Rate this topic

171 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Brewster Flats, that was every fly fisherman's playground.  I used to fish there all the time. Never again.

I know theyve been spotted in and around barnstable harbor, but how shallow are we talking on the flats?!?! 

one thing about the flats is that there are hollow places where the water does not leave at low water, some are rather large and others not so. Great whites do not need a great deal of water to navigate around and we have seen them in shallow water along some of the beaches we fish from the boat less then 5 feet good luck

Just don't have a bait bucket over the side, if a GW decides to go after it  the kayak will be airborne. Might want to invest in a kill stick.

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, Topwatercowboy said:

I know theyve been spotted in and around barnstable harbor, but how shallow are we talking on the flats?!?! 

There was a few that eat hooked up bass on peoples lines from shore this past May and June.  Right on Brewster beach about 5 feet from shore   Very small sharks like 8 footers 

Edited by Aaron Barmmer

Kayaking out of Sesuit to the flats farther off the beach is heaven on earth. Cant get there from shore so theres never any company. It might be my favorite fishing experience. But i never really feel secure while im out there, even in thigh high water. It would really ruin my day to see an 8 footer coming across a flat towards me. 

4 hours ago, John O' said:

Haha!  Carl, that may get me down to the GWs even quicker. 

Judging from some of the bites I have seen being taken out from the boards that those are riding I often wonder if placing a material , like bullet resistant material would make a difference in saving a body part if you got attacked.

Kelvar is suppose to be bullet resistant. Maybe someone should start building "bite resistant" kayaks up on the cape?

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Kelvar is suppose to be bullet resistant. Maybe someone should start building "bite resistant" kayaks up on the cape?

There's been kayak anglers up here discussing that very idea.....a few years back I recall. 

11 hours ago, ken r said:

So the State takes notice and does just what exactly? Start killin sharks? It all boils down to,  you don't like sharks in the water you swim in? Either find another sharkless spot, or don't go in the water.

Next!

Shouldn't you be climbing a rock face cliff?  Nice avatar!  :wee:

I would first like to see the Seal population addressed sir.   See what I did there?   I gave respect to you sir.

Take the seals off the endangered list.   They are no more endangered than you or I sir.

Then I would like to instead of keeping the GWS on the endangered list...have that removed.   

Next instead of killing the great killing machine of Wild Striped Bass (as juvies), I'd institute a three strike program for tagged adult GWS!

Those tagged Great White Sharks that ping more than 3X's near swimming areas and non seal populated area's get culled.

Either killed or captured and relocated to a designated area of the world.

If we as Americans can keep throwing money into the space program, we can spend a few billion dollares relocating GWS's to countries we deem hostile.

You asked sir...that's my solution.

As far as the sharks being there in the first place....EFF THAT CRAP!   

Last weekend here on the Cape Cod it was Africa hot and people are only swimming up to their ankles!   I call B.S.!  on that whole who came first!

Go climb a rock sir!  

They have 3 shark bouys off Marshfield and the one off of Fieldston pinged 300 times last year and thats only the sharks that are tagged

44 mins ago, S J Fish said:

They have 3 shark bouys off Marshfield and the one off of Fieldston pinged 300 times last year and thats only the sharks that are tagged

Yeah he or most likely she is abusing the Three Strike System I'd institute!   

That shark needs to be corralled and transported immediately to the coast of Mogadishu Somalia!