gobigblue

chaumont bay ny fishing

3 posts in this topic

anyone know anything about fishing chaumont bay?  we are booking a last minute trip up there for next week.  bringing the kids and 2 yaks.  i get the 7 year old on the outback, wife get the 3 year old in the SIK, they dont travel very far.  wondering about fishing tips, will not be leaving the bay. im assuming its mostly dropshotting/ned rigs for smallies, casting spinner baits/jerkbaits for bass/pickerel maybe pike and marking bait or dropoffs and jigging walleye. i have never targeted walleye before.  would even consider maybe taking a charter, but with a wife and kids it would have to be a short trip, low key panfishing type deal, if such a thing exists.  also, any beast mode night time tips, like cast a dead perch out on the bottom and soak overnight for catfish or livelining sunnies under a float.  i will have a dock and copious amount of beer and time when everyone falls asleep at 830.

I have been fishing Chaumont bay since the 70's.  From a kayak the last ten years or so.  Generally speaking, its structure fishing, with weed beds thrown in.  Its a big place, so I would recommend downloading an app like navionics to your cell phone or handheld GPS.  Depending on weather, it can be a bath tub or a raging torrent. A heavy southwest wind can bring 5 footers anywhere south of Cherry Island.  For the most part you will have opportunities for Smallmouth, Perch, the occasional Largemouth and very big Sheepshead(freshwater drum).  Its not noted a a destination for Northern Pike, but there are a few around. Every year there are tales of a Musky or two caught.  Walleye are usually targeted in the Spring and they are never small.  Summer walleye are a night time thing, or so they say.  If you are a fly fisherman,  carp are a possibility when you see them slurping bugs under the trees and are lots of fun.  If you can load your yaks on your vehicle, there are some very good launches that can put you in protected water depending on the wind.  For the kids, go to the nearest drop off, find the edge of the weeds and drop lines and you will almost certainly catch something.  Its a warm water fish factory. Enjoy!

5 hours ago, Dance the tides said:

I have been fishing Chaumont bay since the 70's.  From a kayak the last ten years or so.  Generally speaking, its structure fishing, with weed beds thrown in.  Its a big place, so I would recommend downloading an app like navionics to your cell phone or handheld GPS.  Depending on weather, it can be a bath tub or a raging torrent. A heavy southwest wind can bring 5 footers anywhere south of Cherry Island.  For the most part you will have opportunities for Smallmouth, Perch, the occasional Largemouth and very big Sheepshead(freshwater drum).  Its not noted a a destination for Northern Pike, but there are a few around. Every year there are tales of a Musky or two caught.  Walleye are usually targeted in the Spring and they are never small.  Summer walleye are a night time thing, or so they say.  If you are a fly fisherman,  carp are a possibility when you see them slurping bugs under the trees and are lots of fun.  If you can load your yaks on your vehicle, there are some very good launches that can put you in protected water depending on the wind.  For the kids, go to the nearest drop off, find the edge of the weeds and drop lines and you will almost certainly catch something.  Its a warm water fish factory. Enjoy!

thanks for that info.  the lack of pike/muskie at least allows me to pack a little lighter.  ill still bring some largish trolling plugs and spinners in case i get an itch. i will have a small trolling motor on my hobie so ill be able to move around a lot.  going to stop and pick up shiners and nightcrawlers so getting skunked is out of the question.  unless the weather gods hate me im feeling pretty confident we can get some fish.