Sudsy

Loomis rods - now that they're owned by Shimano......

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what to do here

My older (and much loved) Loomis Premier 6' 6", up to 1 oz, rod just had a fail

Putting a reel on it for tomorrow, the real seat busted loose and is doing the spin around the rod thing

It's a lifetime warranty stick so the question is - are the Shimano Loomis's as good as they once were

Should I do the warranty thing or should I strip the blank and do a rebuild ?

Rebuild if you love the rod, the rod they'll give you will not feel the same, is probably in the GL2-GL3 range, too fast for your liking.

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

My older (much loved) Loomis Premier 6' 6", up to 1 oz, rod just had a fail

Putting a reel on it for tomorrow, the real seat busted loose and is doing the spin around the rod thing

It's a lifetime warranty stick so the question is - are the Shimano Loomis's as good as they once were

I'm curious, is it an SJR783?  Loomis didn't have too may 6-1/2' rods.  I have a two piece SJR783-2 that I love.  It's a GL3.  Years ago I caught my first fish from the beach, a fluke, with that rod.  If that's the rod in question, I'd repair it unless it's still available from Loomis.

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

My older (and much loved) Loomis Premier 6' 6", up to 1 oz, rod just had a fail

I have this same rod (one of my favorites) and my buddy snapped about 2 1/2 inches off the top about 5 years ago. I still don't know what to do with it, other than see it in the garage every now and then and get depressed.

If the cork hand are in good shape, I would try my best to save and reuse the old cork handle. Those old cork handle are WAY WAY better than what they are using now. 

It's been around so long I don't remember exactly how old it is

I only use it on boats, so it's seen very little use.

I'm going to talk to Shimano tomorrow and then decide

1 hour ago, Romer Treece said:

I have this same rod (one of my favorites) and my buddy snapped about 2 1/2 inches off the top about 5 years ago. I still don't know what to do with it, other than see it in the garage every now and then and get depressed.

Install a tip top on it and keep using it! 

2 hours ago, Romer Treece said:

If your rod wasn't discontinued and if they still have some they'll replace for a $50.00 shipping fee, but if it is discontinued and you want a loomis  they'll give you an option to upgrade and pay the difference or they'll give you a shimano rod.

Rods from early to mid 80’s .  Entry level PP , very good rod for the $$$ !

Hasn’t  been made in years , closes to it was GL2 -3 models ! 

IM 6 was the best rod they offered during this time frame, this is prior to IMX intro . 

I can't give an opinion on the rod quality now that they are owned by Shimano, but I can give an opinion on their customer service....

I bought a GLoomis IMX Pro fly rod last winter and fished it in FL for a week. I brought 3 rods and this one got less than 1/3 the use. I went to use it one afternoon and noticed a slight scratch about 2" long on it. I take really good care of my gear and I knew I didn't do anything to get that scratch. It was just cosmetic but it bugged me. As the week went on I noticed other small scratches and blemishes on the finish. I think that some people wouldn't mind, but it wasn't a cheap rod and I'm picky with brand new gear. I have 10 year old rods that don't show scratches like that.

When I got home I called Shimano and they said email pics which I did. They emailed back and said it didn't look like a warranty issue but if I wanted I could send it back to be looked at. I wrote a letter and sent the rod back.

I got no answer and started getting annoyed after a couple of weeks. But then a brand new rod showed up at my door! I use this one all the time and have had no problems with scratches or other defects in the finish.