Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Well that was fun.

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Ran down the canal to catch the beginning of the east. Can see lightening and hear thunder off in the west. Aw, what the hell, gonna go. Start down the rocks my phone goes off, storm and tornado warning.

Held off for a few, and all hell broke loose. Insane lightening coming my way. Can hear the rain. Made the truck just as the sky opened up. Wind driven rain, multiple lightening strikes all over. Then the wind began buffeting the truck. Lightening and rain still happening,  but otherwise subsiding.

Nature at its best last night as the skies lit up across the the bay , reminding me of another time when just before it would strike the fish would be jumping out of the water . back them of course we had glass rods and not so much of a problem as today with graphite rods . I have in another time seen lightening come across the surface of the water where I was fishing and divide around me and keep on trucking. Now if that was to happen today with a grahite rod  I would expect different results . Last nights storm pushed the fish from some of the present locations to other places and also changed the way the current was setting up for what ever reason 

8 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Awesome storm last night! Tornado warning for Mashpee because radar picked up rotation.

They put out the warning here in Sandwich as well on the tornado, it never came thank goodness. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ran down the canal to catch the beginning of the east. Can see lightening and hear thunder off in the west. Aw, what the hell, gonna go. Start down the rocks my phone goes off, storm and tornado warning.

Held off for a few, and all hell broke loose. Insane lightening coming my way. Can hear the rain. Made the truck just as the sky opened up. Wind driven rain, multiple lightening strikes all over. Then the wind began buffeting the truck. Lightening and rain still happening,  but otherwise subsiding.

I wasn’t so lucky. I was fishing the east end about 3/4 of a mile from my truck and got stuck in it. Was just heat lightning for a while then it seemed almost out of nowhere bolts downpours and thunder that shook your entire body rolled in. I made the decision to drop the rod and hunker down low sitting in the rip rap against the bushes and watch it pass instead of peddle back with 2 lightning rods attached to my bike.  It wasn’t very fun; white out rain; spider cracking lightning horizontally across the sky over the power plant before splitting off and striking down vertically. Watched a ton of police cars go flying off towards sandwich as it was subsiding and heading further into cape. Never been outside during such a storm and don’t plan to be again 

Edited by CcCstriper89

8 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I wasn’t so lucky. I was fishing the east end about 3/4 of a mile from my truck and got stuck in it. Was just heat lightning for a while then it seemed almost out of nowhere bolts downpours and thunder that shook your entire body rolled in. I made the decision to drop the rod and hunker down low sitting in the rio rap against the bushes and watch it pass instead of peddle back with 2 lightning rods attached to my bike.  It wasn’t very fun; white out rain; spider cracking lightning horizontally across the sky over the power plant before splitting off and striking down vertically. Watched a ton of police cars go flying off towards sandwich as it was subsiding and heading further into cape. Never been outside during such a storm and don’t plan to be again 

Sorry to hear you got a soaking.

I was sitting in my truck watching it come down the bay. When the crazy wind, lightening and rain hit, I was thinking " I'll bet a few guys get caught in this".

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was dressed for the rain. The lightning was what had me worried it was insane. Bolts coming down in all directions spider cracking down and striking in multiple locations at once. The night ended better for somebody else back at the parking lot as I was loading up a couple hours later the only two cars parked near me I could tell weren’t fishermen. After about 15 mins of loading up I see a guy jump out of one car into the other and take off pretty quick. Can see the lights still on in the car he jumped out of and a blonde girl is tying her hair back up before she leaves.:laugh:

Edited by CcCstriper89

You're braver than me. I don't go anywhere near the water with a lightning rod aka fishing rod in hand if I can see flashes.

Got stuck in a nasty squall on Town Neck a few years back and honestly thought I was gonna die. Never again.