Cjcast

3-Tand T-90

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am looking to get a new reel to use on my Orvis  Clearwater 9wt.  I think I am leaning toward the 3-Tand T-90.  I was curious of others opinions of it, or suggestions for a diffrent reel under $400.  

I'm in teh same boat for my 8 weight.  Everything I read about the Orvis Hydros SL IV (7-9) is really good.  There is one for sale on the forum now but I don't have enough posts to be able to buy it so help your self.

15 hours ago, Cjcast said:

I was looking at the Hydros, but I was leaning towards t-90, because the T-90 is completely sealed. 

Sealed fly reels. Many have  seals fitted but I don’t know of any currently in manufacture that are sand , salt or watertight if your reel gets a solid dunking.

An unsealed but easy take apart fly reel can be a much better bet than one that is sold as sealed but not easy to take apart to service.

mike

16 hours ago, Ab4usa said:

interesting 8 weight fly reel shootout by Trident (I think).  They seem quite taken with the Hydros

I love my hydros. Really is a fantastic reel. Especially for it's cost. I would definitely buy another. No experience with the 3 tand though 

Both my Son and I have 3 Tand. We like them. Smooth, rugged, like the drags. Never dunked them in the sand so not sure about that piece.

I really like my 3-Tand TF 50 trout reel - excellent quality all around. But I agree with Mike above - I don't think "sealed" drags should be looked at as the standard to be held up to. My favorite, best and longest lasting reels by far are high quality reels with cork drags that still work perfectly after using in the salt for 15+ years. So don't limit yourself to that.

You might also consider Galvan in that price range. I've got a Torque for 8wt that's a great reel and I think around $400 new.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

The guy who runs the store I have been going to suggested the Hydros, the t-90, and a Galvan(think it was a Rush).  Maybe I am making too big a deal out of the full sealed.  

Edited by Cjcast

I have a T90 and a T100 extra spool for my two hander. I wade deep and often drop it in the sand. Reel has been submerged every outing just about and I only occasionally rinse it off. I’m not easy on gear and it hasn’t let me down. 

17 mins ago, Cjcast said:

The guy who runs the store I have been going to suggested the Hydros, the t-90, and a Galvan(think it was a Rush).  Maybe I am making too big deal out of the full sealed.  

I think you might be. You'll do great with any of those reels. Just rinse it after you use it and lube it if the manufacturer calls for it. I'd put each of those in my hand and "fondle" it for a few minutes. The winner will let you know!

I have a couple of TF-50 reels for Trout fishing. I can't imagion a better looking, smoother operating or better designed reel at any price. They are just beautifully desinged and built. I've considered handed the T50 and 100 with thoughts of picking one up for some SW use.

I don't think anybody can argue that they are not up to the task. They are built like a tank ( a really good looking tank :-)).  That said, the only drawback I see witht ehm is tha the tend to be wider and smaller in diamiter. Not truely a large arbor (which isn't a deal breaker but worth noting.)

The TX-80 is also nice series.

BTW, I have also handled the Hydros SL mentioned above. It's a better value IMHO . My biggest gripe with that one is the tiny , notched drag knob . You can get a Hydros IV on line with a $75 linecredit for about $240. That's a heck of a deal!

On 23/07/2019 at 5:46 PM, Stripsettter said:

I have a T90 and a T100 extra spool for my two hander. I wade deep and often drop it in the sand. Reel has been submerged every outing just about and I only occasionally rinse it off. I’m not easy on gear and it hasn’t let me down. 

Be a good idea to strip down and service. I do this with my sealed reels now.

They had sand salt and water inside. Still functioned ok which can throw you a curve ball. But there comes a point when they fail. 

I am very brutal to my reels. 

Mike

On 7/22/2019 at 4:35 PM, Cjcast said:

I was looking at the Hydros, but I was leaning towards t-90, because the T-90 is completely sealed. 

I'd definitely go hydros.  I have two and love them both.  Best reel for the money and it is great in the salt.  I have a smaller 3 tand for trout and I like it but I would stick with the orvis stuff for bigger fish.