coastalfreak

How to fish the bucktail (in the south)

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some tactics to fish bucktails in Georgia and Florida in the surf and off the pier. It seems like bucktails wouldn't have any action without a trailer, so how do you guys like to fish them?

A gulp swimming mullet as a trailer or a strip of squid or twister tail grub and adding small , say inch long piece of shrimp to the hook for scent and taste will increase your odds quite a bit. Try swimming it near the bottom , also bouncing it off the bottom  or twitching it john skinner fluke style. Experiment, you'll catch and learn.:howdy:

I guess Skinner was here in Daytona last winter. Local tackle shop owner wants me to teach him to bucktail since he found out I knew john and fished same beaches as him. Had to break it to him im not as good .

Off the beach? There’s a bazillions ways to fish bucktails and all of them work. For snook cast along the beach lip, sometimes a fast retrieve, sometimes slow with little twitches, sometimes somewhere in between! Anything that’ll go for a spoon will go for a flashy bucktail retrieved fast. Bottom feeders will hit a small bucktail tipped with something that smells good retrieved slowly along the bottom. Bouncing it off the bottom works well.

i know some think color is less important but my white bucktails out fish all other colors, particularly tied with lots of flash. Lots of people don’t bother about the head shape but of the several molds I have popeye heads seem to work best for me, banana heads work much less consistently but are great for when the fish are out far because they cast a bit further.

tipped with soft plastic works well but I mostly have a rabbit hair (zonker) tied to the shank for great action and better durability.

use gulp if you want, it works but here these great bitten off so much I don’t bother.

5114BEDA-DA71-4449-B285-7699F5F2C8C8.jpeg

45C2E31A-1174-460E-9BA6-0DF394E7EA31.jpeg

1C790101-E2D2-4ABD-96CF-9FD962B34979.jpeg

AB8F966E-FCB1-4DD2-BBD4-0AB4B0654FE4.jpeg

Almost every BT head has its place . Off the beach banana style is my favorite . Don’t think small won’t catch big fish as my 1/4 oz hooked hooked 42” Snook 

6668B8C8-8B9F-428C-9FA4-BE143D59AEC5.jpeg.1a12767e4b02e2b113689b585dbd3cfe.jpeg

Also like the Conch Salad style by black fly 

CBAEEF96-729C-49BE-A241-80494ADE595E.jpeg.25639e0d86efc67c3a84276bf48c2049.jpeg

let it drop pop pop drop pop pop it’s pretty easy 

Edited by Hook I

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Almost every BT head has its place . Off the beach banana style is my favorite . Don’t think small won’t catch big fish as my 1/4 oz hooked hooked 42” Snook 

6668B8C8-8B9F-428C-9FA4-BE143D59AEC5.jpeg.1a12767e4b02e2b113689b585dbd3cfe.jpeg

Also like the Conch Salad style by black fly 

CBAEEF96-729C-49BE-A241-80494ADE595E.jpeg.25639e0d86efc67c3a84276bf48c2049.jpeg

let it drop pop pop drop pop pop it’s pretty easy 

Those look killer!

This is not the first time I've read a post where someone said that bucktails do not have action. What type action are you looking for? No, they're not going to move like a spoon, or a jerkbait & certainly not like a plastic grub or swimbait, but they do have movement. How much depends on how they're tied.

Bucktail hair generally has a subtle movement to it and by rod tip manipulation it's possible to improve or get a more erratic movement. The jig itself can have different type of action depending on the head style and length of the hair used. 

As has been said here, there's many ways to fish them, many possible trailers that you can add to them, and various styles. Mix it up & try different things, including sizes & weights. 

There's a few places that I've fished here in SC, where I'll throw a 1/8 oz bucktail, and other places might be 1 oz. Rarely do I need heavier, but I will tie them with varied amounts of hair, and that changes the "action" and the fall rate. 

If you really think a bucktail has no action, why bother using them? Just add a plastic or Gulp, or whatever else you like to a bare jighead & fish it. However, you may still be missing out!