coastalfreak

Anyone fish bucktails underneath a float?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Maybe this is a stupid idea. 

I was just wondering: would it be possible to fish a bucktail in shallow water underneath something like a popping cork? Just twitching the popping cork would make the jig flutter up and back down, possibly. 

The bucktail would obviously have to be light, such as a 1/2 oz pompano jig or the like. 

Just a weird thought I had. 

You CAN fish anything any way you want lol.

But I dont see why it wouldn't work just fine. I like a doa shrimp "horn hooked" under popping corks

1 min ago, C.Robin said:

That is basically an egg float setup, which can be very effective when fish are on small bait. 

It’s strange casting eggs are prevalent in RI and not utilized much of anywhere else. 

I use casting eggs all the time in jersey and Delaware and catch plenty of fish. Even works really good for snag and drop with peanut bunker around

From the pics I just saw of a casting egg. The closest thing to a casting egg we use down on the gulf coast is a bubble rig. You can put anything behind it with a 18" leader. gotcha plug, spoon, rubber straw on treble hook, small x-rap, and thread relevant, a bucktail. Great for Spanish and dolphin.

Saltys casting eggs are on point and I throw tsunami split tail minnows under them all the time.....I don’t see why a bucktail wouldn’t work just as well.

14 mins ago, fishbites said:

I use casting eggs all the time in jersey and Delaware and catch plenty of fish. Even works really good for snag and drop with peanut bunker around

I agree they are used elsewhere, you are totally correct (and an example!), but they are most prevalent in RI from what I understand. 

Was in Surfland a few months back, which is a very legit fisherman’s B&T, and a young employee (probably high school) was showing few of the other employees a production casting egg some manufacturer or independent builder had dropped off. It was pretty sweet looking, glowing white with nice through wrap and good looking hook nail. They couldn’t wrap their heads around it. 

I’m building some for the fall to try out. Wood egg from a craft store, drilled through, some wire, can of paint, and a small finishing nail. We’ll see if it’s effective. When fish are eating small bait and are out of reach, can give the extra weight needed to make it casting distance. 

D4B06FC9-887A-4D4A-AFE9-89C19884C1D9.jpeg

Yes casting egg and small bucks can be deadly .. and yes most eggs float but you can weight them how ya please ..  I get mine loaded so the can float 1/2 oz of lead on them but 3/4 sinks them ..  it’s fun watching that egg go under .. feels like gill fishing back in the day 

Here's one take on a "bucktail" under a "float".

Caught multiple Spanish on this rig today

Its filled with water and makes bubbles as you retrieve. Gives you enough weight to cast out the straw rig that works so well

Never seen one of those wooden eggs before

20190721_212701.jpg

15637625868442602942598459603898.jpg

2 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Here's one take on a "bucktail" under a "float".

Caught multiple Spanish on this rig today

Its filled with water and makes bubbles as you retrieve. Gives you enough weight to cast out the straw rig that works so well

Never seen one of those wooden eggs before

20190721_212701.jpg

15637625868442602942598459603898.jpg

It seems like a similar setup. 

The casting egg is unique in that it’s mainly to gain distance.

If you look at VSS’s picture closely you’ll see how the hook is on a small nail (or whatever material is used) and when in flight or hitting the water it releases. 

(Steve- obviously feel free to correct my analysis, you know more about this than I’ll ever learn)

FA6E3BD8-37A4-4F25-8BCE-8E93BDCD96AD.jpeg

1 min ago, PlumFishing said:

It seems like a similar setup. 

The casting egg is unique in that it’s mainly to gain distance.

If you look at VSS’s picture closely you’ll see how the hook is on a small nail (or whatever material is used) and when in flight or hitting the water it releases. 

(Steve- obviously feel free to correct my analysis, you know more about this than I’ll ever learn)

FA6E3BD8-37A4-4F25-8BCE-8E93BDCD96AD.jpeg

That is pretty dang smart. Maybe I can find some way to rig a bubble with that hook holding feature