Sheisty

Kayak Fishing pre-requisites

59 posts in this topic

I've heard/read all sorts of do's and dont's as it relates to kayak fishing. personally I believe most things are relative, but obviously lead to a person being more prepared.

Is knowing how to swim mandatory?

Is learning/getting acclimated on a small fw lake mandatory?

Mandatory PFD & signaling device go without saying.

The most important skill to have is the ability to self rescue after you flip in water over your head. If you wear a pfd the ability to swim is over rated. 

It is nice to practice self rescue  on a pond, small lake, or pool on a calm day. But you are most likely to flip on a  day with  adverse conditions. 

If you are wearing a PFD, I don't think knowing how to swim is a "must".  However, are you going to be able to stay calm if you fall in and can't swim?  I've personally seen people flip their kayak and breakout into a screaming panic.  I can only imagine what the fear would be if you are in the water and can't swim.

I'm going to say going out on a calm body of water in warm weather is a must, especially to practice self rescue.  You want to figure all that our before you are in the situation.  If you can't flip over and reenter an empty kayak in warm calm water, you're a dead man, if you flip a fully rigged fishing kayak in a could rough ocean.

7 hours ago, Africaster said:

The main and overriding one (IMHO) is having a modicum of common sense ... and listening when it whispers ...

This by far is the best information to follow.

Be willing to walk away and go have breakfast. We’ve all driven miles/ hours to only say, not today. 

2 hours ago, robmedina said:

Learn how to properly wear a PFD. 

Your PFD is probably the most important piece of gear. If it slides up over your head it becomes useless. Proper fit becomes especially important for non swimmers, or those with any medical conditions. Choosing the correct PFD for your skill level, body type, and the conditions is just as important as fit. If one is super sized, a poor swimmer, and/or in poor physical shape they should probably skip the standard issue type 3 (15-16.5 lbs. of buoyancy) PFD. A marine radio is nice to have, but it’s no guarantee help will arrive in a timely fashion.

So the clothing part for cool weather would include the practicing to climb back in after you flip part yes.

Sheisty just get a boat you are less likely to go for a swim.

Definitely know your limitations. This is my first season kayak fishing and I usually stick to calmer waters. I have gone out in the Chesapeake bay twice. Once it was like glass and little wind, perfect conditions. The next time it said 5mph winds so I figured no biggie, as soon as I got .25 miles under the bay bridge and realized the swell was too intense I turned around and headed in. 

I almost flipped my yak early on reaching to far over the side for a fish, definitely use your net to avoid reaching super far over the gunnel. 

12 hours ago, atv223 said:

If you are wearing a PFD, I don't think knowing how to swim is a "must".  However, are you going to be able to stay calm if you fall in and can't swim?  I've personally seen people flip their kayak and breakout into a screaming panic.  I can only imagine what the fear would be if you are in the water and can't swim.

I'm going to say going out on a calm body of water in warm weather is a must, especially to practice self rescue.  You want to figure all that our before you are in the situation.  If you can't flip over and reenter an empty kayak in warm calm water, you're a dead man, if you flip a fully rigged fishing kayak in a could rough ocean.

I've heard arguments on both side of the swimming thing, but as you said not panicking whether you know how to swim or not is most important.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

Luck is for the ill prepared. 

Practiced many times self recovery, in the inlet and out front in serious seas (well, max I would venture out in, about three foot that day).   Oddly, only "flip" was in a shallow pond and trying to replicate self recovery that I practiced in the ocean didn't work as I was standing in waist deep water with my feet buried in the mud.  

I'm most likely buying a used Revo 13' on Monday, I cannot wait.

I'm a newb at this, I plan to fish a lake first, then the Delaware river, then out front in the ocean on nice days. I watched a bunch of videos on making outriggers for stability, looks easy and cheap enough and seems like its worth it for going on the ocean.

My to-get list is as follows, feel free to add something...

Flare gun, hand bilge and sponge, knife, pfd, running lights, flashlight, my phone which is waterproof...

I plan to stuff the yak with pool noodles. Also before its maiden voyage I am going to reinforce the keel.

23 hours ago, Sheisty said:

I've heard/read all sorts of do's and dont's as it relates to kayak fishing. personally I believe most things are relative, but obviously lead to a person being more prepared.

Is knowing how to swim mandatory?

Is learning/getting acclimated on a small fw lake mandatory?

Mandatory PFD & signaling device go without saying.

Sounds like you're giving serious consideration to crossing over to the dark side.  Going out with a friend should be marked down in the "Do" column.