Do we have any roofers in the group?

Rate this topic

Sudsy

'cause I need one asap

Leaking roof, not worth repairing, time for a new one

PM me

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

I've had good results searching for local contractors using HomeAdvisor.com.

It's free.  Log in, describe problem and how soon you need work done and the geographic location of your home.  It lists 5 local contractors with reviews.  Between 5 minutes and an hour you will get maybe 5 or six contractors calling your phone and leaving messages.  Usually does not go much beyond that, so I ignore most and just go with whom I pick off the list.

Also do a google search on Average cost for new roof [in your area] and you should get a range from high to low, so you can estimate who can give you a better deal.

I do know one thing about roofing, around $125 each per square for removal, product, and install, thus around $375 per square for the job. Nobody will warrantee the new roof if you want it installed over existing, most won't even do it unless its a tear off.  If you can get them under that these days your doing well, roofers are busy until November and then the weather plays tricks. Isn't home ownership fun? It never ends.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

There are two courses already so it's a tear off

Like I said, I'd prefer to keep it in the family so to say, so if anyone here is aa roofer...

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

On 7/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, BillHoo said:

I've had good results searching for local contractors using HomeAdvisor.com.

It's free.  Log in, describe problem and how soon you need work done and the geographic location of your home.  It lists 5 local contractors with reviews.  Between 5 minutes and an hour you will get maybe 5 or six contractors calling your phone and leaving messages.  Usually does not go much beyond that, so I ignore most and just go with whom I pick off the list.

Also do a google search on Average cost for new roof [in your area] and you should get a range from high to low, so you can estimate who can give you a better deal.

You will need to be extremely careful with HomeAdvisor. Some of the contractors will rip you off. I had bad experience with these guys. Examples:

1. Water proofing: Got quotes ranging from 10 to 15 grand ended with a recommended contractor charging five grand

2. Roof job - Quotes ranging from $900 to $1400. Used a local guy I found using google for $650

3.  Miscellaneous home work - Hired Home Advisor contractor with the lowest quote - it was a nightmare

4. Grading - Got a quote, accepted it and the company did not show up to do the job.

5. Basement work - 

Needed to replace the wood wall with sheet rocks. The AD contractor told me I need to get rid of the existing framings Total BS. Hired a local contractor who used the existing framings .

The only time I had good experience is hiring a plumber to replace a sub pump

i would never hire a roofer from HomeAdvisor. 

Ask around... Get recommendation from someone you know..It’s too much money to risk.

Real estate agents can be a good source.

Edited by levari

2 layers and how many square? FYI its roughly 3 squares per yard for the dumpster and then there's GAF, Owens Corning, Tamko snf their serrate underlayments for their respective warranties, then there's the substrate aka plywood sheathing never use OSB as a substrate, oh the joy of a 2 layered tear off!

good luck with the job

3 hours ago, levari said:

You will need to be extremely careful with HomeAdvisor. Some of the contractors will rip you off. I had bad experience with these guys. Examples:

1. Water proofing: Got quotes ranging from 10 to 15 grand ended with a recommended contractor charging five grand

2. Roof job - Quotes ranging from $900 to $1400. Used a local guy I found using google for $650

3.  Miscellaneous home work - Hired Home Advisor contractor with the lowest quote - it was a nightmare

4. Grading - Got a quote, accepted it and the company did not show up to do the job.

5. Basement work - 

Needed to replace the wood wall with sheet rocks. The AD contractor told me I need to get rid of the existing framings Total BS. Hired a local contractor who used the existing framings .

The only time I had good experience is hiring a plumber to replace a sub pump

i would never hire a roofer from HomeAdvisor. 

Ask around... Get recommendation from someone you know..It’s too much money to risk.

Real estate agents can be a good source.

Home Advisor is crap IMHO.

They've ben calling/hassling me since they were born, trying to get me to sign up. Always they same line of crap about "keeping me busy, advertising for me, yadda yadda".

Quick story about an actual experience I had with them, about a roof job in fact.

Neighbor of mine had a leak right after Sandy, and although I am his go to contractor, like all other contractors at the time i was overwhelmed with work. I told him to call a buddy who just does roofing and siding. Same town as us. I gave neighbor his number. He must have gone to H.A. to check the guy out. Anyway, he scheduled an appt. thru H.A. for the guy to meet me at the house at 9:00 am one day (neighbor lives in Philly, this is a summer/weekend home) So I stay home and wait for my buddy to come by. Nine comes and goes, then ten, and I'm getting a bit aggravated. Ten thirty I finally call my buddys cell. He says "Whats up?" I tell him I'm still waiting for him, and he should have called me if he was running that late.

He says, "Dude, I'm in Disney World with my kids. I didn't schedule any appt.s"

I told him he'd better call H.A. and straighten them out, cause they just screwed me out of a half day. 

It's all rainbows and unicorns to make the homeowner feel good, when in fact they have zero oversight, nor do they actually check anyone out.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:03 AM, RA66 said:

All Pro Roofing is my business

Just finished a job in Monroe 

fully licensed and insured

Joe

Send me a pm with your address I can get you numbers.  

Buzzkill, wish you had seen this

I already paid a deposit, they're dropping off the materials and dumpster on Wednesday and doing he job on Thursday

(Expect torrential rain on Thursday)

1 hour ago, Sheisty said:

I need a small patch job, and gutter guard install on a property. Often times contractors act like they don't want money. So many no shows, for quotes/estimates etc.

They developed a sense to identify  educated shoppers...They are looking for suckers....

Kinda like my local auto mechanic.  Only the opposite! 

Heaven help me if I actually need an automatic technician to actually diagnose and fix a problem!  I like my local auto shop, but they only want to do:

- oil changes, spark plug and wires

- tire changes

- the occasional sensor change - all bets off if it is a hard to reach sensor

- muffler and pipe replacements as long as they do not require any welding or cutting.

And they claim to specialize in foreign cars as if they would actually do REAL auto work!  Granted, he is up to his neck in scheduled work.  So I think he can afford to turn away the harder to do jobs.  Hourly rate is the same for spark plugs as it is for an engine rebuild, but he gets to do more spark plug jobs and make the same money per week.

Edited by BillHoo