air bnb hosts guests and site moderators

Rate this topic

bronson

My son and I lucked out with an AirBnB in April 2018 in Marathon, FL for a week of fishing the Keys.  The owners were new to AirBnB and had just built out the rental area, which was spotless and very nice.  They didn't mind that we used their hose to rinse off our rods and leave the rods standing in the small private deck we used, nor did they mind rinsed off surf bags on that same deck.

I could see that other owners might not be keen to have four rods leaning up in the corner of a deck, or wouldn't even think of having a hose for anglers to use.

Renting from a fellow SOL'r would (I think) mean the the landlord would be somewhat aware of anglers' needs.

I could see this taking a couple of different forms, both of which involve two new BST forums ("Available to rent" + "Want to rent", both of which would be subordinate to "Rentals")

1.  Links to AirBnB-listed properties

2.  Native listings in the BST

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

right on southcoast....inre want to rent and available to rent....  and as others said we do have our ways ..ie not everyone wants someone staying that is up and gearing up in the middle of the night to fish a tide....and it would b cool to have a rod rinse area and a fish cleaning station etc etc.  

I would definitely be interested. I have a summer place in Shinnecock L.I. /Hamptons NY that I would totally feel more comfortably renting or swapping with a SOL member than a random stranger.   We rented a few times on VRBO when we bought the place but then stopped.   I think this is a good idea if It could be worked out.  

You know what they say about common sense right...it ain't so common

20 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

I would definitely be interested. I have a summer place in Shinnecock L.I. /Hamptons NY that I would totally feel more comfortably renting or swapping with a SOL member than a random stranger.   We rented a few times on VRBO when we bought the place but then stopped.   I think this is a good idea if It could be worked out.  

Did something go wrong with VRBO?

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

1 min ago, fishless said:

Did something go wrong with VRBO?

No,   we received a lot of requests  and turned down many bookings  that VRBO/Homeaway eventually requested that we remove our listing until we were ready To accept more bookings.   My wife and I were just excited about the place and wanted to enjoy the summer .   The honeymoon is over so to speak so I would consider renting or swapping again but would want to be more selective with the people, the last renters stained our new beige slipcover couch so that was kind of the last straw.

You know what they say about common sense right...it ain't so common

15 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

No,   we received a lot of requests  and turned down many bookings  that VRBO/Homeaway eventually requested that we remove our listing until we were ready To accept more bookings.   My wife and I were just excited about the place and wanted to enjoy the summer .   The honeymoon is over so to speak so I would consider renting or swapping again but would want to be more selective with the people, the last renters stained our new beige slipcover couch so that was kind of the last straw.

I had a bad experience with a VRBO rental a few years back.  After checking out the owners said we damaged the sheets with stains.  They sent pics and the sheets looked like someone applied spray tan then rolled around in the beds.  Only explanation I had was their well water was stained and came out on the sheets during the wash cycle.  In any event the refused to refund my deposit.  And I am 100% certain the sheets were not stained when we left.  I removed em and left them in the hamper by the washer.  Continue to use VRBO annually without issue.  But I'll be looking forward to using AirSOL in the future. 

1 min ago, fishless said:

I had a bad experience with a VRBO rental a few years back.  After checking out the owners said we damaged the sheets with stains.  They sent pics and the sheets looked like someone applied spray tan then rolled around in the beds.  Only explanation I had was their well water was stained and came out on the sheets during the wash cycle.  In any event the refused to refund my deposit.  And I am 100% certain the sheets were not stained when we left.  I removed em and left them in the hamper by the washer.  Continue to use VRBO annually without issue.  But I'll be looking forward to using AirSOL in the future. 

I might be able to sneak you in to the ri house a day or two if you have some $$$$$

15 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

I might be able to sneak you in to the ri house a day or two if you have some $$$$$

Funny you should say, mind reader jedi stuff going on with you.  We shall discuss. 

I use AirBnb regularly and love the idea.... Separate group in the BST maybe? Would be nice to both help a fellow member with income, and kind of know the person you're staying with, even if virtually....... 

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it...." - Harry Middleton