Badtothebugs

Florida panhandle members.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Just curious how many members on here live in the panhandle of Florida? I suspect not too many. 

If so what is your general area and your preferred type of fishing. Maybe we can get together to fish.

I live somewhere in between pensacola and Panama City, dont want to get too specific in the open here.

My first love is trout fishing the flats and bayous especially around dock lights. But this year ive been really getting into fishing the pier. Looking to get my first land based king. Havent caught kings since middle school.

I fish saltwater out of Port St. Joe.

The family had a house in Mexico Beach since the early 90s, but it became ocean debris in October. We've not gotten to the coast since before the hurricane

6 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

I fish saltwater out of Port St. Joe.

The family had a house in Mexico Beach since the early 90s, but it became ocean debris in October. We've not gotten to the coast since before the hurricane

Sorry to hear that. Michael did quite a number on that area. I havent made it over there bit ive heard there is great fishing to be had

3 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

Do you mostly fish from land/wading?

Yep, had to sell my kayak last year in a short stint of being broke so now I wade flats, scope out dock lights that I can gain access to, (only condos no private homes not looking to get shot.) Fishing the pier is my choice of location the last few months. Ive bought much new tackle getting all set up for that. I also do a good amount of mullet netting. I really enjoy fried mullet filets.

Most saturdays and sundays I go to the pier amd Monday and Tuesday nights I hit up the dock lights. 

Awesome man. 

I'm with you about the mullet fillets; fried mullet roe isn't bad either. I've not had a chance to to fish at the coast this year.

I need to get down there and catch a mess of Kings and Spanish. I'll smoke those then freeze them in a vac sealed bag to make some Christmas mackerel dip.

27 mins ago, mwhitt80 said:

Awesome man. 

I'm with you about the mullet fillets; fried mullet roe isn't bad either. I've not had a chance to to fish at the coast this year.

I need to get down there and catch a mess of Kings and Spanish. I'll smoke those then freeze them in a vac sealed bag to make some Christmas mackerel dip.

Love the roe as well, most people hate on mullet but it's fantastic.

If you ever make it down shoot me a message 

17 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Yep, had to sell my kayak last year in a short stint of being broke so now I wade flats, scope out dock lights that I can gain access to, (only condos no private homes not looking to get shot.) Fishing the pier is my choice of location the last few months. Ive bought much new tackle getting all set up for that. I also do a good amount of mullet netting. I really enjoy fried mullet filets.

Most saturdays and sundays I go to the pier amd Monday and Tuesday nights I hit up the dock lights. 

Is it possible to catch mullet on hook and line as well?

9 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Is it possible to catch mullet on hook and line as well?

It is, its a dying practice though.  There are several 'mullet holes' up in the rivers that have been baited for years with sinking animal feed. You go out and throw out the bait to get them right under the boat. From here there are two approaches. You need a very light rod to feel the tiniest of hits. On your line you tie a few treble hooks with a small weigjt at bottom and when you feel a fish rub your line you jerk up to try to snag the fish.

The other method js to use very small bare gold hooks and the mullet will actually bite those hooks.

Ive never been I just read a lot about all types of fishing. Believe it or not guys fill coolers with these methods.

8 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

It is, its a dying practice though.  There are several 'mullet holes' up in the rivers that have been baited for years with sinking animal feed. You go out and throw out the bait to get them right under the boat. From here there are two approaches. You need a very light rod to feel the tiniest of hits. On your line you tie a few treble hooks with a small weigjt at bottom and when you feel a fish rub your line you jerk up to try to snag the fish.

The other method js to use very small bare gold hooks and the mullet will actually bite those hooks.

Ive never been I just read a lot about all types of fishing. Believe it or not guys fill coolers with these methods.

Interesting. Seems like a unique ultralight adventure. 

19 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Did a little research and this is what Georgia DNR says about Striped Mullet.

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 2.33.18 PM.png

I dont doubt that bait would work but most guys swear by the bare hook method. I heard they fight pretty hard too.  Look up videos about commercial fishing during the mullet run. You'll see nets so full that it takes 2 men to get it on the boat. That's what I would love to do.

1 min ago, Badtothebugs said:

I dont doubt that bait would work but most guys swear by the bare hook method. I heard they fight pretty hard too.  Look up videos about commercial fishing during the mullet run. You'll see nets so full that it takes 2 men to get it on the boat. That's what I would love to do.

Oh no, I don't doubt that bare hooks work :howdy:. That sounds like a blast. 

I gotta learn how to use my cast net.