Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

Native American communities eat seals, a few restaurants in Canada may carry seal on the menu (I read that here.)  

It used to be used for cold-weather waterproof clothing, I think. I wonder if anyone other than the odd Inuit seamstress still makes that stuff? Probably not.

23 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Surprised they don't have a shark tag sensing buoys off Nantasket.  I know plymouth and marshfield have them now.

The one off Fieldston/ Rexhame pinged 300 times last year

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Wouldn't do much good, according to Skomal most of the shark visiting the cape don't have any tags anyway.

That is the wrong attitude.  The data would be useful and if its only 10% of time sharks are present on the beach it could be that one day was going to be an attack and closing the beach prevented it.  Every little bit helps trust me.

I agree its not going to be a solid plan to keep people safe, but it would be an easy step to take that would possibly give early warning.  They still would need to do a lot more and I am not a seal hugger so as far as I am concerned population control is fine.

In Iraq if the mortar round landed inside the protective barriers you were probably getting hit.  But if you got on

the ground the chance was still lower.  I always hit the dirt it was not fun but I also never got hit by shrapnel.  My RTO had a bad attitude and never hit the dirt because he felt it was a pain the ass and would not really help anyways.  He got shrapnel in his ass one day.  Fortunately it was not a major injury.  Even of there is only a small chance an action can prevent you or others getting hurt you should take it every time.  

2 hours ago, S J Fish said:

I did not know that but I am glad I don't go deeper than knee deep in Scituate or Marshfield.  Seems like my apprehension was justified.

2 hours ago, S J Fish said:

Considering the length of the GW "season," that's roughly 3 times a day.

Which means GWs were in the vicinity of the buoy, pretty much 24/7, for months

Posted (edited) · Report post

Question regarding the bouys.

Do these bouys report the pings in real time? It was my understanding they record the ping, then the harbormaster has to go out, remove the chip, the download the data onto his laptop or phone.   Am I mistaken?

Edited by bob_G

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

Do these bouys report the pings in real time? It was my understanding they record the ping, then the harbormaster has to go out, remove the chip, the download the data onto his laptop or phone.   Am I mistaken?

Good question Bob, I too would like to know the answer.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Looks like most are still manually downloaded but they are integrating more real time buoys

https://capecodchronicle.com/en/5321/chatham/3044/Tracking-Sharks-In-Real-Time-Possible-With-High-tech-Buoy-Sharks.htm

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I did not know that but I am glad I don't go deeper than knee deep in Scituate or Marshfield.  Seems like my apprehension was justified.

It.s 300yds offshore, but considering that most of the tagged sharks are off the backside of the Cape it's alarming no doubt

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I coined the phrase "Shark Humpers".  :laugh:

Now google it and there's the guy I decided to call a S.H. after someone here posted a photo of him laying some pipe dry humping a shark in the cockpit .   LOL!

On 9/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Well apparently i was wrong Hull did add shark buoys.  @beerdoh pointed this out today that GWs were detected off Nantasket.

BDC4FA98-1294-4603-BA32-CD7A4B9415F2.png

Man I was wading out to rocks in fairly deep water there of late.....

31 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

A captain I know had a great white take a bite (or try to) out of the head of a giant he hooked and eventually landed. Didn’t damage the meat tho

No photos?