saltygator

What blank/rod is this?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just bought this prototype rod from someone who received it to test for Century many years ago. I don’t know too much about surf rods/rod building yet so I’m curious if anyone has any guesses on what blank this is or what it developed into. Just trying to make sure I didn’t overpay so trying to get a feel for the value 

It’s 11’, apparently throws 3 oz really well so it’s either 1-4 or 2-5. It weighs 12.34 oz. 

9E6B95D9-0030-48BD-ABA8-80327A7397DC.jpeg

D7FD4673-04DC-4454-93AC-FD88EB9CA579.jpeg

1D9A4939-1AC6-4320-B73A-C68195EE0605.jpeg

05D9D750-AA4B-4FD8-A02A-EA91FA01CE64.jpeg

0DC8B400-6F5B-45A2-96E6-7A97F3A08993.jpeg

Edited by saltygator

5 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

looks to be a winch rod and damn that's a long butt end.

you prolly got a deal though.

HH

I’ve never handled a rod over 9’ before so everything feels super long. The butt is 26.5”. The rod was used for roosterfish apparently but I’m using it for tarpon. 

Seller valued it at $400 so I’m not sure I got a good deal lol, I didn’t have that kind of cash so I traded stuff for it

2 mins ago, saltygator said:

I’ve never handled a rod over 9’ before so everything feels super long. The butt is 26.5”. The rod was used for roosterfish apparently but I’m using it for tarpon. 

Seller valued it at $400 so I’m not sure I got a good deal lol, I didn’t have that kind of cash so I traded stuff for it

looks like there is some wear on the cork,maybe 300 would be the right cost.

26.5 inches,,thats a lot for me,never was comfortable with anything more than 22.

at any rate it should work for you.

is it a winch rod?

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

looks like there is some wear on the cork,maybe 300 would be the right cost.

26.5 inches,,thats a lot for me,never was comfortable with anything more than 22.

at any rate it should work for you.

is it a winch rod?

HH

Definitely some marks of use here and there, nothing serious and will probably come off if I clean it. Sorry but I’m not sure what a winch rod is, is that a casting rod? This is a spinning surf rod 

Edited by saltygator

11 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Did the seller specify it as a spinning rod? Looks a lot like a casting rod. I know some spinning rods have those micro guides though

Yeah he did, apparently had the same reel as me on it as well. He’s a well known local rod builder and was the century rep for my area so I trusted him. The guides are small now that I look at it, the first guide is same size as my 7’ gloomis E6x so I’m kinda worried now 

32 mins ago, saltygator said:

Definitely some marks of use here and there, nothing serious and will probably come off if I clean it. Sorry but I’m not sure what a winch rod is, is that a casting rod? This is a spinning surf rod 

yes,a casting rod.

sry for the confusion but,you guessed it right so,you must be sharp,,,or kinda sharp,,,lol.

HH

16 mins ago, saltygator said:

Yeah he did, apparently had the same reel as me on it as well. He’s a well known local rod builder and was the century rep for my area so I trusted him. The guides are small now that I look at it, the first guide is same size as my 7’ gloomis E6x so I’m kinda worried now 

would easily work as a casting rod though.

HH

the fact that the reel seat threads are on the top indicates that the original builder set it up as a conventional, and likely, the rod spline is under the guides, as the rod building standard for maximum fish-fighting strength (and resistance to breakage during the fight) is to have the spline on top of the rod.  Conversely, distance casters swear by placing the spline on the bottom of the blank, so as to generate the most "release energy" during the cast.  I personally have built a CTS 13ft S8 rated for 180gm max and a St. Croix Premier 12ft rated for 16oz max with the spline on the bottom (as spinners) without issue, but they are extremely strong blanks in their design.

Without a model number of your rod, it is irresponsible for me to say that you will not eventually break the rod fishing it with the spline on the bottom (i.e., as a spinner). I suggest that you consult with Ryan White, as he is the Century USA rep and worked with Century to develop both the Slingshot and Stealth series blanks that are specific to East Coast Surf Fishing.

10 hours ago, saltygator said:

Pretty sure that's a Sling Shot 1327, 11' 2 to 5 oz.  That build is an early version of the "factory" or "pre-built " that was being offered.  With the length of that butt that's built as a conventional rod, the spinning version had a shorter butt. 

It's a very powerful rod and casts a mile.

While it has the power for Roosters definitely not the go to rod for Mexico.  Generally 12' are used for max distance and wave clearance. 

All that being said I'd say you have an early version of the Prebuilts. SS1327. Definitely not a custom. 

2 hours ago, FlatWing said:

the fact that the reel seat threads are on the top indicates that the original builder set it up as a conventional, and likely, the rod spline is under the guides, as the rod building standard for maximum fish-fighting strength (and resistance to breakage during the fight) is to have the spline on top of the rod.  Conversely, distance casters swear by placing the spline on the bottom of the blank, so as to generate the most "release energy" during the cast.  I personally have built a CTS 13ft S8 rated for 180gm max and a St. Croix Premier 12ft rated for 16oz max with the spline on the bottom (as spinners) without issue, but they are extremely strong blanks in their design.

Without a model number of your rod, it is irresponsible for me to say that you will not eventually break the rod fishing it with the spline on the bottom (i.e., as a spinner). I suggest that you consult with Ryan White, as he is the Century USA rep and worked with Century to develop both the Slingshot and Stealth series blanks that are specific to East Coast Surf Fishing.

Flatwing. Not sure where you have this info from regarding the spine but it is out dated. The spine has very little influence on rod performance both casting or fish fighting.

Nearly every mainstream rod company builds to line of best fit. So do most Custom Builders.

No rod is going to be compromised strength wise by how it is built with regard to the spine.

Mike

2 hours ago, AFMike said:

Pretty sure that's a Sling Shot 1327, 11' 2 to 5 oz.  That build is an early version of the "factory" or "pre-built " that was being offered.  With the length of that butt that's built as a conventional rod, the spinning version had a shorter butt. 

It's a very powerful rod and casts a mile.

While it has the power for Roosters definitely not the go to rod for Mexico.  Generally 12' are used for max distance and wave clearance. 

All that being said I'd say you have an early version of the Prebuilts. SS1327. Definitely not a custom. 

I suspected it was this rod.

Thank you for clearing it up that it’s a  conventional rod. Going to see if I could trade back or get a different one because this is a bit disappointing  

12 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Flatwing. Not sure where you have this info from regarding the spine but it is out dated. The spine has very little influence on rod performance both casting or fish fighting.

Nearly every mainstream rod company builds to line of best fit. So do most Custom Builders.

No rod is going to be compromised strength wise by how it is built with regard to the spine.

Mike

Following quote is from a May 9th 2018 article on Lamiglass' Blog (cannot post .com link):

In this article, we make distinctions between 'casting' and 'spinning' fishing rods. This is an essential piece of knowledge for purchasing a fishing rod or reel.

When a fishing rod blank is built, it is designed to bend in a certain way. At Lamiglas, we will test that bend (spine), and then build the finished rod according to the bend. A blank can be built into either a casting rod or a spinning rod, but the build must follow a specific process to work properly for either.

There are numerous YouTube videos by custom rod builders/rod building suppliers addressing finding the rod spine ass the 1st step in building a custom rod, here is the link to my search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fishing+rod+spine

Bottom line is, I have been building custom rods for myself and friends since 1981, and I was taught to place the Spine on the top of the rod.  Notably, some rods I have built had 2 spines, and determining the "stiffer" spine was something of a challenge, but in this case, it is the one I positioned to the top of the rod (i.e., guides on this spine for conventional, guides opposite for spinning).  Honestly, I was never aware of the opposite practice by Distance Casters until Bill Halpern built his CTS Spinner that way, and I then followed suit when I changed my Conventional S8 to spinning.

I suggest that we agree to disagree on our positions, and I will gladly accept the label of being "old school" vis-à-vis rod building and double haul timing while one hand fly casting.