AdrianF

Swords

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anybody been targeting swords lately?  Finally made it to the deep the other week and went 2 for 5.  Bouy rod got most of the bites since we were marking them a good bit off the bottom.  Sounds like lots around should be a phenomenal fall....

18035.jpeg

We keep telling ourselves we're going to try the "daytime sword deep drop" deal, but get sucked into Tuna, then Mahi, then Tile every single time.

We have no discipline.

Heard it said a few times once u deep drop em you stop caring about 30 pound yellowfins...its true lol.  

Suprisingly easy to do also.  

On 7/22/2019 at 5:45 PM, JoeyZac said:

We keep telling ourselves we're going to try the "daytime sword deep drop" deal, but get sucked into Tuna, then Mahi, then Tile every single time.

We have no discipline.

This^^

On 7/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, AdrianF said:

Anybody been targeting swords lately?  Finally made it to the deep the other week and went 2 for 5.  Bouy rod got most of the bites since we were marking them a good bit off the bottom.  Sounds like lots around should be a phenomenal fall....

18035.jpeg

You doing this up here or in FL?

Nope.  All hand crank.  

Do have a drill & reel crankie for just retrieving the baits which works great.  

Electrics not neccesary.  And the ones good enough for swords are pretty pricey.  

3 hours ago, AdrianF said:

Nope.  All hand crank.  

Electrics not neccesary.  And the ones good enough for swords are pretty pricey.  

Yeah, its safe to say I'll never own an LP.

I've fished the Dendohs before, don't think they're beefy enough for swords though.  And even they are expensive.

Can you talk about what kind of structure you are fishing?  Bumps in the deep?

1 hour ago, makorider said:

Yeah, its safe to say I'll never own an LP.

I've fished the Dendohs before, don't think they're beefy enough for swords though.  And even they are expensive.

Can you talk about what kind of structure you are fishing?  Bumps in the deep?

Hooker and lp are the only two that seem to hold up long term.  Both like 3500$ and better.  

We use a penn 50w n a 70 loaded with 80lb metered braid.  Either are fine.  Texas boys are using talica 50s and they catch a ton and that's closer in size to a 30.  

There's a **** ton of structure out there.  It really is amazing.  Bumps holes ledges valleys etc..... Only thing I've noticed so far is that marking deep bait and fish is what u want more so than a specific spot. Need a sounder that can read good to the depths ur fishing...we focus on 1200 to 1800.  But some guys are finding them shallower but we havent really tried it yet. It can be the best looking structure but if there's no bait I've found dont even bother.  

If they're around you will find out suprisingly quick.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:52 AM, AdrianF said:

Can you provide some more info on this?  Thanks.

19 hours ago, quiknet said:

Can you provide some more info on this?  Thanks.

18v cordless drill with a reel crankie.  Look up reel crankie.  It latches on handle to crank it in.  There like 150$. Plus the drill. 

Bring a few batterys or a charger.  It can drain them pretty quick.  

5 hours ago, AdrianF said:

18v cordless drill with a reel crankie.  Look up reel crankie.  It latches on handle to crank it in.  There like 150$. Plus the drill. 

Bring a few batterys or a charger.  It can drain them pretty quick.  

Thanks.  Going to have to bring extra batts as I have no way of charging the batterys onboard.

Have you run into any bigeyes while doing the deep dropping?