creek and Delaware.  Channel cats between 10 and 15lbs were plentiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, DerrickT said:

Problem is I wouldn't fish any of them spots at this point at night without carrying.  Seen some shady **** thru the years and can only imagine how bad it is now. 

 

So not a good place to bring the kids... which is the whole point of the exercise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the day sure, no problem.  The only spot I'd fish at night is right next to the bait shop on Haunted Lane.  The rest are secluded spots that are out of the way which unfortunately are where the drug addicts end up for the night.

 

The twp park along newportville road probably gets a cop in and out every couple hours.  Down at the marina I don't think you will see any type of law enforcement outside the parking lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wanna hit the river at night down in Bristol boro is a real nice area.  Well lit too with benches to sit on and railing to lean your rods against

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throw frogs around the slime and drains and youll find some snakehead and some big smallmouth.

 

The creek in Tyler is severely overfished IMO.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, DerrickT said:

I grew up in Fergusonville I use to fish spots from the dam just above hummeville road all the way out to the Delaware.  There is another park on the Bensalem side that was decent.  The dam itself was always good but eventually either the nursing home booted you out or the bar on the other side had your vehicle towed.

 

My grandparents use to have a boat yard on Haunted Lane, my dad was born and raised there.  Right there at the bait shop use to be another good spot as was the mouth at the marina and the jetty.  Actually use to be a very good musky spot and small mouth spot.

 

Along Ford road there is a park that was good as well.  We use to get schooly stripers and channel cats and white perch from there.

 

Problem is I wouldn't fish any of them spots at this point at night without carrying.  Seen some shady **** thru the years and can only imagine how bad it is now.  Exact reason why the maple beach area along the river  was shut down.

 

I have never seen any flatheads or snakeheads come out of that stretch.  Seen some of the biggest snappers ever come up to the wall at Haunted Lane.

 

When we had our boat we use to fish right at the mouth of the creek and Delaware.  Channel cats between 10 and 15lbs were plentiful.

Dude, sounds like my childhood. Great post.

Original poster-

Snakeheads-FDR park

Flatheads- Skuke

Channels- Del

 All above areas will yield LMB

Skuke and Del will yield stripers, SMB, walleye

 

Use caution!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, D1fishr said:

Dude, sounds like my childhood. Great post.

Original poster-

Snakeheads-FDR park

Flatheads- Skuke

Channels- Del

 All above areas will yield LMB

Skuke and Del will yield stripers, SMB, walleye

 

Use caution!

Ive never had luck with big snakehead in FDR. Its really overfished IMO and they spook pretty easy. I havent tried in a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.