VanStaalSteve

Surf Fishing- sport or leisure activity?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I grew up a competitive athlete in a bunch of team sports as well as fishing. I was just as competitive in my fishing as I was with my team mates, and opposing players. I always refereed to the catch and release fishing I did as sport fishing because it was fun and competitive. If you can do it and make money, have a score (lbs, in, girth, quantity), and stats, it makes sense to call it a sport. But when I had my son on the boat when he was little and caught his first few bass, that was precious time spent with my son. I'd say it's always been a blend of both, more leisure now. But I do still have a competitive edge to my fishing.

Edited by mattyboyee

Both - leisure to the beer drinking white bucket n bait crowd

Sport to the guys hoofing miles on the sand, hopping on rocks, and the crazy SOB's skishing

If you need an advil to be able to sleep that night, it's not leisure

21 hours ago, NYNistler said:

It doesn't matter what you call it, but to be the devil's advocate, pick a random group of professional athletes, put them in wet suits, hang gear from every part of their bodies, challenge them to get 100' off shore on Montauk and perch themselves on a boulder next to surf fishermen, then make them cast and retrieve for hours at a time. See who stays on their rock longer, has the stamina to keep fishing, and who catches more fish, then tell me why surf fishing isn't a sport.

weird post. literally every professional athlete in existence could easily do this (minus the catching part maybe). 

:headscratch:

17 hours ago, RockRonin said:

I used to run the jetties to get ready for ski season. Do you bring your beach chair out with you? Bait? Beers? 

Beer/Bait/Beach Chair = Leisure 

Jetty spikes/Headlamp/Waders/Plugs/Near-Death Experience from rogue wave...etc = Athletic "hobby"/obsession

If you can get injured or killed while indulging in your hobby, it goes beyond the definition of "leisure activity". YMMV

so walking, eating and marriage are sports. :D

17 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

If a sport is defined by physical fitness and endurance skateboarding is more of a sport than fishing golf fisbee or many other sports. You ever seen a fat skateboarder?

My point was, sport is not defined by physical fitness. We have all seen fat skateboarders as well as curlers. That doesn't disqualify anyone from the sport. In the case of sumo wrestlers and defensive lineman, skinny is more a disqualifier.

maxresdefault.jpg

17 hours ago, Ravens52988 said:

Fishings a sport, it just doesnt require much athletic ability.

Neither does curling, pushing the rock or sweeping can be done by the morbidly obese as well as severely underweight, makes little difference.

11 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Both. In a tournament setting? Sport. In a laid back setting? Leisure Hobby.

We have a winner. I could make the case either way. If other "leisure activities" garner gold metals, so could angling.

14 hours ago, ken r said:

You can climb 15c? That's impressive. Onsite or hang dog?

I cannot it was an extreme example that probably went over most peoples head.

3 mins ago, Sheisty said:

I cannot it was an extreme example that probably went over most peoples head.

Gotcha. Best I ever led onsite was 11d. A few 5.12's hang dog. That was 30+ years ago. I turned 60 in February, and NOW, my 25 yr old graduate student darling daughter, "wants to learn to lead climb". So I've quit drinking altogether, lowered my carb intake, and started a hard(er) exercise routine, all in an effort to lose a few pounds. lol

Fishing is a sporting activity, gardening is a leisure activity. Serious sport will have you sweating, out of breath, and there is usually a chance of sustaining physical harm. Ice hockey, rugby, soccer, mountain climbing, bicycle racing/triathlon......

On 7/23/2019 at 6:05 AM, clambellies said:

Being retired, my surf outings are always at least a week long.  After returing home I'm ususally exhausted, and need at least a day to wind down and recharge.  I'd say it's a sport they way I do it.

I live an hour away fish Friday night and go home sunday mid day and have time to recoop.  have been fishing the surf for over 35 yrs now it's leisure.