just a couple casts

Wire to Mono Connection

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what type of connection you all use when attaching tie-able wire to your leader for blues or even pike. I've used different rigging with varied results. I've pre-rigged several flies attaching the fly permanently to the wire then putting a loop in the wire and used loop to loop connections. It's generally worked but then I ran into monster blues and the mono loops cut. I think I attached to 10 or 15 lb mono. Looking for a really reliable system that is quick to attach (like loop to loop) when needed. Thanks!

Tieable wire makes life so much easier. Just use whatever knot you'd use normally in mono. Loop to loop is fine. 

Single strand I use an Albright knot. You lose strength over your main line so I use 40# then 27# single strand. The mono always breaks first. That's my experience. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/24/2019 at 9:57 AM, Gilbey said:

The OP mentioned 10-15# mono. Beef that up to 30# at least, 40#+ if you are targeting blues. 

Good luck!

Alan

+1

Edited by Squish

Right, I hardly ever use the 10 #, more often use 15. With wire and a good connection the 15 should be fine, but yes 20 would be better. 65# is way over the top for my application.

Some great rigging suggestions here. I was looking for a quick way to switch on the fly when I run into blues, that's why I liked a pre-rigged fly with a loop.

I was going to try wire tied to the fly then attached to mono with a doudle surgeons (or another) knot. I'd put a loop in the mono then that gets attached to the leader quickly if blues are around.

I albright 25lb to 60lb bite tippet for blues.  Guess that's just what I have. Don't think it makes any difference but I do get some ugly knots with the heavy rope.