AbbyDaddy

Spinning vs Baitcaster reel seals

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Question on spinning reel sealing vs baitcaster sealing. I was on a charter this past weekend for fluke and saw the had alot of freshwater rated baitcasters on board for customers. 

Are freshwater baitcasters ok for boat use if it's not getting dunked? If so, would that logic apply to spinning reels? 

For example. Fuego LT has the magseal, but its cheaper counterpart Exceler LT is without a seal @ $20 cheaper on amazon. Are seals more important on spinning reels? sorry for asking a noob question. Thanks in advance for all the replies!

Yes, they're perfectly fine not being sealed. Seals aren't as important for boat tackle. I'd avoid serious splashing if possible. The most popular fluking baitcasters aren't sealed. Also, most all larger conventional reels aren't sealed, and they've always worked.

I don’t believe any reels with revolving spools can be sealed. Rinsing and maintenance is mandatory. These oft dunked/ splashed freshwater Shimanos have been humming along in the salt for about ten years.

3D90CE0C-4A9B-4723-A32F-076BDC58E012.jpeg

I'm on my 3rd season with a Quantum Smoke HD BC on my fluke set up that I only use in my kayak. It gets splashed regularly. Just rinse them off and its smooth as the day I got it.

Are baitcasters just better with the saltwater application? some review videos are adamant on not using freshwater spinning reels in saltwater environment. i.e. exceler LT warning that it will sieze up and corrode. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, AbbyDaddy said:

Are baitcasters just better with the saltwater application? some review videos are adamant on not using freshwater spinning reels in saltwater environment. i.e. exceler LT warning that it will sieze up and corrode. 

A lot of what makes a freshwater reel better able to withstand the corrosive effects of saltwater has to do with the materials used in the reel, how the reel was assembled, and the quality of the materials used in making the reel; whether it is a baitcasting or spinning reel.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

46 mins ago, cheech said:

I don’t believe any reels with revolving spools can be sealed. Rinsing and maintenance is mandatory. These oft dunked/ splashed freshwater Shimanos have been humming along in the salt for about ten years.

3D90CE0C-4A9B-4723-A32F-076BDC58E012.jpeg

Proper maintenance is everything.

Have been using my zillion SV TWS for a few years. No issues. I keep the levelwind lubed and break it down to make sure it's all good every year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, cheech said:

This is one of the reels in the picture at the end of last season.

5189B189-49BF-4F37-8E5C-26F674150B7A.jpeg

That looks like crap, seriously, its all over the gears.:D

That is pretty awesome that you have kept those reels working over that long of a period of time.:th:

Edited by Beastly Backlash

12 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That looks like crap, seriously, its all over the gears.:D

I just bought a LEXA400 HD and now I'm afraid to bring it out on the jetty seeing that. I guess I have another boat reel on my hands.

2 hours ago, RockRonin said:

I just bought a LEXA400 HD and now I'm afraid to bring it out on the jetty seeing that. I guess I have another boat reel on my hands.

I was just having some fun with Cheech, that is grease on those gears in the pictures. For the reels to have held up as they have is a testament to the original build quality and Cheech's method of maintenance.

Your reel will be fine.

Just a rinse after use and maintenance.

1 hour ago, AbbyDaddy said:

holy crap. that is pretty crazy. Is baitcaster easier to perform maintenance?

There really isn't a differance in reel maintenance ease or difficulty between the two reel types.