Ab4usa

New to the salt and need some help

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I’m new to saltwater fly fishing.  Been fresh water fly fishing for 10 or 12 years including trout, smallmouth bass, steelhead and salmon.  I have a chance to spend 3 mornings fishing on Cape Cod in mid September and I have a number of questions;

 

1)        I will be staying in Chatham and thought the Monomoy flats would be a good place to go.  I understand one can park at the Wildlife Refuge Center and walk out and there is also a water taxi that will take people to the islands.  Thoughts anyone.

 

2)        I plan to take both an 8 weight and 9 weight as a back up.  Does this make sense?

 

3)        I have an older Teton fly reel for the 8 weight. Its in great shape but will I be OK with it or do I need to replace it?

 

4)        What flies and what size should I have ready?  I would always prefer to tie my own but don’t really mind purchasing some.

 

5)        Stripping basket?

 

Ill probably have more questions but I think that’s it for now.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason no one is responding is because this topic has been covered over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over . . . on this forum.

 

Spend some time getting to know the search function.  One member prefers to google search using +stripers+online for good results.  

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1)        I have only fished there once so I can’t say for sure but the wildlife center access is pretty good. 

 

2)        I plan to take both an 8 weight and 9 weight as a back up.  Does this make sense?

Yes probably I would grab the 8 first

 

3)        I have an older Teton fly reel for the 8 weight. Its in great shape but will I be OK with it or do I need to replace it?

It is fine

 

4)        What flies and what size should I have ready?  I would always prefer to tie my own but don’t really mind purchasing some.

tie and bring a variety of sandeels and silversides stop at a local shop and take suggestions and buy a few

 

5)        Stripping basket?

Absolutely must have. It is an exercise in frustration without one. 

 

6) Day or night ?

Put in some time or hire a local guide to shorten the learning curve. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes people like to ask questions their own way, and add specifics like the OP did. 

 

Nothing wrong with that. 

 

Only advise i have is that your reel is probably just fine. Have fun and please report back :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, Kml said:

1)        I have only fished there once so I can’t say for sure but the wildlife center access is pretty good. 

 

2)        I plan to take both an 8 weight and 9 weight as a back up.  Does this make sense?

Yes probably I would grab the 8 first

 

3)        I have an older Teton fly reel for the 8 weight. Its in great shape but will I be OK with it or do I need to replace it?

It is fine

 

4)        What flies and what size should I have ready?  I would always prefer to tie my own but don’t really mind purchasing some.

tie and bring a variety of sandeels and silversides stop at a local shop and take suggestions and buy a few

 

5)        Stripping basket?

Absolutely must have. It is an exercise in frustration without one. 

 

6) Day or night ?

Put in some time or hire a local guide to shorten the learning curve. 

 

Second the guide.  In fact I think its essential.  If you want a great one DM me.

 

Night fishing is better for big fish, but you have to really know the place you plan to fish in daylight first.  You don't know this place at all night fishing could be both potentially dangerous for you and very frustrating. Be very careful even in daylight the water can come in faster than you can walk back in on these exapnsive flats.

 

I suggest you focus on first light so be on water 45mins before the listed sunrise time.   Shots at bigger fish safer and less frustrating for a first trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget to bring a couple of surface flies - poppers, gurglers, etc. It's a whole lot of fun to watch the stripers (and blues) follow and hit on the surface. Plus, when there is no action it can keep you focused to work a surface fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, aneary said:

Haven’t fished the cape a ton but there may be some albies around that time of year, anyone?

Yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with albies but my understanding is that they don't get all the way out to chatham.  I think they are more buzzards bay.  I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a decade ago, Albies showed up for a single tide cycle on the south tip of Plum Island.....small Bonito being caught just outside the Isle of Shoals in NH...... The ocean is a crazy place and I would never think that there are any truly hard and fast rules! That being said, that would certainly not be my first pick to go hunt for them there.... but they could always be around! Bring a handful of epoxies and keep your ears open. You will know pretty surely what just busted when the fish are mixed together around you and a healthy pod of albies sling through. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can’t walk out to N.Monomoy from the refuge.

 

You need to do research to see if  there are  any taxis to NM.

 

As you dont know the flats you could get into trouble. Only you can decide if the risk is inside your comfort zone. But to be even be thinking  about the flats on your own reinforces your in experience. That is scary.

 

If you take a Guide best get a cast first or your day will not be what you may hope for. The most expensive casting lessons are given by Guides when you should be fishing.

 

Not the best place for a new fly Fisher  to attempt. 

 

You would be better off fishing  inlets and river mouths and on the inside in salt marshes. Try the Refuge area. But walk around don’t root to one spot there.

 

You want to fly fish  then dont expect to turn up and be able to at a stroke to  cast a fly . Can’t get fly to fish then you catch no fish . Fundamental  but lost on a great  many. So get a cast before you go.

 

You can’t get a life Time of Learning how to fly fish  in a thread. More detailed learning can be gained from classic books by Lou Tabory an Ray Bonderew. Rich Murphy I would save until a bit later. A google search will lead you to their great books.

 

Sep is a great time on the Cape. The fish will not be so common on the beaches on the South Side but you can find them where there is current .

Thats you main clue.

 

line tray yes unless you enjoy tangles and making life extra hard for your self. A ton of obvious fresh water guys can be observed every spring doing just that, lol.

 

 

Albies from shore? Better off sticking with Stripers.

 

Have a great time .

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

You would be better off fishing  inlets and river mouths and on the inside in salt marshes.

100 times this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Oakman said:

The reason no one is responding is because this topic has been covered over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over . . . on this forum.

 

Spend some time getting to know the search function.  One member prefers to google search using +stripers+online for good results.  

 

Good luck.

 

And you make this same post...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.