coastalfreak

Light (Fishing) Backpack

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

As I have started surf fishing more, I have found that it is annoying to walk around with my Three Tray Tackle Box for potentially a few miles. I am looking for a compact pack that is small and lightweight to store some small tackle containers and tools in. Looking at stuff like Eddie Bauer and REI. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

As I have started surf fishing more, I have found that it is annoying to walk around with my Three Tray Tackle Box for potentially a few miles. I am looking for a compact pack that is small and lightweight to store some small tackle containers and tools in. Looking at stuff like Eddie Bauer and REI. 

BLACK DIAMOND-Bullet. It has been my favorite crag (rock climbing), fishing, boating, beach, hiking, mountain biking, baby stuff, city day pack, you name the activity and I've probably used my Bullet pack for it for the last 25+ years. Indestructible!! Just through it in the laundry to clean.

Edited by mattyboyee

REI sells osprey packs, I have a small day pack that holds plenty. Since it’s in the salt all the time, I’ll probably get 3 years out of it before the zippers go. It was around $60

41 mins ago, ecks said:

Woot has Maxpedition and Camelbak packs on sale currently. 

Forgot about Camelback. Had one of their packs a while back and I enjoyed it.

I use regular backpacks. Most will hold 3400, 3600 or even 3700 series boxes and have outside zipper pockets for pliers, knife etc.   Check yard sales and thrift stores. For long trips with more than one rod and lot's of tackle I convert softball backbacks because there larger and they have a side pocket on either side that will except PVC tubes to hold rods.

13 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Look at the Patagonia sling pack.  If its large enough go with something like this.   If's a pain to take a backpack off to grab something where the sling pack stays on and doesn't get in the way when casting.

Posted (edited) · Report post

+1 on Patagonia waterproof sling pack. It was my wade fishing bag for years. It leaks now so I need to find the hole and fix that. It can fit 2 tackle trays and a bunch of terminal tackle soft plastics and a bottle of water. Kinda pricey though

Edit: I just looked it up, cant believe I payed over 200 bucks for that thing.

Lately I use fanny packs or army surplus bags on a belt. You dont need to pack your whole tackle box for a simple outing.

Edited by Badtothebugs

I like to keep things light too so I used a cheap Walmart fanny pack and it was great and cheap but a little tight on space. So recently bought a Magellan Outdoors sling and it's been a great value for $25. I haven't done much surf fishing but for inshore it's awesome, fits a bunch of soft plastics and a box for plugs with ample room left.

1 hour ago, Badtothebugs said:

+1 on Patagonia waterproof sling pack. It was my wade fishing bag for years. It leaks now so I need to find the hole and fix that. It can fit 2 tackle trays and a bunch of terminal tackle soft plastics and a bottle of water. Kinda pricey though

Edit: I just looked it up, cant believe I payed over 200 bucks for that thing.

Lately I use fanny packs or army surplus bags on a belt. You dont need to pack your whole tackle box for a simple outing.

Patagonia is great with warranty stuff - call them and see if they will replace it.  Also, patagomia frequentky has sales were this stuff is marked down a lot - keep an eye out.

2 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Patagonia is great with warranty stuff - call them and see if they will replace it.  Also, patagomia frequentky has sales were this stuff is marked down a lot - keep an eye out.

This was a few years ago with no receipt. If you think it's worth me contacting them I will. Never done a warranty claim before in my life

6 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

This was a few years ago with no receipt. If you think it's worth me contacting them I will. Never done a warranty claim before in my life

yes.