VanStaalSteve

Surf Fishing- sport or leisure activity?

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

I kind of cringe when I hear somebody refer to or when I read about surf fishing being called a "sport". I say it is more of a leisure activity. What do you think?

Sport would imply there is some effort put into it. When I fish of the beach the fish I catch need to effort whatsoever to reel in...! Leisure activity for me too.

At this stage it’s a challenge to mind and body. It’s a sport in as much as you’re physically and mentally challenging and competing with your own abilities. I don’t find standing on slippery rocks, getting battered by waves a leisure time activity for the body but certainly puts the mind in a peaceful place. 

At times surfcasting in the Northeast is as sporting as hiking uphill on a rocky trail and at times when on sand and backwaters it’s as leisurely as a walk on the beach. 

Depends on which definition of "sport" you like. They run the gamut from "athletic completion" to "activity require physical skill and or prowess" to one that basically considers it a synonym for "recreation." It's a borderline call, but the term "sportfishing" has been in usage for over a century, although likely derived from a now archaic subdefinition of sport as "for play." That said, fishing tackle is categorized as sporting goods, but so is camping equipment.

Being retired, my surf outings are always at least a week long.  After returing home I'm ususally exhausted, and need at least a day to wind down and recharge.  I'd say it's a sport they way I do it.

Skishing, rock hopping out in Montauk, and wet wading in waist deep current are a lot more "sporting" than laying on the beach soaking fishbites for kingfish. I'd err on the side of "sport" since there is technique involved, skill involved, and physical effort needed. 

Fishing can be a leisure activity, but so can swinging a golf club, tennis racquet, or any beer league sport like softball or hockey, despite the effort they require to execute. It's what you put into it that makes it a "leisure activity" vs. a sport. A 400lb guy can sit on a party boat and fish all day, but that same 400lb guy would be dead trying to wade in water or hop on rocks. Same as if your average Joe tried playing any sport competitively; you wouldn't last if you were playing a competitive game.

53 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I kind of cringe when I hear somebody refer to or when I read about surf fishing being called a "sport". I say it is more of a leisure activity. What do you think?

I agree. Fun activity that is sporting.  Sports require athletes.  Look at your fellow fisher "athletes" donning waders, would you pick them first for pick-up basketball?  :)

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I don't think it matters what you call it. Some fish hard, some don't, but in the end it's still just fishing.