Rate this topic

171 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Shouldn't you be climbing a rock face cliff?  Nice avatar!  :wee:

I would first like to see the Seal population addressed sir.   See what I did there?   I gave respect to you sir.

Take the seals off the endangered list.   They are no more endangered than you or I sir.

Then I would like to instead of keeping the GWS on the endangered list...have that removed.   

Next instead of killing the great killing machine of Wild Striped Bass (as juvies), I'd institute a three strike program for tagged adult GWS!

Those tagged Great White Sharks that ping more than 3X's near swimming areas and non seal populated area's get culled.

Either killed or captured and relocated to a designated area of the world.

If we as Americans can keep throwing money into the space program, we can spend a few billion dollares relocating GWS's to countries we deem hostile.

You asked sir...that's my solution.

As far as the sharks being there in the first place....EFF THAT CRAP!   

Last weekend here on the Cape Cod it was Africa hot and people are only swimming up to their ankles!   I call B.S.!  on that whole who came first!

Go climb a rock sir!  

That's like going out in the rain and then complaining you got wet.  :p

12 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Shouldn't you be climbing a rock face cliff?  Nice avatar!  :wee:

I would first like to see the Seal population addressed sir.   See what I did there?   I gave respect to you sir.

Take the seals off the endangered list.   They are no more endangered than you or I sir.

Then I would like to instead of keeping the GWS on the endangered list...have that removed.   

Next instead of killing the great killing machine of Wild Striped Bass (as juvies), I'd institute a three strike program for tagged adult GWS!

Those tagged Great White Sharks that ping more than 3X's near swimming areas and non seal populated area's get culled.

Either killed or captured and relocated to a designated area of the world.

If we as Americans can keep throwing money into the space program, we can spend a few billion dollares relocating GWS's to countries we deem hostile.

You asked sir...that's my solution.

As far as the sharks being there in the first place....EFF THAT CRAP!   

Last weekend here on the Cape Cod it was Africa hot and people are only swimming up to their ankles!   I call B.S.!  on that whole who came first!

Go climb a rock sir!  

Just FYI, Neither the seals or the GWs are on the "endangered list."

10 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Yeah he or most likely she is abusing the Three Strike System I'd institute!   

That shark needs to be corralled and transported immediately to the coast of Mogadishu Somalia!

Ilhan Omar would be apoplectic.

23 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Judging from some of the bites I have seen being taken out from the boards that those are riding I often wonder if placing a material , like bullet resistant material would make a difference in saving a body part if you got attacked.

If you have a harder material on the bottom of your board and a shark bites the board with you on it, it’s likely to cause a more severe injury. The teeth will be stopped from coming up from the bottom and instead push through the softer person on top. 

It doesn’t really matter what the board or kayak is made of as white sharks usually hit with enough force to knock the occupant into the water. 

If you are lucky the shark will swim off after tasting plastic...

Yeah You get ejected like a fighter pilot bailing out but with one caveat .....no parachute.  You go back in the drink.

Quint  "You go in the water? Shark's in the water? Our shark? [singing] "Farewell and adieu to ...?"

Berkeley Cal. Has eliminated " White " . They are now " Great Non-Binary swimming fish ". 

I stopped skinny dipping in the canal because my angler fish attractant technique is too risky. I just wrap it around my leg these days:howdy:

On 7/24/2019 at 2:41 PM, Conor said:

Wow. I didn’t know they were frequenting CCB now. Are people really adjusting their fishing and swimming habits on the Bay?

you ever seen a 15ft shark swimming in waves. Yeah I've adjusted. 

On 7/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, beerdoh said:

If you have a harder material on the bottom of your board and a shark bites the board with you on it, it’s likely to cause a more severe injury. The teeth will be stopped from coming up from the bottom and instead push through the softer person on top. 

It doesn’t really matter what the board or kayak is made of as white sharks usually hit with enough force to knock the occupant into the water. 

If you are lucky the shark will swim off after tasting plastic...

How many test bites does it need?

Speaking of which the Discovery Channel did a show back in 2015 for Shark Week and it was on this morning called Return Of The Great White Serial Killer.   It was quite interesting to say the least if you're familiar with the attacks that have been going down up in the Surf Beach area of California.   It's currently on demand too if you missed it.   

Since 2002 there's been like six fatalities in Cali and multiple kayak hits as well.    Here's a glimpse with the trailer. 

Has anyone here seen GWs in Buzzards Bay? 

I'm aware of the woods hole shark that was trapped in a pond years back.  I was out by Wings Neck last Sept 2018 when a GW was spotted, though I didn't see it.

I'm especially curious about the probability of running into one in the warmer waters between Wareham to Westport.  This sparked my interest after reading about the Mattapoisett fatality from the 1930s, and another report of a GW harpooned off West Island Fairhaven in the 1950s.  I've been telling family that the warm water around Buzzards Bay this time of year keeps them away....  but the Mattapoisett attack apparently occurred in late July.

I know the Wareham harbormaster confirmed a GW sighting late last summer.  About 200' off Wings Neck swimming towards Mo Beach.

Years ago when I was running the patrol boat we got a call of a dead seal off Scraggy Neck. Huge gray seal.  Thing was damn near bit in half. I can't imagine what else could gave done that.