travisoneil

7/28 - 8/5 Frisco fishing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tried to find some input but to no avail on what to throw during the first week of August.  I usually wait till Sept to make the trip, unfortunately my vacation hit early August.  

I know it's kind of the dead season for drums or blues but I'm still wetting lines.

I'm looking to throw alot more than usual, possibly yak the currituck.

Needing some lure advice.  I know Whiting and pompano are about (and flounder), but I need some input.  Plugs?  Jigs?  Just soak bait lol?  

Edited by travisoneil

The dates you show would be much better than August but I'd soak bait and chase flounder though I hear they are running small this year. 

Byron's intro to surf fishing OBX that is pinned at the top has great info.  

I am usually vacationing around that time, mostly a few miles north in Avon.  But similar fishing.  I usually take a few trips to Buxton if the Point is open, or fish the jetties for something different.  Also hit the pier if there is a light east wind, which usually has some bluefish or Spanish in.

Fish early morning and evening.  If the water is on the clear side, then throw metals for bluefish and Spanish.  If they aren't cooperating, then I go after the sea mullet and hopefully get a pompano or black drum mixed in.  I use small high/low or River rigs with sand fleas.  Lighter weight to let them move around in the wash.  In the evening, finger mullet in the ocean should have some bluefish action if they aren't taking the metals.

Many say that the "John Skinner" flounder approach works - check Youtube.  I will verify if it does this year myself (although about 100 miles south of Frisco).

If you take a kayak, you should up your chances at catching fish, since shore access is limited by foot.  There is still a lot of good shore fishing access (at least in the Avon/Buxton area), I haven't really explored Frisco much (have tried to convince my family to give it a try).  I've come to the realization, that fishing the back side, ends up with more willing fish.  I love fishing the ocean side, with sand on the feet and waves crashing and really don't know what could end up biting, but just seems to be more action in the back.  Usually a trout, flounder or small drum willing to play.  Often seeing a ton of bait getting chased around and usually end up seeing some bigger fish cruising around.  Check out the Salvo discussion.  Take the advice that guys are noting, look at the satellite view of Frisco, and will give you a good idea of where to fish.  You can see much of what is noted on those views.

Check the "1fish2fish" Youtube channel.  They are a couple that fish the OBX a good bit and share some great information.  I'm not sure if they ever fish Frisco in August, but pretty sure the techniques they go over will work (although work much better at certain times of the year).  If you have a cast net, you can get a bunch of live finger mullet and a few shrimp to use as live bait as well if those gulp and other lures are not working.  

If you put the time in and conditions aren't horrible, you will catch some fish.  It isn't spring or fall, so I wouldn't expect to crush fish like many do at that time.  But you should end up with enough to make things fun and a fish fry or two, if you are into that.  No real need for the bull drum gear (although you never know).  I usually pack my pool stick, but rarely ever use it.  Hooking into a large ray one year, cut an hour out of my 3-4 hour window to chase other fish.  No doubt that it is fun battling those monsters.  Just comes down to preference.

Great info pork and I appreciate it.  

I am packing mainly medium gear, but still taking the big rods for dusk fishing.  I was lucky to have em last year with a ray that also cut my fishing for an hour lol.

I recently watched a youtube video on zone fishing which many avid surf guys probably utilize but I havent.  Gonna give that a go this year.

I do have a cast net, we usually spend the nights wading the sound for flounder with the gig and netting bluecrab (both regulation size of course).  The light locates the mullet for sure.

That sounds like a fun night activity.  Not sure about Frisco, but the right winds at night, supposedly push some nice size red drum in close on the sound side.  Not sure if that would mean a blow from the north would do the same for Frisco & Hatteras?  Something to ask Frisco Rod & Gun, unless one of the guys in the know chimes in.

I usually stay out of frisco rod and gun and keep my business at Bob's bait and tackle, but I'll ask them for sure.  Seems like they are on a more personal level.

And the night gigging is such a blast!  I got a new light and gig this year so I'm excited to try it out

Keep us posted on your results. I'll be about 25 minutes north of you from 8/3-8/11, so any recent reports would be much appreciated. 

Been out front the last few mornings in Nags Head.

A few kingfish on fishbites for my troubles...

Threw some meat last evening hoping for some blues action to no avail..

Early yesterday morning the spot were out in force..

Not really what I was after, but switched to some light tackle and it was fun to play for a bit.

pulled a couple dozen or so in about an hour...

A few of us did the head boat thing in the afternoon..

small flounder and  sea mullet mostly, with a mix of bait fish mixed in...